Golf: All purpose golf discussion (The PGA Tour’s 2019-20 schedule in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I’m glad to know you don’t care about golf. Now please allow actual golf fans to discuss golf here, and you can lecture about what sports you want to watch elsewhere.
I love golf. I play it and watch a lot of it. I'm just being a realist in that many more people watch the NFL than golf. And the marginal golf fan loses interest when Tiger isn't in contention. Most "golf" fans don't know or care about guys like Webb Simpson , Xander Schauffele or Patrick Cantlay even though they are all ranked in the top 12 in the world. Sorry but that's just a fact.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Out of curiosity, how many people here play? How often and what are your handicaps or typical scores?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I play but I'm not very good and I'm inconsistent. I don't play 18 holes very often but my score would be around 100-105 for a not hard 18 course. I'm getting better though, making lots of tweaks in my game recently.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I play. I'm probably like an 11 or 12 right now. I've been down to a 5, but I really haven't had much time the last five years to play as often as I'd like.

I try to do something golf-related every day. I wouldn't say it ends up being 365 days a year, but its close to it, even if its some basic chipping, putting, hitting balls into a net. I really don't get onto the course as much as I'd like. Maybe 15 times per year. More in a good year, less in a bad year. It's going to be less this year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
nice, i hover in the low to mid 90's, have broken 90 a few times.

im in the process of trying to build a simulator room using Skytrak launch monitor. it's expensive but it will pay off. no more driving to the range, and i can get better feedback on my game then just watching the ball fly off the mat at the range.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm about a 4, got down to as low as a 2 at one point. Probably played 25-30 times this year.

Also, everyone knows the NFL is more of a ratings draw than golf, but that doesn't mean golf fans can't be pissed that the ultimate golf event is being dicked around for a regular season game of football, even if it makes financial sense for the broadcaster.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I'm about a 4, got down to as low as a 2 at one point. Probably played 25-30 times this yea

Also, everyone knows the NFL is more of a ratings draw than golf, but that doesn't mean golf fans can't be pissed that the ultimate golf event is being dicked around for a regular season game of football, even if it makes financial sense for the broadcaster.

One thing to take into account. Sundown in mid November in Augusta will be at 5:25 pm. so no way could they play at the traditional times even if they wanted to.

As well, the Masters is the ultimate golf event in North America but the rest of the world would say its the Open. And I would say that canceling that this year is a heck of alot more of an issue than the Masters being started earlier on a Sunday.

Regardless the Masters has the vibe that it's the unofficial start of spring in the Northern US and Canada because of its April date. Seeing it in November just won't look or feel the same.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Here's the what the Rough at Winged foot is look like right now. I can't imagine they won't cut it before the tournament though.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
John Daly reveals bladder cancer diagnosis

Sad news in the golf world today as 2x major winner and the ultimate wildcard, John Daly, announced his diagnosis of bladder cancer. He said he just got the tumor removed but according to his doctors, the chances of relapse are rather high :(

Now I am aware he is far from the healthiest person out there and his type of lifestyle that he's been living for several decades was bound to catch up on his body as he continues aging, but man this is still awful news no matter what.

Hope Long John destroys the crap outta this illness even more than he ripped those drives. Him and Tiger were the duo in the 90's who transformed golf into a "cool" and "non-country club" sport and their impacts still hold huge today.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Any advice for a new golfer?

I'm 42 and golfed a little bit in my late teens.

Early this year I bought some hybrid irons off Kijijji (old Cleveland Hi-Bores) and had them regripped, next thing I know I bought a Ping driver, then a 5 wood and a 4 hybrid. Couple of wedges, got a free bag from my gf's brother.

And since then, I love going to the driving range, watching youtube videos and trying to find "my" swing.

I was really bad at first, and for a while. Then I had a couple outings at the range where everything just went right. Straight, long, effortless.

I want to hit an actual golf course at some point, but keep feeling like I need to make sure I'm developing my swing at the range. I'm so afraid of my first outing on a golf course ruining my confidence.

I've got a slice problem and apparently it's because of my swing path being choppy? it doesn't feel choppy to me but it must be.

Maybe just wondering if anyone has videos about why a person is slicing, and maybe not with driver and more with a 7 iron or something just to understand it better for my overall game.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Early this year I bought some hybrid irons off Kijijji (old Cleveland Hi-Bores) and had them regripped, next thing I know I bought a Ping driver, then a 5 wood and a 4 hybrid. Couple of wedges, got a free bag from my gf's brother.

And since then, I love going to the driving range, watching youtube videos and trying to find "my" swing.

I was really bad at first, and for a while. Then I had a couple outings at the range where everything just went right. Straight, long, effortless.

I want to hit an actual golf course at some point, but keep feeling like I need to make sure I'm developing my swing at the range. I'm so afraid of my first outing on a golf course ruining my confidence.

I've got a slice problem and apparently it's because of my swing path being choppy? it doesn't feel choppy to me but it must be.

Maybe just wondering if anyone has videos about why a person is slicing, and maybe not with driver and more with a 7 iron or something just to understand it better for my overall game.

slicing is caused by an open club face and/or a swing path that’s too far left. If you are getting a lot of side spin and curve, it’s probably both in your case.

first you gotta fix the face. Play around with a stronger grip (google YouTube strong vs weak
Grip). And try interlocking/overlapping your fingers if you don’t already do it.

You might hit pulls and hooks at first but that’s okay.

as for the path, you’re probably coming over the top a bit causing you to swing left and cut across the ball. Try YouTubing coming over the top.

keep at it

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
slicing is caused by an open club face and/or a swing path that’s too far left. If you are getting a lot of side spin and curve, it’s probably both in your case.

first you gotta fix the face. Play around with a stronger grip (google YouTube strong vs weak
Grip). And try interlocking/overlapping your fingers if you don’t already do it.

You might hit pulls and hooks at first but that’s okay.

as for the path, you’re probably coming over the top a bit causing you to swing left and cut across the ball. Try YouTubing coming over the top.

keep at it

Thanks man! This is some confirmation for me. So weird that the two people I follow on Youtube today both posted videos on grip (even though they've posted videos before)

One was about utilizing a "weak" grip. First time I've heard about it. The more I looked into it the more I started finding stuff about this "strong" grip. Which is what should help me because I tend to slice.

Man there are so many tiny elements to the golf swing and every outing seems different for me, but I keep seeing positive progression. Like today I went out and was hitting my driver so well but my irons were pretty bad and usually it's the other way around.

It's a rollercoaster haha.

Anyway thanks for the advice I think it's perfect. Gotta play with my grip and my swing path.

It's a humbling game that's for sure but I love it :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think we'll see +8 next week. The Course Superintendent wants it, but the USGA leadership won't allow it. They only allowed +7 in 1974 because there was an error before the final round in 1973 when they left the water system on by accident, which embarrassed Oakmont and the USGA with Miller shooting 63. There was no grass on the greens and the rough was purposely allowed to grow out to like a foot in 1974. The current USGA leadership also capitulates to the players anytime the players moan about how difficult the course is. I'd be shocked if its not an over par score though.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
2006 played tough at Winged Foot also. Winning score was +5 (of course with two guys with doubles on 18 to finish at +6). But there was only 12 rounds under par that US Open and the best score for a single round was 2 under 68. I don’t think we will see a +8 winner either but, unless someone plays fantastic golf I expect the winner to be over par.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
2006 played tough at Winged Foot also. Winning score was +5 (of course with two guys with doubles on 18 to finish at +6). But there was only 12 rounds under par that US Open and the best score for a single round was 2 under 68. I don’t think we will see a +8 winner either but, unless someone plays fantastic golf I expect the winner to be over par.

Players are also better now in relation to par because of equipment. I don't know if we'll ever see anything higher than +2 or +3 anymore in a major. The players are simply too good. The highest scores we've seen at the US Open since the two +5's in a row at Winged Foot and Oakmont was +1 a few times. USGA is also under new leadership that makes the course easier when the players complain. Other than an Open Championship at Carnoustie/Birkdale/Muirfield with bad weather 3/4 days, I don't think we'll ever pass +5 again, unless significant changes are made to the game at the professional level. Winged Foot is probably as good of a chance as we'll get to test that, but I would still take the chance that the winning score isn't higher than a few over.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017

Your most important club at this stage is the Driver. Learn how to hit at least 200 with some consistency off the tee. Practice, practice, practice.

Until you can you won't have any fun on the course, anybody who plays with you won't either, and you'll drive whomever is playing behind you absolutely nuts.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Your most important club at this stage is the Driver. Learn how to hit at least 200 with some consistency off the tee. Practice, practice, practice.

Until you can you won't have any fun on the course, anybody who plays with you won't either, and you'll drive whomever is playing behind you absolutely nuts.

I disagree. Lots of beginners and novices tee off with fairway metal or hybrids tee’d low and still hit it far enough to have a good time and not be a liability (playing from the whites). Using a driver tee’d high will only exacerbate a big slice.

So yeah at some point you’ll need it to get better and if you want to consistently get on in 2, but it’s definitely not a necessity when first getting into it if you’re not comfortable hitting it.

Reactions: Cody Webster

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I disagree. Lots of beginners and novices tee off with fairway metal or hybrids tee’d low and still hit it far enough to have a good time and not be a liability (playing from the whites). Using a driver tee’d high will only exacerbate a big slice.

So yeah at some point you’ll need it to get better and if you want to consistently get on in 2, but it’s definitely not a necessity when first getting into it if you’re not comfortable hitting it.

Ok, fine. If you want to be picky I'll rephrase it: you have to be able to get off the tee properly to be of any use to anyone you play with, not the least yourself.

Everyone who's played any golf at all recognizes this guy:

He'll get out the driver and shank the first few he hits 50-60yds in who knows what direction.

He'll the proceed to take out a 3 (or even 2) iron and top the next few about the same distance.

He'll then loudly proclaim that he was driving fine yesterday and hit the rest of his tee shots with a 5 or 6 iron, barely making 100 yds down the fairway, leaving him 320+ on long par 4s.

Absoute $%^*^% torture.

Learn to get off the tee if you want to enjoy golf at all. The rest will come in time. The whole "drive for show, putt for dough" shouldn't even be in a beginner's head. That comes much later.

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Lessons, lessons, lessons. The sooner the better, that way you won't have to undo as much bad muscle memory. YouTube can be helpful but it can also be counterproductive, as those videos aren't necessarily addressing the problems with your specific swing. Find a coach who can diagnose your issues and then spend your time at the range practicing whatever you learned.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Lessons, lessons, lessons. The sooner the better, that way you won't have to undo as much bad muscle memory. YouTube can be helpful but it can also be counterproductive, as those videos aren't necessarily addressing the problems with your specific swing. Find a coach who can diagnose your issues and then spend your time at the range practicing whatever you learned.

Great advice and something I've absolutely thought about.

Problem is this whole COVID thing......and also my finances.

I'd like to take one lesson next year and try and hang on to every bit of it.

I've been able to really progress by watching certain YouTube videos though I must say. But the most important things that have stayed with me is let the club do the work and experiment with my grip a bit, the rest of it seems to just be developing a swing where you're hitting the ball square to the face and in the sweet spot as consistently as you can. And I've actually really improved lately and now I'm focusing on aiming the ball as though I were on an actual golf course.

I'm at the point now where I think I could actually go to a golf course and do ok. What a great game golf is though for someone like me getting older (42) can't really take up too many other activities seriously at this point in my life. Always loved golf just seems unaffordable until you get some clubs and realize it's not necessarily that expensive, but it really looks expensive when you're just starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad