All-Purpose Final Fantasy Thread

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It’s been about a year and a half since I’ve beaten FFXV. After giving it some time to marinate and internalize it against other FF games, it comes out as handily the worst game in the series to me.

Agreed on the combat. I thought everything else about the game was an embarrassment. I’ll even look back more fondly on FFXIII, due to its music and some really quality sections in Gran Pulse.

The only good thing about XIII was the music and, to be fair, XV has some excellent music as well.

Exploring FFXV was fun, you can't explore anything in XIII until pretty late into the story, so I'm surprised anyone would have XIII over XV. I suppose XIII's story telling was better than XV's, XV tells it's story in the worst possible way. It even out does XII which has a really great plot but told so poorly that it loses any momentum it might gain.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The only good thing about XIII was the music and, to be fair, XV has some excellent music as well.

Exploring FFXV was fun, you can't explore anything in XIII until pretty late into the story, so I'm surprised anyone would have XIII over XV. I suppose XIII's story telling was better than XV's, XV tells it's story in the worst possible way. It even out does XII which has a really great plot but told so poorly that it loses any momentum it might gain.

Yep, I suppose it depends on what you value in a game.

Neither game was particularly good when I played it. I just happen to look back more fondly on FFXIII. It’s has a few unbelievable moments, like when you first reach Oerba. FFXV has nothing like that, in my opinion.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Beat FF XV the other day. Overall I enjoyed it, but they didn't do a very good job of telling the story. After watching the end I had no idea what just happened. I needed to read a forum post where someone explained the ending. I don't think I was the only one who was confused.

I did enjoy the combat system though, despite it not being turned based. And the Hunts were a lot of fun.

Same. I had literally no idea what was happening at the end. I looked it up and found out what "happened" (trying to avoid spoilers) and I had no idea that had happened

The combat was fun but super repetitive and annoying at times. Some monsters were just so over powered and would stun you every second and you would constantly be healing. Or if you wanted to use magic you are basically just killing your entire team

Also the weapons system sucked. Those royal things were awful with all the negatives they came with. And the best weapons I used were just ones I bought at vendors as the game progressed. Like didn't ever make my own, find any, etc.

Felt like it could have been really good but it was just ok

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yep, I suppose it depends on what you value in a game.

Neither game was particularly good when I played it. I just happen to look back more fondly on FFXIII. It’s has a few unbelievable moments, like when you first reach Oerba. FFXV has nothing like that, in my opinion.

FFXV's only "woah!" moment is when you see Shiva and, by the time you get there, the story is already a total mess and hard to follow so I'm with you on that one.

I just enjoyed running around and finding stuff in FFXV a lot more than in XIII.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
FFXV's only "woah!" moment is when you see Shiva and, by the time you get there, the story is already a total mess and hard to follow so I'm with you on that one.

I just enjoyed running around and finding stuff in FFXV a lot more than in XIII.
FFXV is a game that suffers from being too pretty. They focused too much on the look of the game and not enough on the substance, the thing that actually makes a game great.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
@mrquincy27 Here's our Final Fantasy thread. As you can see we've covered a lot of different topics throughout here. Favorite games, favorite characters, music, all that type of stuff.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
@mrquincy27 Here's our Final Fantasy thread. As you can see we've covered a lot of different topics throughout here. Favorite games, favorite characters, music, all that type of stuff.

Happy to be here!!

Was curious to know about what people think of Final Fantasy 15? I personally really like but I know theres some mixed reception out there

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Happy to be here!!

Was curious to know about what people think of Final Fantasy 15? I personally really like but I know theres some mixed reception out there
I haven't really played it. But it seems like the concensus around here is that people love the idea and the look of the game, but that people don't think it's a great game overall.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Happy to be here!!

I enjoyed my time with it. Obviously very different but can say I had fun playing it. Was even before they fixed one of the chapters.

It obviously suffers a bit from having such a long development cycle and just having too much hype behind it. But I love the characters and the roaming around and some of the battle stuff. Also bromance.

Not my favorite but not my least favorite. Probably in the middle.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I enjoyed FFXV enough to platinum it (not exactly a difficult one to get) but then pretty much never wanted to play it again.

Though, it sounds like they've patched a bunch of stuff and also added a whole bunch of DLC since then.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
RIP best girl DLC and all the others

OldFrightenedEland-size_restricted.gif

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Well, apparently Square has announced that they are working on a AAA title for the Playstation 5... They should just push the FF7 remake to PS5, lol.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Have not played much of the Final Fantasy games, ok I've completed FFVIII and actually liked it as a whole.... Though I despised Rinoa... seriously could she be any more annoying... I wish she would just leave me alone.

Tried to get into IX and not sure if I can be bothered, I made it through the ice cave and to that weird village, but honestly it hasn't captivated me in the slightest.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Have not played much of the Final Fantasy games, ok I've completed FFVIII and actually liked it as a whole.... Though I despised Rinoa... seriously could she be any more annoying... I wish she would just leave me alone.

Tried to get into IX and not sure if I can be bothered, I made it through the ice cave and to that weird village, but honestly it hasn't captivated me in the slightest.

You'd probably like 7 and 10 more than 9.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I thought about buying 9 for the iPad and giving it a shot while spending 4 days at my inlaws for Christmas. I've tried a few times to get into it but I just can't. For all the good things I have heard, I feel like it deserves at least one more shot.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Dude, agreed. For someone who is supposed to be such a powerful badass she really is annoying, lol.

FF7 and FF10 are much more gripping games, I'd recommend those ones over 8 or 9, tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad