OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
My thought.

First officialize a team to montreal THEN approve financing a new stadium at Bassin Peel.

Not the other way around. Enough with public funds financing empty buildings.

you have a conundrum. You wont get a team before you have a new stadium.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Actually Mtl is doing very very well right. Has the best economic growth city in Canada in 2018. Trudeau-aiprport had 8 millions passengers in 2008...

in 2018...: 19.5 millions.

In 2017, Mtl had an historical record of foreign investement at more than 1.5 billion $.

Constructions area is breaking all record and they just announced about 4 more towers of 200 metres (Mtl has so far 5 ...190 to 200M in the city...4 more coming very soon)

Artificial Intelligence is doing very well too, Mtl is one of the world leader.

In 2018 Mtl was voted the second best students city in the world after Berlin and more and more of them wants to stay in the city after their school.

The REM will be a game changer too for the entire area.

Fans and season tickets holders will be able to go at the Bassin Peel from Kirkland, Pointe-Claire , Pierrefonds in less than 25 minutes...without transfer..

A Boston, Toronto or NY fan will be able to go at the stadium from the airport in 20 minutes without transfer.

The political stability is helping with no referendum in sight at all.

The startup system is growing a lot too
Sounds ripe for a recession to be honest.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Also another consideration for the peel basin is that area is a massive condo project that's like half done. Going to be wall to wall condos in a few years so lots of walk up ticket sales like in toronto.

I always thought children's hospital site was better but that's gone and this is 2nd best downtown area option.

Reactions: BeastMode420

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
They had the perfect spot when the Molson Centre was built, just two blocks away, Peel & Notre-Dame.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If the MLB cannot accept the Expos playing in the Big O for a season or two then they are not serious about moving a team to Montreal.
MLB can't be so dumb they will believe someone will actually build a stadium without guarantee there will be a team.

If this was hockey arena or to a lesser extent, football stadium, there MIGHT be a case for it but not for baseball stadium.

Olympic Stadium should be good enough to serve as temporary venue. So if a team comes via relocation it won't be another situation like the Raiders.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
MLB can't be so dumb they will believe someone will actually build a stadium without guarantee there will be a team.
you have a conundrum. You wont get a team before you have a new stadium.

Where are you guys getting this theory from? Not everyone is as dumb as Quebec City. The MLB commish Manfred has REPEATEDLY said they do not expect a team to build a stadium before they are actually awarded a franchise. What they expect for Montreal is a rock solid new stadium financial & construction plan in place though.

I have to believe the move to formally, publicly announce the intention to acquire the land is one of the last steps of the process. I'm sure it's been already informally approved or it would not be announced in newspapers. Bronfman is one of Trudeau's principal fundraisers, he would be well connected enough with the Liberal government to find out if they are OK with the sale of federal land or not.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The recent announcement certainly has me quite hopeful for an Expos return either through expansion or relocation (which if the Rays find a way out of their lease I can see happening). Montreal in my opinion represents a best case relocation scenario for the league:

-There is already a building in place for temporary use while a new one is built
-There is a loyal fan base already in place
-There will be immediate buzz and ticket/merch sales due to the Expos returning
-They have a committed ownership and essentially a TV contract in place with Bell who no doubt will hype the Expos hard for their own TV ratings

While I'm sure as an expansion team the Expos will have enough buzz for 1-4 seasons through their return and new stadium to not require winning seasons to generate buzz. If a talented young team like the Rays is relocated that would be perfect as the team can market a bright future to the fanbase.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The recent announcement certainly has me quite hopeful for an Expos return either through expansion or relocation (which if the Rays find a way out of their lease I can see happening). Montreal in my opinion represents a best case relocation scenario for the league:

-There is already a building in place for temporary use while a new one is built
-They have a committed ownership and essentially a TV contract in place with Bell who no doubt will hype the Expos hard for their own TV ratings

While I'm sure as an expansion team the Expos will have enough buzz for 1-4 seasons through their return and new stadium to not require winning seasons to generate buzz. If a talented young team like the Rays is relocated that would be perfect as the team can market a bright future to the fanbase.

Oh gawd, for sentimental value alone, I want the A's. I know it's less likely to happen, still, after the expos, the Bay area teams were my favs. The A's and then the Giants.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

We've already gone the expansion route and it's a long and winding road. Given how long the market has had an MLB team, I'd much rather have a relocated team, would be so much easier with all the org. already set up. Then, the final thing to determine is where the team ends up, which league and division. However, those will be fun aspects to get into and not as important. Let's just get the team.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
We've already gone the expansion route and it's a long and winding road. Given how long the market has had an MLB team, I'd much rather have a relocated team, would be so much easier with all the org. already set up. Then, the final thing to determine is where the team ends up, which league and division. However, those will be fun aspects to get into and not as important. Let's just get the team.
Rays Rays Rays !!!!!!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Rays Rays Rays !!!!!!

If they ever do leave....

1. it will be too long a time to wait..and

2. Las Vegas will offer a FREE stadium probably..lol
Compete with that...

Everyone loves Vegas..NHL NFL..soon to be NBA AND MLB

That's why i say expansion.......Big O will be ready in 2024 so they say...temporary home..makes sense..

Just like the Ny Islanders are now playing games back at the (old now redone over like new)Nassau Coliseum ...and for next 2-2.5 years they likey will play full time there....until the new rink is built

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I get the sense that relocation is the more likely path as expansion wont happe untill the Rays and As situation are sorted out. At this point things arent looking good for the Rays and if they find a way to get out of their lease you gotta think relocation will occur shortly after.

Reactions: Runner77

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Rays are gonna go to Vegas.

A's are destined for Montreal somehow. Both teams (spos and a's) had much in common. Just my gut feeling.
Not that the A's aren't a good organization, but Rays are stacked right now (espacially in the minors)... and as I said earlier, I'm so pissed at NHL's Florida teams profiting from the revenue sharing of the NHL (and with this money and low taxes, small media coverage, beautifull weather attract more UFAs than big northern market teams) that it would be sweet justice that their great MLB organization ends up in Mtl.

... but really, I don't care, expansion or not, as long as no public money (except already existing policies) is used for their return, I'll be very happy.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Rays are gonna go to Vegas.

A's are destined for Montreal somehow. Both teams (spos and a's) had much in common. Just my gut feeling.

Oakland ain't going no where.they got PRIVATE FINANCING.... Full ....lol...Now the location is TBD....currently some opposition to the site they picked...Oakland A’s ballpark plan: Howard Terminal’s industrial past poses challenges

"A’s leaders, who have commissioned design plans for the site, are still negotiating a financial deal with the port, with the goal to open the park in 2023. Team President Dave Kaval said he did not yet know how much the cleanup would cost, but that it would be privately financed along with the rest of the project."

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
If the MLB cannot accept the Expos playing in the Big O for a season or two then they are not serious about moving a team to Montreal.
The commissioner already said they'd be open to a temporary home while the stadium is in construction.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Retour des Expos: nos Z'Amours à temps partiel ? | VINCENT BROUSSEAU-POULIOT, DENIS LESSARD, ALEXANDRE PRATT | Baseball

Rumors that Bronfman is telling the governments the team would play part-time in Montreal, part-time in Tampa, with Tampa getting the start and end of the season and Montreal the middle.

Bronfman & his partners would own the team and Sternberg would stay as a major share owner.

If THAT is the ultimate end game, with no team full time within, oh, 2 years of this part-time business starting, then f*** that noise, and f*** investing in a stadium too.

I'd feel no partisanship for a part-time team.

Maybe this is a way to keep the team in Tampa until the lease obligations run out.

Reactions: stanley25

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Retour des Expos: nos Z'Amours à temps partiel ? | VINCENT BROUSSEAU-POULIOT, DENIS LESSARD, ALEXANDRE PRATT | Baseball

Rumors that Bronfman is telling the governments the team would play part-time in Montreal, part-time in Tampa, with Tampa getting the start and end of the season and Montreal the middle.

Bronfman & his partners would own the team and Sternberg would stay as a major share owner.

If THAT is the ultimate end game, with no team full time within, oh, 2 years of this part-time business starting, then **** that noise, and **** investing in a stadium too.

Maybe this is a way to keep the team in Tampa until the lease obligations run out.
I don't think it's anything more than a transition type scenario, with a clear full transfer date down the line. There's no precedent of anything close to a long term ''two-cities sharing a team together'' in pro sports . The closest thing is Washington and San Juan sharing some of the Nationals home games and that was a short term thing.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

According to the article, Tampa can develop associated land around Tropicana Field as long as they maintain lease. Lease runs out in 2027.

Half games is better than nothing but if they want to have end of season games hopefully rare playoff appearance can be split.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not thrilled about this. Reminds me of all those games that were split with Puerto Rico.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

If THAT is the ultimate end game, with no team full time within, oh, 2 years of this part-time business starting, then **** that noise, and **** investing in a stadium too.

I'm not fully sure what is being proposed here. Is it to move the team to Montreal but have games in Tampa to fulfill their lease agreement or to keep the team in Tampa but play games in Montreal as the Rays?

I'm okay with getting the Expos back and playing some games in Tampa (although playoff games should be in Montreal if it comes to that). But the Rays simply playing games in Montreal as the Rays does nothing for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->