Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread | 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Didn't realize they went out early today. I was out playing golf anyway. Doesn't look like i missed much from Tiger. Really hope he can find his putter in the next two weeks. He would have had a chance if he made some putts this weekend. Great iron play however. Hopefully that'll continue.

I fired a 77 today. Pulled a Tiger and missed a few putts or it could have been better. Tied a career low

Reactions: Riggins

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No junior golfers qualified for the US Open through sectional qualifying today. Canon Claycomb got close. Lost in a playoff, but I'd be surprised if he didn't play in many US Opens eventually.

Sam Burns absolutely blitzed his qualifier. 5 shot victory. Garrett Rank, NHL Ref, also qualified. Adam Scott qualified on the number, as well.

Jan 3, 2012
Jack's major results during the 1970s

YQfFy12tzj3vzFigGHhL2vhYHv_rEdM4M0LgI1PYA5o.png

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
What do you guys think of the shot clock that was used in the European tourney this week? I wish it existed on public courses, that's for sure.

Jan 3, 2012
Some nobody collapsing on Sunday playing against a superstar is almost as expected as Nadal curbstomping everyone at the French Open

boring sunday

Jan 3, 2012
Who you guys got for the US Open?

And anyone gonna make a thread?

Sorry, don't have the time to do anything ala The Masters

You can make it. Not a big deal if it isn't fancy.

Hard to make picks at this point. The crew of guys hanging around the top ten have all had impressive runs in the past few years that it feels like splitting hairs making picks based on anything other than course history now.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Some nobody collapsing on Sunday playing against a superstar is almost as expected as Nadal curbstomping everyone at the French Open boring sunday
People forget that during the first half of their careers Norman and Mickelsen played just like that nobody you referred to.

Fowler is very romantic. ;) "Well, nothing against the area," Fowler began after being asked by a local reporter about the significance of the proposal's location. "It wasn't necessarily -- there was nothing planned out. I just really didn't want to carry the ring around any longer." Rickie Fowler shares his simple reason for getting engaged the week before the U.S. Open

Jan 3, 2012
People forget that during the first half of their careers Norman and Mickelsen played just like that nobody you referred to.

Fowler is very romantic. ;) "Well, nothing against the area," Fowler began after being asked by a local reporter about the significance of the proposal's location. "It wasn't necessarily -- there was nothing planned out. I just really didn't want to carry the ring around any longer." Rickie Fowler shares his simple reason for getting engaged the week before the U.S. Open

I'm not surprised at all. I think as casual golf fans it is easy to underestimate the mental demands of the sport. Especially regarding being a young player and leading a tour event with big name players chasing. It can be so mentally taxing, and it must be so easy to lose confidence when things don't go your way.

I actually got Tiger's book the 1997 Masters last night at the library. Read almost the entire thing already. It's impressive how much he focuses on the mental side of his game, especially talking about how he prepared for majors and all the attention he faced back then. His drills with Earl as a kid sound brutal, but it is clear it helped build him into what he is/was.

He says that after winning the Master's in 97 by 12 strokes, within a few days he was thinking of the swing changes he wanted to make with Butch. Which is crazy in perspective, but it goes to show how insanely competitive he was. He justifies this by saying that he never cared for trophies and winning, just was obsessed with seeing how good he could become because he knew that everything else would take care of itself.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm not surprised at all. I think as casual golf fans it is easy to underestimate the mental demands of the sport. Especially regarding being a young player and leading a tour event with big name players chasing. It can be so mentally taxing, and it must be so easy to lose confidence when things don't go your way.

I actually got Tiger's book the 1997 Masters last night at the library. Read almost the entire thing already. It's impressive how much he focuses on the mental side of his game, especially talking about how he prepared for majors and all the attention he faced back then. His drills with Earl as a kid sound brutal, but it is clear it helped build him into what he is/was.

He says that after winning the Master's in 97 by 12 strokes, within a few days he was thinking of the swing changes he wanted to make with Butch. Which is crazy in perspective, but it goes to show how insanely competitive he was. He justifies this by saying that he never cared for trophies and winning, just was obsessed with seeing how good he could become because he knew that everything else would take care of itself.
Nice post and agreed. The mental side of sports is underrated. The Lakers didn't beat the Celtics in the Finals until 1985. The Lakers had great, talented players, but they were never as mentally tough as the Celtics until 1985.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not sure I buy Phil's explanation. He's one of the guys who I think would try to get creative with the rules, but if that was the goal there was a much better route to avoid going down to the bottom of that hill. Had he let the ball roll to a complete stop and then declared the ball unplayable, he could have taken a 1 stroke penalty and dropped within a club length of where he played the last shot, if he then re-putted very conservatively and 3 putted(probably the worst outcome from taking the unplayable) it would be the exact same as making his the putt after the moving ball putt. So unless he expected to hole the moving ball putt the worst reasonable outcome of taking an unplayable was equal to the best outcome of doing what he did.

I do think it's conceivable that he knew what he was doing when he did it, that he'd be assessed a 2 stroke penalty, but I don't believe that he thought it was the best possible outcome strategically. In the moment with his frustration I think he wanted to take a bit of a stance of how silly and stupid it was getting.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why isn’t golf very popular in Canada?
Golf does everything in their power to make itself boring. Finally you see someone with some character in Phil and all the talk today is he should be ashamed and suspended etc...

That and it was nice to see guys be challenged. This was the US Open it should be tough to win. Instead players complain and they make it easy for them. It's nice to see guys challenged and actually have to work for the title. It's quite boring to watch something when you know the guy is going to make his shot before he even takes it.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
*Obligatory I was right post*
Posted this after Koepka's win last year.

"I disagree with you guys regarding Koepka. He hasn't been playing great this year, but he'll be a top 15/20 golfer for the rest of his career.

Ever since he really broke into the scene in 2015, the guy consistently shows up in majors. Hell, even since 2014 he hasn't missed a cut in a major, and now has a win, 5 top tens, and 10 top 25s in 12 majors. Hasn't finished outside the top 25 in a major since the 2015 Masters (T33). That's a big time player.

And he's certainly better than Jimmy ****ing Walker. Come on."

Now he's got 2 wins, 7 top 10s, and 13 top 25s in 15 majors since 2014. There are very few, if any, more consistent big-tournament players than that.

Edit: For comparison, since 2014, Spieth has 3 wins, 8 top 10s, and 11 top 25s in 18 majors with 2 missed cuts. Why shouldn't Brooks be considered alongside Spieth in terms of great major tournament players?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad