OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the retractable roofs either.

Even when they are open, you still feel kind of enclosed. It's better than nothing, but it still doesn't provide that same open air experience.

I've been to games at bc place with the roof open, and I am left feeling that it should open even further. It feels like I'm sitting in the edge of a donut.

Compared to my open air experience at Yankee stadium, there is no comparison.

Unless there is technology which allows you to feel that full open air experience with the retractable roof, then stand clear of it. Play early games on the road if you have to, but go with the open air.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just got MLB Network last week and I'm really enjoying watching games from some truly stunning ballparks.

Yeah, all in for an open air stadium. Design possibilities are just limitless. Imagine a scenic view from the outfield. Can't wait.

Reactions: the

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I just got MLB Network last week and I'm really enjoying watching games from some truly stunning ballparks.

Yeah, all in for an open air stadium. Design possibilities are just limitless. Imagine a scenic view from the outfield. Can't wait.

I got MLB Network on TV earlier this spring (not the internet sub). I thought i would be able to select a team or something but no it's just the free game of the day that is already available on the net lol. Gonna remove it from my package. It's sad the few amount of games on TV. I find the package online to be a little bit expensive. I mean i would pay it for the Expos but ...

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I got MLB Network on TV earlier this spring (not the internet sub). I thought i would be able to select a team or something but no it's just the free game of the day that is already available on the net lol. Gonna remove it from my package. It's sad the few amount of games on TV. I find the package online to be a little bit expensive. I mean i would pay it for the Expos but ...

I don't like watching games off my laptop so the MLB TV channel suits me fine. I have no rooting interest, just watching any game they have on is fine by me.

But, bring on the Expos and it's a whole other ballgame, lol.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't like watching games off my laptop so the MLB TV channel suits me fine. I have no rooting interest, just watching any game they have on is fine by me.

But, bring on the Expos and it's a whole other ballgame, lol.

Well you can already watch the free game with the MLB Network app if you have a smart TV.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well you can already watch the free game with the MLB Network app if you have a smart TV.

I'm not set up for that but eventually will look into it.

I got the MLB TV channel thrown in when I negotiated a new deal with my cable provider so it's kinda free. :D

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The league will hopefully keep trying to improve the game and work some of the modern kinks out of it, so the product is better by the time the Expos are back . Last year was an all time low for me in terms of enjoying watching baseball and I've been a fan for pretty much as long as I can remember. Seeing guys constantly hitting right into the shift like idiots is just no fun to me, the whole homerun or nothing philosophy has to go.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The league will hopefully keep trying to improve the game and work some of the modern kinks out of it, so the product is better by the time the Expos are back . Last year was an all time low for me in terms of enjoying watching baseball and I've been a fan for pretty much as long as I can remember. Seeing guys constantly hitting right into the shift like idiots is just no fun to me, the whole homerun or nothing philosophy has to go.

The new trend is awful. Sometime i'm wondering if the Jays GM knows what he is doing. I've never seen so many guys hitting below 250 in the same team. They all strikeout on a regular basis too. That's awful baseball i tried to watch some Jays games this year but it's unwatchable. I don't mind the strikeouts and a 240 average if the guy hits lot of homeruns but god a guy having trouble hitting 25 homeruns should hit for more than 220 and should not have more than 120 strikeouts. I miss the Expos days where hitting below 270 was considered bad lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The new trend is awful. Sometime i'm wondering if the Jays GM knows what he is doing. I've never seen so many guys hitting below 250 in the same team. They all strikeout on a regular basis too. That's awful baseball i tried to watch some Jays games this year but it's unwatchable. I don't mind the strikeouts and a 240 average if the guy hits lot of homeruns but god a guy having trouble hitting 25 homeruns should hit for more than 220 and should not have more than 120 strikeouts. I miss the Expos days where hitting below 270 was considered bad lol

I've seen some small ball plays today watching several games so it hasn't totally disappeared from the game. But yeah, the all or nothing batting approach has to change. Maybe they ought to go back to those outfield distances like the Polo Grounds or something.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
In the MLB Network is there some Expos classic games? A sorta of an 1968% “ME” channel? Others baseball teams idgaf’ing. Like about them. Like literally. I’m a Montrealerdou boy. Nothing else than Montreal. That’s my identity. That’s how I’m. The love of the game is only my city sports team. Like in any case. Since they relocated in Washington, I never watched a single game of this entire league...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Expos Trivia...

What Expos Manager was in a movie with Ronald Reagan? (one of his Expos coaches was in the same movie)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It’s natural and unique. To see the view of Montreal. Like the sky. Like the downtown. Like the skyscrapers. Like the buildings. Like the St Laurent River. Like surrounding this beautiful area. It’s a lively place. Specially the night life. Specially the four seasons. The winter. The spring. The summer. The autumn. Like every year seeing this makes me younger.

It’s such a marvellous experience. Like the eye test there.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Expos Trivia...

What Expos Manager was in a movie with Ronald Reagan? (one of his Expos coaches was in the same movie)
That's a hard one ! I've been thinking about it for half an hour but I just can't come up with a name. Since I don't want to cheat, just tell us the answer already !

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Yeah I love the aesthetic of open air ballparks. It just makes the experience much more enjoyable compared to the dome stadium vibe of places like the Rogers centre.
Especially for the experience for Expos Fans who’re not living in Montreal. Views from the AM. Views from the PM. The amazing pictures we could take from it. I’m a men who likes to breathe oxygen. Like from the outside. Like not from the inside. Feeling the coldness. Feeling the hotness. Feeling almost the generality of our climate.

I'm not a huge fan of the retractable roofs either.

Even when they are open, you still feel kind of enclosed. It's better than nothing, but it still doesn't provide that same open air experience.

I've been to games at bc place with the roof open, and I am left feeling that it should open even further. It feels like I'm sitting in the edge of a donut.

Compared to my open air experience at Yankee stadium, there is no comparison.

Unless there is technology which allows you to feel that full open air experience with the retractable roof, then stand clear of it. Play early games on the road if you have to, but go with the open air.
Natural baseball experiences > Unnatural baseball experiences

Ideal views will be Mtl. I’m 1968% surely sure.

Reactions: LeHab

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Gene Mauch. :sarcasm:
That's what I thought initialy cause you pretty much have to have been a grown man in the 50's to be in a Reagan flick. They all pretty much suck by the way, I've seen a few out of curiosity, the dude could barely act at all. No wonder his advisors took most of his decisions for him during his presidency.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Gene Mauch is correct, Runner got it.

Any guesses on the coach, who got to bean Reagan on a double play ball. (in the movie).

Dick Williams was one of Mauch`s coaches but it was one of the other coaches in the movie.

Edit:

Add...the other Expos coach in the movie with Ronald Reagan was Peanuts Lowery, an ex-teammate and friend of Gene Mauch. Was also a coach for Mauch with the Phillies. Some interesting coaches and media types around the Expos in those early years including Hall of Famers Dick Williams, Don Drysdale, Larry Doby and Duke Snider.

Edit2: ...forget to name the movie of the original question...The Winning Team...a bio pic of Grover Cleveland Alexander

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad