OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
That's what I thought initialy cause you pretty much have to have been a grown man in the 50's to be in a Reagan flick. They all pretty much suck by the way, I've seen a few out of curiosity, the dude could barely act at all. No wonder his advisors took most of his decisions for him during his presidency.
One movie of his I liked was the Hasty Heart, he wasn`t the lead though.

There`s a scene where Reagan has to recite all the names of the books of bible, it`s pretty impressive.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Where’s the location of the “Peel Stadium”. Any address? I want to visit it. Examining the surroundings. Testing my eye test. Taking some pictures. As a memory. As memories. It’s be my 1968’er challenge. Like in case they build their stadium at that place.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Can't help but notice Bronfman sure is laying low about the real estate deal around Peel Basin. This guy is moving slowly and quietly along, with alot of patience. Was there any info on the building of a new stadium? Would like to see a shovel in the ground!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can't help but notice Bronfman sure is laying low about the real estate deal around Peel Basin. This guy is moving slowly and quietly along, with alot of patience. Was there any info on the building of a new stadium? Would like to see a shovel in the ground!!

I believe we’re only going to see a shovel in the ground once a team is officially announced. Nice to see the project evolving in the meantime.

Reactions: BLONG7

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

He's doing everything right to bring a team back. He's doesn't overpromise, continues to get all the pieces ready for whenever a team comes back and is playing nice with the MLB. It makes me very confident that if the Expos comes back, they will have a stellar ownership group behind them that will run the team right (Which is something the Expos surely didnt have after Charles Bronfman left).

Reactions: BLONG7

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I gotta say though, it's hard not to get really excited at where things are going. We have a good group of businessmen leading the effort for an Expos return, the league seems to be interested in a return and the essential elements are coming together (Ex: new stadium). This is definitely not like the efforts to bring back the Nordiques.

I frankly think its just a matter of time and circumstance.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
We’ll build the stadium until we get or receive the approval by the MLB?

I highly doubt any group would build a ballpark without a commitment of a team coming in. Not with private money.

On a side note there is a (weak) rumor that July 7th game Nats vs Royals, two expansion franchises from 1969, will feature a turn back the clock on uniforms to commemorate 50th anniversary. Nats would wear Expos originals uniforms.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I don't know personally this Bronfman Jr. A shovel in the ground when it'll be all right to start this. Is gonna be fun...

The info on the building of a new stadium & other stuffs : All Purpose Expos Return Topic Part I

He's doing everything right to bring a team back. He's doesn't overpromise, continues to get all the pieces ready for whenever a team comes back and is playing nice with the MLB. It makes me very confident that if the Expos comes back, they will have a stellar ownership group behind them that will run the team right (Which is something the Expos surely didnt have after Charles Bronfman left).

Gotta say though, it's hard not to get really excited at where things are going. We have a good group of businessmen leading the effort for an Expos return, the league seems to be interested in a return and the essential elements are coming together (Ex: new stadium). This is definitely not like the efforts to bring back the Nordiques.

Where I can get reliable infos on Charles Bronfman? I can't turn into a bandwagon before I complete my investigation, you know... We'll be dependently dependant on him? The investors are on to?

Huh? They don't have to do that.
*Quebec Expos :D

I highly doubt any group would build a ballpark without a commitment of a team coming in. Not with private money.

On a side note there is a (weak) rumor that July 7th game Nats vs Royals, two expansion franchises from 1969, will feature a turn back the clock on uniforms to commemorate 50th anniversary. Nats would wear Expos originals uniforms.
It's a turnoff with private money... Not doing the Quebec mistake...

How the others MLB teams are reacting officialy for an eventual Expos comeback?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
5500 fans at the Tampa Bay Rays game tonight...yikes..

They got 33 wins 19 losses 1 game back of 1st place in Al East

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
5500 fans at the Tampa Bay Rays game tonight...yikes..

They got 33 wins 19 losses 1 game back of 1st place in Al East

It’s looking like the attendance figures that prompted MLB to move the Expos in 2004 except that Tampa is boasting a far superior team. Ironically, Expos attendance had dwindled on account of repeated fire sales. Imagine what would happen if Tampa did the same now.

Jul 6, 2016
It’s looking like the attendance figures that prompted MLB to move the Expos in 2004 except that Tampa is boasting a far superior team. Ironically, Expos attendance had dwindled on account of repeated fire sales. Imagine what would happen if Tampa did the same now.

Will the MLB move the TB franchise to MTL after all ? Baseball fans around MTL deserve a good ball club right from the start, not another expansion draft full of rejects.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Will the MLB move the TB franchise to MTL after all ? Baseball fans around MTL deserve a good ball club right from the start, not another expansion draft full of rejects.

Highly doubtful anytime before current lease expires (2027?). Current TB owners have valuable RE development rights attached to the lease which I doubt they would want to forgo unless someone would really overpay.

There will be threats of a move to push for a new ballpark actually in Tampa but I expect the team to remain in the area.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I gotta say though, it's hard not to get really excited at where things are going. We have a good group of businessmen leading the effort for an Expos return, the league seems to be interested in a return and the essential elements are coming together (Ex: new stadium). This is definitely not like the efforts to bring back the Nordiques.

If it's an expansion team, imagine the up front cost to build a stadium and pay like a $1B (USD) expansion fee? We are talking about a $1B to $2B initial investment when you factor in the cost of the stadium and expansion fee in CAD.

I hope the Expos come back but not sure how long it takes.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If it's an expansion team, imagine the up front cost to build a stadium and pay like a $1B (USD) expansion fee? We are talking about a $1B to $2B initial investment when you factor in the cost of the stadium and expansion fee in CAD.

I hope the Expos come back but not sure how long it takes.

Expansion fees will very likely be well North of 1B. If we are to believe Forbes numbers avg Franchise value is around 1.7B, this should be around what an expansion franchise would cost today. By the time MLB is in expansion mode expect +2B. Even to relocate cheapest franchise - value is reported to be 1B, after adding debt, breaking contracts and relocation fees you will be around expansion cost anyway.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Expansion fees will very likely be well North of 1B. If we are to believe Forbes numbers avg Franchise value is around 1.7B, this should be around what an expansion franchise would cost today. By the time MLB is in expansion mode expect +2B. Even to relocate cheapest franchise - value is reported to be 1B, after adding debt, breaking contracts and relocation fees you will be around expansion cost anyway.

Wow... so it's more like a $2B - $3B initial investment with expansion fee (converted to CAD) and cost to build a stadium? Dam, that's a lot to get our Expos back! But I guess the cost is not going to get cheaper as time moves forward.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Wow... so it's more like a $2B - $3B initial investment with expansion fee (converted to CAD) and cost to build a stadium? Dam, that's a lot to get our Expos back! But I guess the cost is not going to get cheaper as time moves forward.

That is just my speculation. Marlins, currently ranked as the cheapest franchise, were sold for 1.2B without any reloc.

If you want a sense of Forbes numbers -> The Business Of Baseball

My MLB expansion estimation is based on hockey where avg value is estimated at 630M and latest expansion was $650m. Pretty sure MLB will want to settle A's and Rays situation before considering an expansion.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I just hope it happens before some of my older relatives pass away, I'm an Orioles fan first, but my Dad was a big Expos fan so it would mean a lot to him.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Several pundits continue to assert that Tampa remains a viable candidate for a relocation. Don’t wish it upon their fans as it stings to go through that and not just the day of but all the anticipatory stress that goes into it for a seriously invested fan.

I realize there is a long term stadium lease to contend with, however everything is a matter of negotiation. I can’t see MLB sitting by with the current attendance figures and only act after the lease term expires. Something’s gotta give. Just my opinion, who really knows for certain.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Out of 11 active MLB parks I've been to in person, this one is my favourite.

From those 11... Outside of the AT&T Park it isn't even close IMO.
I agree. I've been to few mlb ballparks and I think Pittsburgh is my favorite of the new ones.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just hope it happens before some of my older relatives pass away, I'm an Orioles fan first, but my Dad was a big Expos fan so it would mean a lot to him.

Nothing grips at one’s emotions more than the nostalgia of a favourite ball club. For me, it’s about growing up while living the ups and downs of a team, a great play, a favourite player, stats, enjoying a summer breeze, an afternoon game, a sunset, the roar of the crowd and sharing stories with someone at the game.

I miss all of it, pre-game, post-game, pundit and fan banter.

Maybe your Dad misses them for the same reasons.

Reactions: Chili

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Several pundits continue to assert that Tampa remains a viable candidate for a relocation. Don’t wish it upon their fans as it stings to go through that and not just the day of but all the anticipatory stress that goes into it for a seriously invested fan.

I realize there is a long term stadium lease to contend with, however everything is a matter of negotiation. I can’t see MLB sitting by with the current attendance figures and only act after the lease term expires. Something’s gotta give. Just my opinion, who really knows for certain.

I cant see the MLB sitting around till their lease runs out. The players arent happy with the lack of fan support, the owner isnt happy about the lack of progress on a new stadium and Tropicana field is falling apart and not a good place to play in.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I cant see the MLB sitting around till their lease runs out. The players arent happy with the lack of fan support, the owner isnt happy about the lack of progress on a new stadium and Tropicana field is falling apart and not a good place to play in.

Same as the Expos for a long time,MLB needs to get a cap and revenue sharing for the small markets to contend. That was the downfall of the Expos. MLB has many teams that don't get fan support when they are not contending.

Reactions: Chili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->