OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Bring the Rays to Montreal and until the stadium is built, nobody's gonna give a damn about the Big O. It'll be packed like the good ole days.
You mean the 70s/early 80s when the expos were top 5 in the league in attendence ? I love your enthusiasm but I doubt it will be that packed ;)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
You mean the 70s/early 80s when the expos were top 5 in the league in attendence ? I love your enthusiasm but I doubt it will be that packed ;)
If it's only for a year or two, it'll be packed for sure. Might not be top 5, but we getting 20,000+ a game during the week wouldn't be impossible.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Bring the Rays to Montreal and until the stadium is built, nobody's gonna give a damn about the Big O. It'll be packed like the good ole days.

Big O will be undergoing major renovations including roof replacement expected to be completed by 2024. If a team were to temporarily play there, sufficient notice will be required to ensure both are not scheduled for the same year(s).

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
In an interview today Olympic Parc (RIO) boss reported a rumor Tampa may play 20 games in Montreal next season. Could be announced in September.

https://www.rds.ca/videos/baseball/mlb/mlb-a-montreal-la-situation-fait-jaser-a-tampa-3.1323559
20 matchs du baseball majeur au Stade olympique en 2020?

Wouldn't put much credibility there but should it happen would Montreal fans show up to cheer a team that isn't really theirs? Some baseball is better than no baseball but I don't think this would be a big success.

Quoting myself but...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
They say they want to do it to save baseball in TB. Honestly i don't see how it will help. Playing game outside of Montreal was the the end for the expos.

Reactions: Redux91

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I picked a good day to wear my Expos shirt. I'm intrigued to see how a deal would shape up. In particular the branding of a team because that will be a big factor in marketing the team here.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
split city baseball teams fulltime??? build 2 brand new parks??? wtf ?????????????????

Spaceman Bill Lee said this idea not long ago....split schedule Montreal /Tamapa

ok so Miami Marlins can head to Vancouver too eh?

Oakland to ???

No sure how i would feel about this one if i was being asked to build a new stadium in Tamapa Bay..lol

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I picked a good day to wear my Expos shirt. I'm intrigued to see how a deal would shape up. In particular the branding of a team because that will be a big factor in marketing the team here.
Les Devil Rays, Nos Poissons!

Les Poissons Sont La!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
if they are goona split the team "for real" long term...how do you called them Expos???

I hope this is nothing more than buying time for Montreal to finish a new park, then moved fulltime to Montreal .

Say no to"long term" sharing...lol

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Love that there's movement on the expos front, but really don't like the split team scenario. It really sucked when we had the handful of games in PR, so I can imagine Rays fans will feel the same, and that sucks. Also, it's not like they'd be a split team, and then all of a sudden go back to fully TB- the fans know it'll be a matter of time.

On our front, I can't really imagine many new fans cheering for a team that's only half ours- Montreal might struggle to get good attendance, and if our re-intro to baseball is splitting a team with zero cultural cachet and zero ties to the city, we're starting off weak. Since the Expos left, basketball has surpassed baseball, especially in Canada, so not only will the team be competing against the Habs, but the new generation who already doesn't care about baseball is getting drawn towards basketball, and with the raptors doing so well, they really need to go all out with bringing a team here, or it won't work.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
split city baseball teams fulltime??? build 2 brand new parks??? wtf ?????????????????

Spaceman Bill Lee said this idea not long ago....

ok so Miami Marlins can head to Vancouver too eh?

Oakland to ???

No sure how i would feel about this one if i was being asked to build a new stadium in Tamapa Bay..lol
Zero chance it would be longterm, and zero chance Tampa would get a new stadium out of this.

Reactions: Habaneros

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Zero chance it would be longterm, and zero chance Tampa would get a new stadium out of this.

are they thinking seeing there's like what 1.5 million Quebecer go to Fla every year,,500,000 live there?? that they could fill both parks ??..lol

Split schedule for 2-3 years is ok ,until Montreal build the park...after that good bye Tampa ,that gotta be the way.
None of this sharing teams for next 25 years .lol

Maybe they could form a team and call it the Wanderers...play in like 15 different cities a year..lol

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->