OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not fully sure what is being proposed here. Is it to move the team to Montreal but have games in Tampa to fulfill their lease agreement or to keep the team in Tampa but play games in Montreal as the Rays?

I'm okay with getting the Expos back and playing some games in Tampa (although playoff games should be in Montreal if it comes to that). But the Rays simply playing games in Montreal as the Rays does nothing for me.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they were in Expos garb on Montreal home games and then wore Rays unis when playing in Tampa. :sarcasm:

Or combine both names and you get the Ex-Rays or X-Rays -- transparent but nebulous.

Reactions: donghabs98

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah i hated that. Cool for Puerto Rico though.

I want the team to be ours. Name, logo, mascot, the whole 400 ft. up to the warning track and beyond.

Also, please bring back the powder blue unis.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Bump for upcoming Expos 50th anniversary celebrations & Jays visit next week:

MONTREAL, March 21, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Ahead of the upcoming March 25 and 26 games at Olympic Stadium and the multiple events that will mark the Montreal Expos' 50th anniversary in the coming months, Charles and Stephen Bronfman wish to thank all fans, players, coaches, sports media and business partners for their support and loyalty to baseball and Nos Amours, the Montreal Expos.
Several activities over the next few days will highlight the baseball celebrations in Montréal and Quebec and the Expos' 50th anniversary. Several events dedicated to young players and coaches and marking the 50th anniversary of Baseball Québec will be held at Olympic Stadium on March 22 and 23, with the collaboration of the Baseball Academy of Canada.

The Expos Fest Celebrity Gala "50th Anniversary" will be held on March 24, with the participation of ten former Expos, including members of the original team. The former Expos will also be invited to Montréal City Hall the following day for the signing of the guestbook.

At the games to be played at Olympic Stadium on March 25 and 26, baseball and Expos fans will get the chance to admire many items related to the history of the Expos – baseball bats, jerseys and balls as well as the outstanding other memorabilia of several favourite players – and relive the great moments in the story of the Montreal Expos. Many former Expos will participate in autograph signing sessions before each of the two games, including Ross Grimsley, Tim Burke, Dennis Martinez and Claude Raymond on the 25th, and Mike Fitzgerald, Steve Renko, Coco Laboy, Javy Vasquez and Denis Boucher on the 26th. Rusty Staub and several former Expos will also be the subject of special tribute ceremonies during games. Come out to the ballgames and be part of the celebrations.

Join us in celebrating the Montreal Expos' 50th Anniversary

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bump for upcoming Expos 50th anniversary celebrations & Jays visit next week:

Join us in celebrating the Montreal Expos' 50th Anniversary

Thanks for posting this.

I've not gone back to watch any games at the Big O since they left, cause it would pain me too damn much.

I especially did not want to give a cent to the Blue Jays and as I've mentioned in this thread, it's the worst possible slap in the face that the opposition this time out, on the 50th anniversary celebrations, are the Milwaukee Brewers, a team that hails from a backwater and only has a team cause their owner was a corrupt baseball commissioner who did everything to have the franchise moved. And now here we are celebrating with the Blue Jays who voted for contraction and the Brewers.

And then I think how much longer will these guys be around? Especially those players from the Jarry Park days. They're falling one by one.

I wish they'd have Dave Van Horne on hand, would make it that much more enticing.

Any of you thinking of going?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just heard Melnick's interview with Felipe Alou. Wow, did it bring back memories. They obviously revisited those 93 and 94 teams. Felipe is in his 80s but still so sharp, doesn't sound that much different than when he was Expos manager. He's still involved with baseball as a special coach with the Giants.

He'll be in town next week during the Expos anniversary celebrations.

And I believe there will be yet another interview with Stephen Bronfman on Monday.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Just heard Melnick's interview with Felipe Alou. Wow, did it bring back memories. They obviously revisited those 93 and 94 teams. Felipe is in his 80s but still so sharp, doesn't sound that much different than when he was Expos manager. He's still involved with baseball as a special coach with the Giants.

He'll be in town next week during the Expos anniversary celebrations.

And I believe there will be yet another interview with Stephen Bronfman on Monday.

93-94 was pure magic for Montreal sports fans

:puppy:

Reactions: Runner77

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
They had the perfect spot when the Molson Centre was built, just two blocks away, Peel & Notre-Dame.

That's the huge empty field corner Peel and St-Jacques that belongs to Cadillac-Fairview which owns tons of real estate in Montreal. Right now, it's mostly rented as one of the few remaining venues to hold base camps for film projects downtown, with all the trailers and shuttle vans to and from set.

I've dealt with those handling the site over and over again. I'm not sure if the place is not still available with the right price.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Expos fans had so many heart breaking moments. On top of that many terrible bad trades. It all looked so promising once. Hard to figure out how it went so bad?

I think many factors. Many stadiums issues. Going back to 1968. Even the Big O were many hurdles just to build.

Our weak dollar another factor. Combined with huge increase in players salaries.

Down turn in Montreal in general. Montreal in the '60s and '70s was biggest city in Canada. Now, lag far behind Toronto.

The Jay's took a lot of fans. They had great success early on. Expos were once Canada's team. Use to go to Montreal every summer to catch an Expos game. See heroes like Gary Carter or Dawson. Later years, going to Toronto to watch Joe Csrter and Robbie play.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
FWIW:

I hope you're right, Felipe (says he's hearing rumors that an MLB team will relocate to Mtl).

Welcome back to the city. Pre-game celebrations will tug at the heartstrings tonight.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
getting tired of these stupid f***ing games. f*** MLB and the bluejays. you're not converting the city into being fans of your franchise and we're all getting irritated with these dumb games to 'prove' we're worthy of a team. f*** off and give us one already

Reactions: bsl and Runner77

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
getting tired of these stupid ****ing games. **** MLB and the bluejays. you're not converting the city into being fans of your franchise and we're all getting irritated with these dumb games to 'prove' we're worthy of a team. **** off and give us one already
While I hate the Blue Jays and won't support them, these games have definitely helped our cause. If fans didn't show up to these, we wouldn't be as close as it seems like we are to having MLB baseball return to the city.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
getting tired of these stupid ****ing games. **** MLB and the bluejays. you're not converting the city into being fans of your franchise and we're all getting irritated with these dumb games to 'prove' we're worthy of a team. **** off and give us one already

I have a particular aversion to the teams participating in these two pre-season games. Wish it were two other teams. Enough with the Jays, I can't stand their yearly victory parade as "Canada's team". Not so fast:

Regardless of their disagreements over television rights, when the Blue Jays reached the 1992 World Series, the team honoured Bronfman's contributions in bringing Major League Baseball to the country by having him throw the ceremonial first pitch for the first World Series game played in Canada.[191] However, and while Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey again acknowledged the Expos' role in his own team's existence, Godfrey nonetheless voted with the other teams to support contracting the Expos in 2001 and relocating them in 2004: "I know if it wasn't for the success of the Expos in those early years there would not be major-league baseball in Toronto. That wasn't an emotional or a baseball vote. It was a business decision."[192] The Blue Jays' failure to stand with their fellow Canadian team offended many Expos fans.[193]

Some of us have made the "business decision" not to support the Jays.

Reactions: bsl and TRG

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
While I hate the Blue Jays and won't support them, these games have definitely helped our cause. If fans didn't show up to these, we wouldn't be as close as it seems like we are to having MLB baseball return to the city.

Weren't those yearly pre-season games scheduled on a week-end in prior years? It's making it tougher to attract a large crowd on a Monday and Tuesday but regardless, I'm pretty sure they'll get a sizeable attendance.

Reactions: LeHab

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I now have a balcony, radio, outdoor chair and beer, all i'm missing is an Expos cap and Rodger Brulotte yapping "Bonsssoir ellllle est parrrtie!".

But then i see costs expectations to bring them back + stadium etc. and the dream dissolves.

Reactions: Justin11

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Weren't those yearly pre-season games scheduled on a week-end in prior years? It's making it tougher to attract a large crowd on a Monday and Tuesday but regardless, I'm pretty sure they'll get a sizeable attendance.

Yes because the MLB season would start on Sunday or Monday so the last preseason games were scheduled for Friday-Saturday. Starting last year, MLB decided to start the regular season on Wednesday-Thursday and thus the last preseason games are played on Monday-Tuesday.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I have a particular aversion to the teams participating in these two pre-season games. Wish it were two other teams. Enough with the Jays, I can't stand their yearly victory parade as "Canada's team". Not so fast:

Regardless of their disagreements over television rights, when the Blue Jays reached the 1992 World Series, the team honoured Bronfman's contributions in bringing Major League Baseball to the country by having him throw the ceremonial first pitch for the first World Series game played in Canada.[191] However, and while Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey again acknowledged the Expos' role in his own team's existence, Godfrey nonetheless voted with the other teams to support contracting the Expos in 2001 and relocating them in 2004: "I know if it wasn't for the success of the Expos in those early years there would not be major-league baseball in Toronto. That wasn't an emotional or a baseball vote. It was a business decision."[192] The Blue Jays' failure to stand with their fellow Canadian team offended many Expos fans.[193]

Some of us have made the "business decision" not to support the Jays.

I don't support any Toronto team. Because they're from Toronto.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have disliked the Jays...........and just had a hate on for Selig and MLB for years now.................there needs to be a MLB team put back in Montreal!!!

Did they sell many tickets for tonight and tomorrow night??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->