All-Purpose Final Fantasy Thread

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah 10 gets a lot of flak for certain scenes, but overall I actually think it's my 3rd favourite (behind FF7 and FFT, if you want to include it); though I also loved 8 and 9 so...

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Man I cant wait for the FFVII remake. I was playing another game today and just a certain visual sequence made me think about how spectacular certain scenes are going to look on modern consoles.

I want to replay it, but I also dont want to replay it now, then play a remake in the next coupe years. I dont know what to do lol

Last edited:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
My heart wants a FFT remake, but my brain doesn't. Let's be real. SE is gonna try to "modernize" the FF7 remake and people will hate it. Let fond memories be fond memories. And with the way FF15's development went, I have a feeling this one will be stuck in dev hell too.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
My heart wants a FFT remake, but my brain doesn't. Let's be real. SE is gonna try to "modernize" the FF7 remake and people will hate it. Let fond memories be fond memories. And with the way FF15's development went, I have a feeling this one will be stuck in dev hell too.

Yup, they are idiots. You dont f*** with perfection (or close to it), but yea, lets revamp the entire fighting engine :facepalm:

Can't wait to see the final product in 5 years!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Man I cant wait for the FFVII remake. I was playing another game today and just a certain visual sequence made me think about how spectacular certain scenes are going to look on modern consoles.

I want to replay it, but I also dont want to replay it now, then play a remake in the next coupe years. I dont know what to do lol
Same boat. I want to play FF7 again SO bad (i cant even remember 98% of it), but i want to play the damn remake and experience the story again that way..even with the new fighting engine.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, I don't understand why people have ever have faith in these things in general. Without Sakaguchi, the Square Enix of today probably shouldn't even be viewed as being related to the company that made these prime era games.

As far as I'm concerned, it's only a couple steps removed from expecting a company like EA to properly remake Final Fantasy VII and get it right. Sure, anything's possible, but the idea of feeling hopeful about those odds seems absurd to me.

That said, while I love the broad strokes of it and find the spirit of the work inspired (even by today's standards), FFVII is far from a perfect game that you shouldn't be touched and cannot be improved on. I actually enjoy the charm of the visuals more than others do, but at least fix the translation, clunky controls, and intrusive, poorly done mini-games, and trim some of the fat. It would be the simplest thing in the world to make that game feel perfect, IMO. All the right pieces are already in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmniCube

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yup, they are idiots. You dont **** with perfection (or close to it), but yea, lets revamp the entire fighting engine :facepalm:

Can't wait to see the final product in 5 years!

And what I probably consider the biggest sin is all these big revamps that nobody asked is how many years it's going to push the launch date back.

It's not just that prime Square made better games, but they also cranked out a hit every year or two.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Honestly, I don't understand why people have ever have faith in these things in general. Without Sakaguchi, the Square Enix of today probably shouldn't even be viewed as being related to the company that made these prime era games.

As far as I'm concerned, it's only a couple steps removed from expecting a company like EA to properly remake Final Fantasy VII and get it right. Sure, anything's possible, but the idea of feeling hopeful about those odds seems absurd to me.

That said, while I love the broad strokes of it and find the spirit of the work inspired (even by today's standards), FFVII is far from a perfect game that you shouldn't be touched and cannot be improved on. I actually enjoy the charm of the visuals more than others do, but at least fix the translation, clunky controls, and intrusive, poorly done mini-games, and trim some of the fat. It would be the simplest thing in the world to make that game feel perfect, IMO. All the right pieces are already in place.
I agree. As much as I want to be flying over the moon being excited for this game, I just can't. FF7 is in my top 5 games ever, but I just can't imagine a scenario in which I am not disappointed by this re-make. As @Suxnet said, they're going to try to modernize it, and I can't imagine feeling the same way as I did about the original. This is not the same Squaresoft company that cranked out those classics way back when.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yeah 10 gets a lot of flak for certain scenes, but overall I actually think it's my 3rd favourite (behind FF7 and FFT, if you want to include it); though I also loved 8 and 9 so...
I agree with you. FF7, FFX, and FFT are my top 3 (in that order).

Square's first foray into voice acting was certainly rough and corny as hell in some spots, but the game overall was awesome and the end-game content was pretty solid. The HD Re-Master is pretty awesome too, especially if you've never used the expert sphere grid.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree with you. FF7, FFX, and FFT are my top 3 (in that order).

Square's first foray into voice acting was certainly rough and corny as hell in some spots, but the game overall was awesome and the end-game content was pretty solid. The HD Re-Master is pretty awesome too, especially if you've never used the expert sphere grid.
Not to mention Blitzball was the best minigame ever.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree. As much as I want to be flying over the moon being excited for this game, I just can't. FF7 is in my top 5 games ever, but I just can't imagine a scenario in which I am not disappointed by this re-make. As @Suxnet said, they're going to try to modernize it, and I can't imagine feeling the same way as I did about the original. This is not the same Squaresoft company that cranked out those classics way back when.
Hell, simply adding a crappy joke of a character like Genesis would probably be somewhat of a deal-breaker for me, and it seems pretty unlikely that they won't.

Which is a total shame, because I don't see Final Fantasy VII as being that difficult of a game to turn into an outright modern masterpiece. It's just that these guys probably won't be the ones who have the appropriate mindset to actually do it.

Last edited:

member 157595

FINAL FANTASY VII: BATTLE ROYALE!!!!one

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I think that is part of the problem. Under no circumstances will these games ever recreate the same magic of the original. I can't go back to being in middle school and sitting there all day with the excitement, waiting to come home and play. I can't recreate not having the internet at my fingertips and there not being tons of tools at my disposal to get past parts I am having a hard time with, having no choice but to spend hours wandering, not knowing what the heck I am doing because part of the game wasn't clear on what to do next (pardon the huge run on). Then, after a few hours, finally talking to the correct random ass NPC that advanced the story and gave me an absolute thrill.

I can't recreate the experience of finding out that Cait Sith was a spy, or when Aeris dies the first time, or when Cloud gets sucked into the life stream and is, for lack of a better phrase, a paraplegic. I cannot recreate the experience of all the time spent breeding Chocobo's, and spend hours wandering around only for Chocobo Billy to tell me that its too soon for them to breed and not knowing WTF to do.

No matter what they do with the remake, whether they stayed true to the old battle system or modernized it (as they are), the experience won't be the same. It can't be and to an extent, it makes me happy they are changing the battle system. No, I am not a HUGE fan of those types of battle systems per se, but I am of Final Fantasy VII. I look at this game and I hope it can capture the essence of the original FF7 while giving me a new experience to enjoy, that it can give me a blast or two of nostalgia while at the same time, throwing me a curve ball I didn't expect and creating an entirely new experience.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I think that is part of the problem. Under no circumstances will these games ever recreate the same magic of the original. I can't go back to being in middle school and sitting there all day with the excitement, waiting to come home and play. I can't recreate not having the internet at my fingertips and there being tons of tools at my disposal to get past parts I am having a hard time with, having no choice but to spend hours wandering, not knowing what the heck I am doing because part of the game wasn't clear on what to do next (pardon the huge run on). Then, after a few hours, finally talking to the correct, random ass NPC that advanced the story and gave me an absolute thrill.

I can't recreate the experience of finding out that Cait Sith was a spy, or when Aeris dies the first time, or when Cloud gets sucked into the life stream and is, for lack of a better phrase, a paraplegic. I cannot recreate the experience of all the time spent breeding Chocobo's, and spend hours wandering around only for Chocobo Billy to tell me that its too soon for them to breed and not knowing WTF to do.

No matter what they do with the remake, whether they stayed true to the old battle system or modernized it (as they are), the experience won't be the same. It can't be and to an extent, it makes me happy they are changing the battle system. No, I am not a HUGE fan of those types of battle systems per se, but I am of Final Fantasy VII. I look at this game and I hope it can capture the essence of the original FF7 while giving me a new experience to enjoy, that it can give me a blast or two of nostalgia while at the same time, throwing me a curve ball I didn't expect and creating an entirely new experience.
Yeah, it's a tough balance between getting that dose of nostalgia but also bringing something fresh. Man, you really nailed a couple of the big nostalgic moments. I remember my absolute incredulity when Cait Sith was outted as a spy.

I have a feeling that playing the re-make is just going to prompt me to re-play the original again, lol. I play through it about once a year or so.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah, it's a tough balance between getting that dose of nostalgia but also bringing something fresh. Man, you really nailed a couple of the big nostalgic moments. I remember my absolute incredulity when Cait Sith was outted as a spy.

I have a feeling that playing the re-make is just going to prompt me to re-play the original again, lol. I play through it about once a year or so.

I do as well, usually around the holidays as I am not working 70+ hours a week.

Regarding Cait Sith, that is what I mean. We can't relive that moment. Could they change it to where later in the game, Reeve ditches the remote control body and joins the party? To me, that is the stuff I think that will be key in recreating such a great experience while at the same time, keeping true to the original game. That and the music. The music was arguably the most powerful aspect of that game. For the love of god, don't f*** with the music. I am okay with going to battle the Guard Scorpion and it being a free for all type battle system vs turn based, as long as when I get ready to battle, the music is unchanged.

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I do as well, usually around the holidays as I am not working 70+ hours a week.

Regarding Cait Sith, that is what I mean. We can't relive that moment. Could they change it to where later in the game, Reeve ditches the remote control body and joins the party? To me, that is the stuff I think that will be key in recreating such a great experience while at the same times. That and the music. The music was arguably the most powerful aspect of that game. For the love of god, don't **** with the music. I am okay with going to battle the Guard Scorpion and it being a free for all type battle system vs turn based, as long as when I get ready to battle, the music is unchanged.
Agreed. The music for FFVII is iconic. I hum it to my daughters sometimes before bed. It's absolutely beautiful. I still listen to it regularly (though maybe that's nostalgia as well).

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Agreed. The music for FFVII is iconic. I hum it to my daughters sometimes before bed. It's absolutely beautiful. I still listen to it regularly (though maybe that's nostalgia as well).
Same here, my man. I play the FF7 OST on youtube for my clients at work (I'm a group therapist) and they really enjoy it. It's a win-win for all of us! :)

member 157595

I have a daughter on the way. I will now be doing this.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I have a daughter on the way. I will now be doing this.

You won't regret it. We bought this for our son. It has a bunch of different motion settings and it can also play music. I hooked up my iPhone and was playing the Besaid theme for a long time. He loved it and would quickly fall asleep to that music.
Car_Ride-2281361fdeae9fae181a21baa5321767.gif

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It kind of bugs me that you guys are just calling it "not being able to recreate nostalgia". While the game had certain flaws that needed to be overlooked and that I would like to see corrected, the things that make it special isn't the childhood memories, but the fact that the spirit of the game and what it did well was really good and holds up, period, in any context. If they preserve that and make a game that nails that quality (whether by keeping it or improving it) and improving the finer quality of life details, that's all that matters to me (and that's what I doubt will be successful). Who cares about nostalgia/sentimentality and who cares about keeping things fresh and unexpected. Those are superficial novelties that have little value or substance, IMO. If something's legitimately good, it's good even if you're aware of the beats ahead of time.

I would hate for them to make random changes for the sake of the temporary shock value of being unexpected/"fresh" for long-time fans. If anything, THAT'S the kind of creative decision that becomes dated quick.

Just do whatever works best.
Question in case anyone else has played these. Are the iPad ports of older FF games any good?
VII to IX are serviceable (I think they're just the PC ports, right?-- Assuming that's the case, VII is buggy and IX might even be an upgrade), but the earlier ones are abominations that look infinitely worse than the originals, IMO. The up-res-ing just looks gross and really poorly done. I cringe whenever I hear about people being introduced to the games through them.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Question in case anyone else has played these. Are the iPad ports of older FF games any good?

If 3 and 4 are the remade 3D DS version then they're probably fine. The pastel 5 and 6 versions though I guess would do in a pinch, but from everything I've seen the ones on the GBA or PSP are the definitive versions. That's generally the case for 1-6, where it's the same pixel graphics but cleans up some bugs then adds a few 3D cut scenes and a new end game dungeon.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
VII to IX are serviceable (I think they're just the PC ports, right?-- Assuming that's the case, VII is buggy and IX might even be an upgrade), but the earlier ones are abominations that look infinitely worse than the originals, IMO. The up-res-ing just looks gross and really poorly done. I cringe whenever I hear about people being introduced to the games through them.

I've played them all before, but I could use something to play on the go, plus I don't have a mobile system and don't want to buy one. Hence the curiosity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->