Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
True. But I am kind of lumping Cantlay in with the other two because he missed a couple seasons with the injury and tragedy.

But that matters. It’s unfortunate, but look how far behind his peers Cantlay is. If Phil started winning majors prior to his 30’s, maybe he’s the third best golfer ever. What if the Thanksgiving 2009 incident never happened with Tiger?

The best ever, Nicklaus, had basically no controversy, no injuries, no struggles in the biggest events at a certain point of his career. None of that. Longetivity matters towards legacies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Most interesting (and challenging) golf this weekend is played in Paris. Norén, Garcia, Rahm and Thomas all among the top roughly halfway and getting a good feel for the Ryder Cup course.

Sweden's biggest talent the last 5-10 years Marcus Kinhult is leading by a few strokes, though. Maybe his big breakthru if he could hold on during the weekend.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I really like how the Ryder Cup course plays out. It's not super long or anything like that but the fairways are reasonably narrow and the rough is US Open thick for the most part. Gonna be tricky when windy. However the fairways and greens(right now anyway, we'll see in September) are still soft enough to reward the good shots, as was shown by Garcia's 64(Par 71) today. Some of the greens are pretty small, but still fair, which will make for some great match playing golf. Some water here and there for the extra drama. Not gonna favor any style in particular I feel.

Something like eight of the guys in the top10 of the leaderboard has at least one double bogey on their card so far. Rahm has three. Leader(Kinhult) at -10, but only 17 guys are under par.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Crazy stuff in Paris.

Noren leading now in the clubhouse after a strong finish. Julian Suri got the nerves and hit the water on 18 to finish one behind. Both Sergio and Rahm have a triple bogey on the card but still has a playoff chance heading into 18. Wood in the leaderball will decide if there's playoff on -7.

Seen so many double and even triple whacks in the rough today.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yikes, Rahm in the water on 18. Sergio in small trouble too, gonna be hard pressed to birdie after missing the fairway.

Sergio now in the water trying to reach the green from the fairway bunker. That's one unforgiving hole.

Wood needs two pars for a playoff, which is no easy task.

Wood bogeys 17. Now needs birdie on 18, the hardest hole on the course.

--------------

Noren wins outright after starting the day seven shots back, and being five shots back with four holes to play.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Francesco Molinari is winning by 7 shots somehow. Like we saw with Stenson's performance at the 2016 Open; when players who are ballstriking gods but suck at putting finally get a hot tournament on the greens, it's Tiger-esque. Pretty much only happens once in a career it seems but it's incredible to watch.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Molinari also won at Wentworth and was 2nd in Italien Open the week after. Looks like he's gonna make the Ryder Cup team for sure now.

Wild cards? Stenson, Garcia, Poulter locks for me. But I hope at least one or two of them make it on points. What a waste to use wild cards on Stenson and Garcia. How did Hatton get all these points?

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the teams are really easy to pick this time around. European Team basically is just Fitzpatrick or Cabrera-Bello for spot 12, although I'd pick both and not take Poulter. US team is for spots 11 and 12, as long as Tiger and Phil don't qualify automatically. What direction will Furyk go? His friends on the tour or some younger players? Hard to know.

Europe Automatic Q's: Hatton, Rose, Fleetwood, Molinari, Rahm, Noren, McIlroy, Casey
Picks: Garcia, Stenson, Poulter, Fitzpatrick
Outside looking in: Cabrera-Bello, Olesen

USA Automatic Q's: Koepka, Johnson, Reed, Thomas, Watson, Spieth, Fowler, DeChambeau
Picks: Mickelson, Woods, Schauffele, Hossler
Outside looking in: Kuchar, Wise, Simpson

Jan 3, 2012
I think the teams are really easy to pick this time around. European Team basically is just Fitzpatrick or Cabrera-Bello for spot 12, although I'd pick both and not take Poulter. US team is for spots 11 and 12, as long as Tiger and Phil don't qualify automatically. What direction will Furyk go? His friends on the tour or some younger players? Hard to know.

Europe Automatic Q's: Hatton, Rose, Fleetwood, Molinari, Rahm, Noren, McIlroy, Casey
Picks: Garcia, Stenson, Poulter, Fitzpatrick
Outside looking in: Cabrera-Bello, Olesen

USA Automatic Q's: Koepka, Johnson, Reed, Thomas, Watson, Spieth, Fowler, DeChambeau
Picks: Mickelson, Woods, Schauffele, Hossler
Outside looking in: Kuchar, Wise, Simpson

Man that US team is f***ing stacked.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Moore and Holmes were picked instead of Thomas two years ago.

I was mad, and I will take a victory lap. :laugh:

I can't believe that DLIII didn't invite Justin Thomas. He invited all types of obscure golfers who probably won't win in the next five years, but didn't invite one of the 10 best American golfers who was in town for the event.

I'd hope the last pick would be Justin Thomas. I hope DLIII doesn't pick Furyk, but I think he might.

How can you not want Thomas on the team? 8th in the Fed Ex Cup standings, and only 23 years old. He has a win this season.

The US team consistently goes with the losing bunch of Furyk, Woods, Mickelson, Stricker, Kuchar, all those players. None of them play their best at the RC, I don't even know if they enjoy the Ryder Cup. Team needs to get younger, a group of golfers that doesn't have scar tissue from losing every single time.

How can you not pick Justin Thomas? That would be crazy not to pick him.

I didn't say Thomas was a top level golfer, but he's 23, he's young, he could bring the team a spark. He could play on the team for the next 20 years. Chappell's some very average player in the middle of his career who's had a career year, and will likely not have a year anywhere close to this year in the future. He hasn't even won a PGA Tour event in his career yet. He gets so many close finishes, but in the end, the top players usually find a way to win when its close.

THOMAS. JUSTIN.

It's an absolute joke if they take either Chappell or Moore.

Jan 3, 2012
Moore and Holmes were picked instead of Thomas two years ago.

I was mad, and I will take a victory lap. :laugh:

Yeah I recall for a while there were a lot of people saying JT was going to breakout into a star. I never paid a ton of attention to it because I wasn't super familiar with him.

I think you gotta be trying to take DeChambeau, Hossler and Cantlay this time around. I don't know how I feel about Schauffele tbh.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah I recall for a while there were a lot of people saying JT was going to breakout into a star. I never paid a ton of attention to it because I wasn't super familiar with him.

I think you gotta be trying to take DeChambeau, Hossler and Cantlay this time around. I don't know how I feel about Schauffele tbh.

Forgot about Cantlay, actually. I'd be fine with Schauffele or Cantlay. Hard to set them apart right now. Neither has done that well this year. I wouldn't take both though

There are only a few events left before the automatic picks are set, so I think Bryson will make it on his own, and won't need a pick. Thats the way its looking now, although he's in spot 8, so he needs to continue to play well.

I really like what I've seen from Hossler. He's struggling to close because he's a rookie, but his quality of golf week in, week out is really good. Give it a year, and he's probably one of the top 20-30 players in the world. I read earlier in the week that he has the most rounds inside the top 10 on the PGA Tour this year.

Jan 3, 2012
Forgot about Cantlay, actually. I'd be fine with Schauffele or Cantlay. Hard to set them apart right now. Neither has done that well this year. I wouldn't take both though

There are only a few events left before the automatic picks are set, so I think Bryson will make it on his own, and won't need a pick. Thats the way its looking now, although he's in spot 8, so he needs to continue to play well.

I really like what I've seen from Hossler. He's struggling to close because he's a rookie, but his quality of golf week in, week out is really good. Give it a year, and he's probably one of the top 20-30 players in the world. I read earlier in the week that he has the most rounds inside the top 10 on the PGA Tour this year.

I agree entirely. I would be happy if they took more of the young guys over someone like Webb who just happens to have a career year. I would also be okay with Phil not being taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->