OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I have a particular aversion to the teams participating in these two pre-season games. Wish it were two other teams. Enough with the Jays, I can't stand their yearly victory parade as "Canada's team". Not so fast:

Regardless of their disagreements over television rights, when the Blue Jays reached the 1992 World Series, the team honoured Bronfman's contributions in bringing Major League Baseball to the country by having him throw the ceremonial first pitch for the first World Series game played in Canada.[191] However, and while Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey again acknowledged the Expos' role in his own team's existence, Godfrey nonetheless voted with the other teams to support contracting the Expos in 2001 and relocating them in 2004: "I know if it wasn't for the success of the Expos in those early years there would not be major-league baseball in Toronto. That wasn't an emotional or a baseball vote. It was a business decision."[192] The Blue Jays' failure to stand with their fellow Canadian team offended many Expos fans.[193]

Some of us have made the "business decision" not to support the Jays.

Don't forget, it is the Jays that essentially killed the Expos TV contract money because they relegated them out of Ontario. I give the Jays credit for hosting these games but it doesn't make me care for them. They are still a Toronto team and their actions now do not vindicate them for what they did when the Expos were around. The Jays voting for the relocation of the Expos makes no sense on any front, it was a done deal so they could easily have send a symbolic vote to the Expos instead of holding firm.

Reactions: Runner77

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I'll back the Jays if they are in the playoffs but I am by no means a fan, I rather wear Expos gear to Jays games then put on a Jays jersey. It just doesn't feel right cheering on any other team, especially another Canadian team that certainty loves the fact they have a whole country to themselves to cater to.

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Time to let the Expos RIP.

Baseball is an obsolete sport. Exciting for the 19th century, maybe.

Montreal should focus on an NBA team.

That is all.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Weren't those yearly pre-season games scheduled on a week-end in prior years? It's making it tougher to attract a large crowd on a Monday and Tuesday but regardless, I'm pretty sure they'll get a sizeable attendance.

Yeah don't get why this is not on a weekend. Not like the big O is busy and I'm sure they could ask MLB to have a home game series for this reason. Could have been a day game on a Saturday so parents would take kids. Also out of town folks could assist.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

That is all.

The steroid era revived the sport to a certain degree. It seems to be doing quite well, relatively speaking.

You want to talk about obsolete though, I think most pro leagues demographic is actually aging. I think it's a concern, and the response seems to be for the leagues to latch on to eSports.

It still baffles me how eSports has grown, and that it could one day be bigger than sport itself.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Yeah don't get why this is not on a weekend. Not like the big O is busy and I'm sure they could ask MLB to have a home game series for this reason. Could have been a day game on a Saturday so parents would take kids. Also out of town folks could assist.

I agree. For instance, I could have easily went up to Montreal for games over the weekend and catch a Habs game too. But since the game is on a Monday, I cant easily make that coexist with my school schedule.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That is all.

If you're so hung up on the NBA, why don't you start a thread about it? There is a small group of Montreal business people who is trying to bring a team in.

Better that than piss on someone else's parade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have disliked the Jays...........and just had a hate on for Selig and MLB for years now.................there needs to be a MLB team put back in Montreal!!!

Did they sell many tickets for tonight and tomorrow night??

If I heard correctly on the TVA broadcast, tonight's crowd is over 24,000. It would be a healthy attendance figure for a weekday in a 30,000 - 35000 capacity stadium as may be built.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
:)

I hope if they come back, he does too.

How, stuffed when he's dead? Alou coming back as what? A very static mascot? He'll be turning 84 shortly. By the time the expos come back, if they do, he'll likely be closer to 86 or 87, at best. Alou's coaching days are over. As an ambassador? Sure, but you,ll likely be wheeling him out at functions at that point.

I don't want to be mean about him -- loved the guy, but nostalgia doesn't trump common sense.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If I heard correctly on the TVA broadcast, tonight's crowd is over 24,000. It would be a healthy attendance figure for a weekday in a 30,000 capacity stadium as may be built.

My friend, Paolo is there and he says it looks like less people than last year. If it's 24,000, that IS a healthy Monday night crowd and gets you to a 30,000+ average if you count the higher attendance at weekend games, so close to 2.5Million fans for a year is great, Over 2Million for sure..

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How, stuffed when he's dead? Alou coming back as what? A very static mascot? He'll be turning 84 shortly. By the time the expos come back, if they do, he'll likely be closer to 86 or 87, at best. Alou's coaching days are over. As an ambassador? Sure, but you,ll likely be wheeling him out at functions at that point.

I don't want to be mean about him -- loved the guy, but nostalgia doesn't trump common sense.

Jeeze.. knee jerk much buddy?

Notice how i didnt specify in which terms.

I simply believe he'd be a great ambassador for a Expos return

OMG RIGHT?

Stop the presses

-Extray Extray, poster gets his panties in a bunch, maybe should lay off the sauce!-

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have listened to the TVA broadcast with Brulotte and Doucet. It just feels like it did in the early 2000s, the way Doucet calls the game, it's so laid back.

What was of greater interest were their guests from inning to inning, which included Bronfman, Arsenault (Marlins) Larry Walker and El Presidente. Dennis Martinez said that he is very close to certain key individuals in MLB and he's hearing that a team is coming to Montreal and it's close. I hope he's right.

What I enjoyed about the broadcast were the exchanges with the guests. They purposely delayed calling the plays or not call them at all when there was more minor stuff in favor of getting an Expos-focused perspective. They mentioned how Vlad Guerrero Jr. will be on the DL til May 15th. And how there are 4 players on the Jays who are the sons of former major leaguers -- Bichette, Biggio, Guerrero Jr. and Clemens.

Also, an Expos connection in the Brewers's lineup -- had not realized that Travis Shaw is the son of one-time Expos reliever, Jeff Shaw.

The worst part of the broadcast has to be Derek Aucoin whose wooden tongue is only outmatched by his incessant cliches.

It just feels like summer is coming when you take in a ballgame. Yeah, summer is coming to Toronto. Our baseball summers will have to wait.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brewers win it. Go f*** yourselves Jays.

Oddity on the Jays's last at bat, where Palacios saw his bat slip out of his hands like a projectile and it landed squarely on a lady's forehead on the first base side. A fan scooped up the bat but didn't see anyone come claim it. I don't know if fans can keep errant bats.

Just saw the lady get up with a hand on her forehead and you could see her mouthing "j'suis correct, j'suis correct." Hoping she's OK.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I absent-mindedly left the TV on the same channel I was watching the game and when it ended, it was followed by the Kevin Raphael show, a wrestling show but which tonight, was Expos-themed.

And this is how I just saw that Andre Dawson owns this: Paradise Memorial Funeral Home : Miami, Florida (FL)

Now I know why he never cracked a smile.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Jul 6, 2016
That is quite a drop from past years though

Cold March Monday night... Less kids in the stands, too... MLB should not pay attention to that figure at all. Fans have proved over the recent years that they were still loving baseball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad