Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Rory McIlroy May Forfeit European Tour Membership In 2019

Speaking to reporters Tuesday at the season-ending DP World Tour Championship, McIlroy said that he wants to play the best competition week-in and week-out, and “for the most part of the season, that is in America.”

To retain membership, McIlroy needs to play four regular European Tour events outside of the majors or World Golf Championship events. Currently, the world No. 7 is slated to play only two: the European Masters in Switzerland, and perhaps the Scottish Open instead of the Irish Open.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl
Jan 3, 2012
Rory McIlroy May Forfeit European Tour Membership In 2019

Speaking to reporters Tuesday at the season-ending DP World Tour Championship, McIlroy said that he wants to play the best competition week-in and week-out, and “for the most part of the season, that is in America.”

To retain membership, McIlroy needs to play four regular European Tour events outside of the majors or World Golf Championship events. Currently, the world No. 7 is slated to play only two: the European Masters in Switzerland, and perhaps the Scottish Open instead of the Irish Open.

seriously? he cant find four events to play?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
seriously? he cant find four events to play?

I don't blame him. The European Tour was putting up worse fields during their playoffs than the Fall Season PGA Tour events. Its vastly inferior, and its becoming not that different than Matsuyama on the Japanese Tour or Day on the Australian Tour. Play an event or two per season, but it hinders their game to play regularly. The travel adds up. Those who do less of it have an advantage.

This is awful for the European Tour. Their biggest name is considering leaving the tour.

Jan 3, 2012
I don't blame him. The European Tour was putting up worse fields during their playoffs than the Fall Season PGA Tour events. Its vastly inferior, and its becoming not that different than Matsuyama on the Japanese Tour or Day on the Australian Tour. Play an event or two per season, but it hinders their game to play regularly. The travel adds up. Those who do less of it have an advantage.

This is awful for the European Tour. Their biggest name is considering leaving the tour.

Is it though? I would be hard pressed to agree that the average middling ET player is much worse than the average middling PGA Tour player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it though? I would be hard pressed to agree that the average middling ET player is much worse than the average middling PGA Tour player.

Yes, look at the OWGR website. Last week PGA Tour was 40, European Tour was 34. The week before PGA Tour was 40, European Tour was 36.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Willett got his first win in over two years. He's been playing well in the last six months. I think he'll be back into the top 20 within the next year. It was looking like there was a chance he would be one of these major winners who wins a major, and then never accomplishes much else. But most of those golfers were never that good. Willett is a big talent, so I think we'll see him get back towards the top of game.

English golf is thriving right now. Rose is up there among the best in the world, Fleetwood is having big success, Willett has been pretty good the last six months. Hatton and Casey are right around the top 20 in the world. Poulter has had a resurgence. Wallace and Pepperell had breakout seasons. Fitzpatrick is doing just enough to keep himself on the radar, and Westwood recently showed that he might have one or two more chances left to win a major.

Jan 3, 2012
Maybe, but the top 20 is insanely deep right now. Willett is no better than most of the guys there. There are a good 10-15 players in the world I would say are close to elite right now and I wouldn't say any are head and shoulders better then the rest.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Enjoyed seeing Howell win. His peers always say great things about him, and he's very insightful in his interviews. A lot lament his lack of wins, but he owned it, and was able to close this one out.

Champ can play. He might become a superstar. He has at least 15 yards on every player on the tour. That is such a big advantage. The rest of his game has potential. When he learns to dial in his wedges better and gets more consistent around the green, he could be one of the best in the world.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think everyone knows he took the insurance money from the PGA Tour.

He should admit what happened with his career and keep some presence in the game. He doesn't have to be playing events, but at least keep a social media presence, be willing to do interviews when outlets ask for them and be up front about what happened. There are plenty who retired early who don't drop off the map.

His persona is such a weird one. He's golf's Bigfoot.

Jan 3, 2012
He took like $10 mill, no? He would've made more over the course of his career if he came back almost certainly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He took like $10 mill, no? He would've made more over the course of his career if he came back almost certainly.

Some say its close to 20M. 20M would be 77th on the all-time money list. Its a lot of money. There's no guarantee he'd make that much over the course of his career. He probably would, but he wasn't that good. He wasn't a star, he was closer to a Berger or Schauffele.

Jan 3, 2012
Some say its close to 20M. 20M would be 77th on the all-time money list. Its a lot of money. There's no guarantee he'd make that much over the course of his career. He probably would, but he wasn't that good. He wasn't a star, he was closer to a Berger or Schauffele.

His wiki page lists 12.2M in earnings upto 2012, when he would've been about 27. He easily could make 20M on top of that if he had 12M by 27.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
He probably would, but he wasn't that good. He wasn't a star, he was closer to a Berger or Schauffele.

This is definitely selling him short... I think a healthy Anthony Kim could've been at least on the level of Rickie with even more star power. Not sure he would've had the motivation to keep it at for a long time though, which is probably part of the reason he's still MIA.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is definitely selling him short... I think a healthy Anthony Kim could've been at least on the level of Rickie with even more star power. Not sure he would've had the motivation to keep it at for a long time though, which is probably part of the reason he's still MIA.

Lets count his accomplishments through 2010, which was his last good year.

3 PGA Tour wins, 4 second place finishes, three top 10's in majors through about 25 and a half.

Schauffele who will be 25 and a half in late April: 3 PGA Tour wins, two second place finishes, three top 10's in majors.

Schauffele has a couple of months to better Kim through Kim's good years. Very well could. He'll equal him with another two seconds, better him with a top 10 at the Masters or a win between now and late April.

Fowler turns 30 next month. He has four PGA Tour wins. He maintains a good ranking because he's good at finishing in the top 10. At some point, top tens don't matter, and you aren't that good if you can't win. I think Schauffele by 30 will have had a better career than Fowler at 30.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
It's possible that I may be procrastinating on my assignment a little bit, and I'm a little curious on the match, so....

Alright I admit it. I'm watching this right now even though I told myself I wouldn't. But at least I didn't pay for the PPV.

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad