Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2018-19 PGA Tour schedule (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am watching some of this opposite field event, and I can't help but not like what I'm seeing. 8 irons into 554 yard par 5's, shooting a couple under without hitting any fairways.

The importance of ball striking has become systematically eliminated the last 20 years from the highest levels of the game. When Ben Hogan or Jack Nicklaus were playing, there was way more skill and strategy involved. Jack Nicklaus was the longest hitter, but if thats all he was, he would've never won more than a major or two. There was rough. He had to hit mid/long irons. He couldn't bomb it with the driver every hole, and have 10 wedges/short irons per round.

Some of the historic courses are now losing their history. St. Andrews is the worst Open venue now when the wind doesn't blow. Too easy for the players. It wasn't made for 350 yard drives. Some of the most historic mid/long iron shots at Augusta can't be replicated now by today's stars. They have wedges/short irons into these holes that Palmer or Faldo had long irons into. The highlights are now the drives and 80% wedge swings.

There are a couple things that need to be done.

1. Dial the golf ball back. Jack Nicklaus has endorsed this.
2. Add some rough to these courses. It'll take away the long driving contest, if you are required to hit the fairway to score well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
It's really only a matter of time before the golf ball is rolled back. Courses continue to become too long and water consumption will become a bigger issue as they continue to lengthen.

I just wish they would play more links courses. Parkland courses are so boring most of the time. Bomb it and gouge it onto a dead flat green. Not really a test of who has the most skill at golf but rather who has the most skill at driving. And that goes back to another point on the perception of talent in golf... it really irks me when people talk about how talent a guy like DJ is because he can bomb it. I think somebody like Spieth is so much more talented than DJ because I believe short game and putting requires much more skill than driving. But people get sucked into the allure of driving it 330 yards every time

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was a myth all along about Foley and back injuries!

But it wasn’t just the speed. Foley couldn’t get over how quickly Champ could implement something new into his swing. Early in the week at Erin Hills, Foley worked with Champ on a move that would take the compression off his lower back. Champ first struggled with pain from bulging discs his freshman year at A&M. (It was Phil Mickelson’s physical therapist, Tom Boers, who ultimately brought relief, Jeff said.)

Amateur Cameron Champ’s stellar U.S. Open start brings family joy

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm more pro lengthening rough and really punishing players for missing the fairways, rather than rolling back the golf ball.

I get the reasons behind it, but it seems counter intuitive to not let players play to the best of their abilities with the tools that are available. Though I guess they do that in the MLB by only allowing wood bats.

Jan 3, 2012
I'll post this while he's leading incase anything happens...

Has Matt Kuchar's career been disappointing/has he underachieved?

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I had a bet on Lee to win.. huge odds.
Damn it.

wrong Lee

lee-westwood-nedbank-sunday-2018-trophy-campagne.jpg

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events