All-Purpose Final Fantasy Thread

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Anyone who says VI doesn't have the best soundtrack is just wrong.

VI and IX are easily the high water marks for Nobuo.

I enjoy a lot of Uematsu's work so I don't want to seem like I'm denigrating him, but I think Final Fantasy music got more interesting when he started to take a step back.

It started when he brought in other composers to help with FFX. When I got to Mt. Gagazet, I was absolutely blown away by the music.

It was like nothing I had heard in a Final Fantasy. And there's a reason for that, Uematsu didn't make it. Masashi Hamauzu did. He has a very different style and one I very much gravitate towards. As I investigated who was responsible for individual FFX tracks, I began to realize this guy was composing most of my favourites.

Final Fantasy X Music- Assault

His music is just goddamn gorgeous. His chill tracks are impossibly mellow and his uptempo stuff bursts with theatrics. Not to say Uematsu's music lacks emotion, but Hamazu's are just seeped in it.

So I was thrilled when I learned that he had the FFXIII soundtrack all to himself. And I think he crushed it.

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Four - 09 - Dust To Dust

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc One - 05 - Saber's Edge

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Three - 05 - Atonement

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Four - 03 - The Archylte Steppe

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Two - 20 - Sustained By Hate

So yeah, that's my favourite FF soundtrack. His sensibilities just hit me right in the emotional sweet spot. When he was contributing to FFX Hamazu said he wanted to bring video game music to a "higher level" and I think he's succeeded. His work isn't just great video game music, it's stuff I play around the house without my wife even realizing it's from a game.

And I think it's a good thing that the franchise seems to be rotating composers for the new entries now. Sakimoto for XII, Hamazu for XIII, Shimomura for XV. I like having fresh and distinct styles of compositions with new games instead of reusing the same person. Just wish they had better games to work with.

Last edited:

member 157595

Bumping this thread because I had the urge to play through 7 again. Just started Disc 2.

I forgot how dominant the enemy skills are on Disc 1. :laugh: Want something dead? Chances are, Beta or Aqualung (or both) will do the job with aplomb. I end up casting Matra Magic like all the freaking time on Disc 1; non-elemental, damage all, 8 MP? Sold. Want to massively heal your party and clear up some bad statuses simultaneously? White Wind is your friend.

It also took me 6 f***ing attempts to unlock the safe to get the Shinra Mansion basement key. FAIL.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Bumping this thread because I had the urge to play through 7 again. Just started Disc 2.

I forgot how dominant the enemy skills are on Disc 1. :laugh: Want something dead? Chances are, Beta or Aqualung (or both) will do the job with aplomb. I end up casting Matra Magic like all the freaking time on Disc 1; non-elemental, damage all, 8 MP? Sold. Want to massively heal your party and clear up some bad statuses simultaneously? White Wind is your friend.

It also took me 6 ****ing attempts to unlock the safe to get the Shinra Mansion basement key. FAIL.
Excellent part of the game, I feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. :P

Hell yeah, Enemy Skill is so OP throughout the early game.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I
I enjoy a lot of Uematsu's work so I don't want to seem like I'm denigrating him, but I think Final Fantasy music got more interesting when he started to take a step back.

It started when he brought in other composers to help with FFX. When I got to Mt. Gagazet, I was absolutely blown away by the music.

It was like nothing I had heard in a Final Fantasy. And there's a reason for that, Uematsu didn't make it. Masashi Hamauzu did. He has a very different style and one I very much gravitate towards. As I investigated who was responsible for individual FFX tracks, I began to realize this guy was composing most of my favourites.

Final Fantasy X Music- Assault

His music is just goddamn gorgeous. His chill tracks are impossibly mellow and his uptempo stuff bursts with theatrics. Not to say Uematsu's music lacks emotion, but Hamazu's are just seeped in it.

So I was thrilled when I learned that he had the FFXIII soundtrack all to himself. And I think he crushed it.

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Four - 09 - Dust To Dust

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc One - 05 - sabre's Edge

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Three - 05 - Atonement

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Four - 03 - The Archylte Steppe

Final Fantasy 13 OST - Disc Two - 20 - Sustained By Hate

So yeah, that's my favourite FF soundtrack. His sensibilities just hit me right in the emotional sweet spot. When he was contributing to FFX Hamazu said he wanted to bring video game music to a "higher level" and I think he's succeeded. His work isn't just great video game music, it's stuff I play around the house without my wife even realizing it's from a game.

And I think it's a good thing that the franchise seems to be rotating composers for the new entries now. Sakimoto for XII, Hamazu for XIII, Shimomura for XV. I like having fresh and distinct styles of compositions with new games instead of reusing the same person. Just wish they had better games to work with.

I couldn't agree more with pretty much everything you've said here. Uematsu is an absolute legend. He recently had to put his work on pause indefinitely due to an illness. I really hope everything is OK.

Though I no longer play the newer Final Fantasy games, I still occasionally listen to them online and, as you said, I found the FF13 Sound-track to be absolutely incredible.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

member 157595

Excellent part of the game, I feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. :P

Hell yeah, Enemy Skill is so OP throughout the early game.

I once said to my wife "You are the White Materia to my Black Materia." She said something along the lines of "Why did I marry down?"

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I once said to my wife "You are the White Materia to my Black Materia." She said something along the lines of "Why did I marry down?"
Hahaha, that's incredible. I usually get those kinds of responses when I mention Runescape.

member 157595

I play the original PS1 discs on my PS3, don't own a PS4 and no longer own a PS1. IX is a good game, I like it.

Also, f*** Final Fantasy VIII. Not on topic, but just for the record.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I played IX nearly all the way through on PS3 and some on PS4 and both were fine. Can never get enough of that game.

Love the equipment system, the characters, story, music and ugh just everything. Favorite FF and possibly favorite JRPG alongside a Tales or two.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I play the original PS1 discs on my PS3, don't own a PS4 and no longer own a PS1. IX is a good game, I like it.

Also, **** Final Fantasy VIII. Not on topic, but just for the record.
Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite Final Fantasy game followed closely by IX.

Reactions: Villella McMeans

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There are a lot of abysmal things about FFVIII that keeps it from being legitimately great, but I can't dismiss that art direction/design, and music composition. In contention for the best looking and sounding game on the Playstation, IMO.

Reactions: Villella McMeans

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Back then I always tried to get back into VIII multiple times then after a bit into the Draw and Junction systems I remember why I could never stick with it. Maybeeee one more time down the line.

That and XII which I re-bought recently I just can't get into.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Final Fantasy VIII could have been an amazing game...given another year of development. It's status as black sheep of the PlayStation era is entirely because of the rushed development cycle that resulted in fundamentally broken systems and a muddled narrative. Plus Zell. f***ing Zell. My personal version of Hell is being locked in a room with Zell & Tidus .

So, I didn't play FFIX when I was young, but I have it on PS3, PS4, and Steam. (Long story.) What's a good way to play the game?

PS4, though I'm not sure what differences there are, if any, between that and the Steam port. The PS3 version is just the PSone original...that 3X effect in the PS4 version is a god-send for the more grindy sections of the game (read: frog catching).

member 157595

I've elaborated on my hatred on FFVIII elsewhere; I didn't actually intend on hijacking the thread.

Let's just say that the music and visuals are fantastic and I basically hate almost everything else except for Quistis.

My personal version of Hell is being locked in a room with Zell & Tidus .

Jesus...I wouldn't wish that on anyone that is currently in, or forecasted to be, in Hell.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I played IX nearly all the way through on PS3 and some on PS4 and both were fine. Can never get enough of that game.

Love the equipment system, the characters, story, music and ugh just everything. Favorite FF and possibly favorite JRPG alongside a Tales or two.
When I was younger I could never really get into IX that much. I guess I never really gave it a fair shake. I don't have anything against it, but it just kind of fell through the cracks for me. Maybe I'll give it another go soon... I still have the PS1 version and can play it on my PS3.

Back then I always tried to get back into VIII multiple times then after a bit into the Draw and Junction systems I remember why I could never stick with it. Maybeeee one more time down the line.

That and XII which I re-bought recently I just can't get into.
I feel the same way about FF8. I've beaten it a few times when I was younger, but the older I get the less I can stomach the Draw/Junction system and it kind of agitates me that they though this would be a good system, lol.

Final Fantasy VIII could have been an amazing game...given another year of development. It's status as black sheep of the PlayStation era is entirely because of the rushed development cycle that resulted in fundamentally broken systems and a muddled narrative. Plus Zell. ****ing Zell. My personal version of Hell is being locked in a room with Zell & Tidus .
Dude, I've always thought this. If they just spent a little more time polishing the game it could have have avoided being the red-headed FF step-child.

This is all speculation, but I imagine that they were cranking out so many huge hits during that time that they just wanted to keep the gravy train rolling.

As a 12 year old I thought Zell was the shit. As an adult, he is the kind of person that I despise. lol

member 157595

I played about an hour of VIII and that was enough for me. At least the boss music was good.

IV's still my favourite though they should give V and VI the same treatment in the remake area.

Finally someone else that likes IV the best. :thumbu:

I don't think it's the best game in the series but it is my favorite.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Finally someone else that likes IV the best. t

I don't think it's the best game in the series but it is my favorite.
For sure it's not the best game but man I love it. Kain to this day remains my favourite FF character and I love seeing him show up in other games. As hard as the DS game was, it cleaned up a lot of the murky elements that the poor translation left behind and gave the characters even more depth.

...But the difficulty in that game can eat my ass.

member 157595

For sure it's not the best game but man I love it. Kain to this day remains my favourite FF character and I love seeing him show up in other games. As hard as the DS game was, it cleaned up a lot of the murky elements that the poor translation left behind and gave the characters even more depth.

...But the difficulty in that game can eat my ass.

The DS game is difficult because the Super Famicom original is difficult IMO. Our North American FF2 release was easy by comparison. The whole "North Americans cannot handle RPG's" thing is how FF: Mystic Quest came to pass...one of the most insulting games I've ever played.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
PSP version for me. One of the few rare cases where re-drawn up-res'd visuals look better than the original, while still feeling like the same thing.

I think that you could have legitimately made an argument that IV is the best one, if not for the last bit where they take back all of the sacrifices. Hated that.

VI has more impressive things, but IV feels leaner and has a better sense of focus and minimalism.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The DS game is difficult because the Super Famicom original is difficult IMO. Our North American FF2 release was easy by comparison. The whole "North Americans cannot handle RPG's" thing is how FF: Mystic Quest came to pass...one of the most insulting games I've ever played.
Ahhh the 90s, where consumers were so looked down upon...

It's incredible to see the number of games that didn't make it overseas due to really braindead ideals. "Too hard", "Too niche", etc... If you build it, they will come.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ahhh the 90s, where consumers were so looked down upon...

It's incredible to see the number of games that didn't make it overseas due to really braindead ideals. "Too hard", "Too niche", etc... If you build it, they will come.
You don't think they turned out to be somewhat right about that? I've always been under the impression that the Japanese mainstream audience was probably more hardcore about that stuff than ours ever was. I don't know how much it takes to translate a game, but if niche audience return isn't sufficient, I can't blame them for expecting that and walking away from it. It's a shame, but I do find it difficult to imagine the really hard versions of those games becoming huge here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You don't think they turned out to be somewhat right about that? I've always been under the impression that the Japanese mainstream audience was probably more hardcore about that stuff than ours ever was. I don't know how much it takes to translate a game, but if niche audience return isn't sufficient, I can't blame them for expecting that and walking away from it. It's a shame, but I do find it difficult to imagine the really hard versions of those games becoming huge here.
Certainly Japan has different ideals and skillsets than the rest of the world, but Nintendo wouldn't even give us the real SMB2 because of difficulty.

I mean, NoA is notoriously bad at marketing and understanding what the consumer wants, and that hasn't changed... Look no further than the MOTHER series. Such a great series has been horribly handled.

How many RPGs has the rest of the world missed out on? Half of the Final Fantasies, Seiken Densenstu 3/Secret of Mana 2, Mother 1 & 3, Live a Live, the list goes on and on.

I get that translations are time consuming and cost money, but look at some of the drivel we got in the 90s... Thankfully the world has the internet and the ability to access the previously inaccessible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->