Golf: All purpose golf discussion (The PGA Tour’s 2019-20 schedule in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like this kind of golf, as well.

Is it going to take something out of these players to play two of these tournaments in four weeks? The top players often talk about how a golf course playing this tough takes a lot out of them mentally.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I love this too personally.

Which winning score is closer to par - This or Winged Foot?

I think this one will be more under par. It could be close though, especially if this one finishes around even par. USGA won't let Winged Foot get out of hand. They've gotten soft since the second Shinnecock debacle.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Pebble Beach was playing about as soft as possible due to the weather conditions, so I don't know about them softening up.

Really hoping for Niemann to win this, he's become kind of forgotten despite being only 21. Would be especially cool doing it on a big boy setup like this.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Insane that Johnson, as of yesterday, was 30th in the entire Tour Championship field at fairway % off the tee yet still dominates the whole time and takes the win. Had to really gut it out as Schauffele and co. were really closing in.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s hard to make much of DJ winning the Fed Ex Cup. DJ deserved it and played great, but the season starts again in three days, and there’s a major next week. It’s hard to regard this Championship as some huge culminating event, especially this year.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
what the f***

So you'll need to use the CBS Sports streaming app then i suppose to watch the full coverage?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like this. Get a deal done with all the top venues early. We don't want the PGA to secure a deal with these venues first, like they did with Olympic. All the USGA has to give in return is open up an office at Pinehurst and hold some of the smaller championships in North Carolina.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
This is a disgrace. I want CBS out of the golf business. They are terrible, and this is probably the worst thing they've done so far.

what the f***

So you'll need to use the CBS Sports streaming app then i suppose to watch the full coverage?

I’m assuming they’ll have the start of the Sunday round early to accommodate this then? With the final pairing going out around 9-9:30 am or so.

With sunset times being around 5:25 in mid-November the finish on the Saturday make sense.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I’m not a fan either of an early Sunday finish but I’m not sure how much further they can push it back, maybe an hour?

If the finish was any later than 4 pm and if it goes to a playoff they would be flirting with a Monday finish.

But I am sure the NFL played a part. A finish of 2:30 would actually put it around halftime of the early afternoon NFL games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not a fan either of an early Sunday finish but I’m not sure how much further they can push it back, maybe an hour?

If the finish was any later than 4 pm and if it goes to a playoff they would be flirting with a Monday finish.

But I am sure the NFL played a part. A finish of 2:30 would actually put it around halftime of the early afternoon NFL games.

There’s two hours less of light in November. If it normally ends at 6, you can end it at 4 instead. Have the final group off at 12. This is deliberately done to cater to egg ball.

Same reason US Open is off Fox this year. These networks don’t care about golf.

Reactions: TB12

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
There’s two hours less of light in November. If it normally ends at 6, you can end it at 4 instead. Have the final group off at 12. This is deliberately done to cater to egg ball.

Same reason US Open is off Fox this year. These networks don’t care about golf.

I wouldn’t say they don’t care about golf, I’m sure they’d like to have it. They just like ratings more and when it comes to American sports the NFL rules. If they want more viewers, especially in November, they’ll have no choice but to work around football. It sucks for some people, I understand.

I live in the west and it means the leaders (final 6 groups or so) probably go off around 6:30-7 or so for me. So I guess I get up, grab a coffee, and watch some early morning golf. Maybe it’s just me but The Open is similar and I don’t mind it.

I’m an NFL fan though, so it just means I get the best of both worlds. Of course when they overlap I’ll have both going at the same time with the sound on for The Masters (although it’s the one golf event that will, probably, really seem different for me without fans).

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
This is a disgrace. I want CBS out of the golf business. They are terrible, and this is probably the worst thing they've done so far.

It's not a disgrace. Golf is a 2nd tier sport compared to the NFL. These aren't normal times if you didn't notice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not a disgrace. Golf is a 2nd tier sport compared to the NFL. These aren't normal times if you didn't notice.

If it’s a second tier sport to CBS, they can cancel their TV deal and let us golf fans that think it’s a first tier sport not have to work our Masters Sunday’s around egg ball. TGC will show it instead and the product will be much better.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If it’s a second tier sport to CBS, they can cancel their TV deal and let us golf fans that think it’s a first tier sport not have to work our Masters Sunday’s around egg ball. TGC will show it instead and the product will be much better.
The Golf Channel is a 2nd tier broadcaster and very few fans have access to that service so even fewer people would watch.
Let's face it ; if Tiger is not in contention and Justin Thomas and Patrick Reed are battling it out at the top most fans won't tune in if they have the choice to watch the NFL.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Golf Channel is a 2nd tier broadcaster and very few fans have access to that service so even fewer people would watch.
Let's face it ; if Tiger is not in contention and Justin Thomas and Patrick Reed are battling it out at the top most fans won't tune in if they have the choice to watch the NFL.

I’m glad to know you don’t care about golf. Now please allow actual golf fans to discuss golf here, and you can lecture about what sports you want to watch elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad