OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Don't know about Colisee but for the new Videotron Centre Quebecor splits 50/50 deficits with the city up. Building a new arena when you have no long term commitment from a major tenant is silly.
Not against some support/relief but any potential owner owner better have a lot of skin in the game too.

Would prefer to see Big O retrofitting money for 3-4 games World Cup games to go instead towards some form of assistance to this project.

The stadium in Vancouver...BC Place...they took $600 million and totally made it like new.....

I get this feeling that is what Montreal is up to here with the BIG O...they got the same company that did BC Place now involved in Montreal..they will totally gutt inside . will be redo/redesign....grow grass....new retractable roof (for open air on good days).....and then the talk will turn to why don't the Expos play here now(for next 25 yrs)? watch....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't know about Colisee but for the new Videotron Centre Quebecor splits 50/50 deficits with the city up. Building a new arena when you have no long term commitment from a major tenant is silly.
Not against some support/relief but any potential owner owner better have a lot of skin in the game too.

Would prefer to see Big O retrofitting money for 3-4 games World Cup games to go instead towards some form of assistance to this project.

Sorry, brain cramp. I meant the Videotron Centre not the Colisée.

Did you see the deal Péladeau made in the eventuality of losses? Govt is picking up the tab.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
They shouldn't be on the hook for anything. Force the people who will profit from the team to pay for their own stadium or don't build it.

Might I suggest to broaden your horizons and see a bit further than that. If there is definitely a team, how many million in taxes do baseball player bring in, the team, the employees? We're talking of about a minimum 20 million return yearly. And that's just the direct return. The socio-economic impact of a team is huge for the city of Montreal, especially if it's a much more ideal project than the original O was.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The stadium in Vancouver...BC Place...they took $600 million and totally made it like new.....

I get this feeling that is what Montreal is up to here with the BIG O...they got the same company that did BC Place now involved in Montreal..they will totally gutt inside . will be redo/redesign....grow grass....new retractable roof (for open air on good days).....and then the talk will turn to why don't the Expos play here now(for next 25 yrs)? watch....

That'd be incredibly dumb, but typical of our provincial government.

Not sure the Bronfmans will sign off on that. IMO, they're dead set on a downtown venue.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I get the feeling there goona
1.put a new roof on it
2.grow grass (why do this ??)
3.revamp the place inside....

4. Pitch it as Expos new home ??lol

2. Natural grass is a requirement from FIFA
4. No way MLB or prospective owner will accept this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't really see a problem unless there's never a team going, which I think is unlikely but just a matter of time.

I think the govt got fleeced on that. They're on the hook for millions, while that thing is vacant and Péladeau is not splitting the loss. Bad deal for the govt.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
2. Natural grass is a requirement from FIFA
4. No way MLB or prospective owner will accept this.

Watch this video..same company now involved in The Big O " potential redo...
BC Place was a worn down facility.....looks nothing like it's old self now....600 million..a new stadium really...

Never say never...lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

La Ville de Québec a perdu 5,8 millions de dollars avec l'amphithéâtre depuis son inauguration en 2015, en comptant les intérêts et les frais d'émission sur un prêt lié au financement de l'amphithéâtre. Pour l'exercice 2017 seulement, la Ville de Québec a perdu 1,7 million de dollars avec le Centre Vidéotron.

Centre Vidéotron: des pertes de 5,8 millions pour la Ville de Québec | Vincent Brousseau-Pouliot | Actualités

Reactions: LeHab

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think the govt got fleeced on that. They're on the hook for millions, while that thing is vacant and Péladeau is not splitting the loss. Bad deal for the govt.

Depends of when and if the Nordiques are back. I don't think there's a long term negative impact on the ROI if they come back at least 10 years after construction.

Right now though, and with how Bettman is playing coy, I'd say the outlook isn't very bright, but I don't think it's a waste yet.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
BC Place was a worn down facility.....looks nothing like it's old self now....600 million..a new stadium really...

Never say never...lol

There's way too much concrete for anything like that to happen at the Big O. I notice that the top half of the BC stadium was made of materials that were much more easily disposable.

Main problem with the Big O remains the same -- it's design is not made for our climate. If they're going to be successful in adding a retractable roof, there will have to be a major design reconfiguration and I'm not sure the govt will want to go for that since the external features make it a landmark when it comes to identifying the city abroad. Still, impload please.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Depends of when and if the Nordiques are back. I don't think there's a long term negative impact on the ROI if they come back at least 10 years after construction.

Right now though, and with how Bettman is playing coy, I'd say the outlook isn't very bright, but I don't think it's a waste yet.

I didn't mean that it's wasted but that the govt made a very shortsighted calculation in footing the whole bill for rent while it's empty.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I don't really see a problem unless there's never a team going, which I think is unlikely but just a matter of time.

Even if a team comes here, owner as a tenant will have all leverage in negotiations. "Pay for upgrade or I will move the team".

Fortunately a hockey arena can host many events 12 months a year but without a major tenant finances will remain in the red.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Never say never...lol

They'd be extremely dumb to forego the aesthetics of a downtown ballpark for the sake of the long term health of the project. In a place like Montreal, such a small market, the game needs to be sold as a happening, and you won't get that around that god awful place the O is in. I know, I've lived there over 10 years, even with the new developments, that part of the island overall looks like a total wreck.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Even if a team comes here, owner as a tenant will have all leverage in negotiations. "Pay for upgrade or I will move the team".

Fortunately a hockey arena can host many events 12 months a year but without a major tenant finances will remain in the red.

Still better to have a (hopefully) viable property long term where someone else rents. It's always a gamble and governments have to balance out risk vs long term returns.

As long as there's a team there for 30-40 years, the returns in the end will far outweight the initial cost.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They'd be extremely dumb to forego the aesthetics of a downtown ballpark for the sake of the long term health of the project. In a place like Montreal, such a small market, the game needs to be sold as a happening, and you won't get that around that god awful place the O is in. I know, I've lived there over 10 years, even with the new developments, that part of the island overall looks like a total wreck.

My bet is this..they just kicked it down the road(1 yr delay) now done by 2024) so no return of Expos till atleast then ...i mean 3cm of snow shuts the place down...

Yeah there up to something...Next will here $250million now $650-700 million total redo just like Vancouver!.(look at what this company did to BC Place etc will be the rally cry) ....Now when ya spend that kind of money ?

These construction outfits can work miracles now a days..heck they could re pour new concrete arch beams inside who knows.....lol

lol i just wouldn't rule it out....lol

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
My bet is this..they just kicked it down the road(1 yr delay) now done by 2024) so no return of Expos till atleast then ...i mean 3cm of snow shuts the place down...

Yeah there up to something...Next will here $250million now $650-700 million total redo just like Vancouver!.....Now when ya spend that kind of money ?

These construction outfits can work miracles now a days..heck they could re pour new concrete arch beams inside who knows.....lol

lol i just wouldn't rule it out....lol

Just don't think the Bronfmans will buy in.

It's gonna be downtown or find someone else to shoulder and shoehorn that project

Don't the Bronfmans already own the lands where they plan the stadium in the basin area?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

It's gonna be downtown or find someone else to shoulder and shoehorn that project

Don't the Bronfmans already own the lands where they plan the stadium in the basin area?

It's goona be interesting...

I say this..what if the gov't spends $700 million on a total redo(because this is such a culture landmark etc)...then after it is totally rebuilt..offers it up to the Expos owners....

You never know....Toronto did just that..lol spent $660 million on Skydome.. gave it away to the Blue Jays owners for $25 million

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
That'd be incredibly dumb, but typical of our provincial government.

Not sure the Bronfmans will sign off on that. IMO, they're dead set on a downtown venue.

Exactly. No way they fall into that trap, recipe for failure. They're the ones who are putting up over abillion $ of their own money for this.

The bureaucracy managing the Olympic stadium has a really amazing lobbying operation. They keep managing to convince the government to sign off big cheques for maintenance and reno projects that the population is really dead against.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The govt owns the land the Bronfmans are after. I believe market value is $50 million.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Still better to have a (hopefully) viable property long term where someone else rents. It's always a gamble and governments have to balance out risk vs long term returns.

As long as there's a team there for 30-40 years, the returns in the end will far outweight the initial cost.

As long as citizens are happy so be it. I would never support such high risk "if you build it they will come" endeavor.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The govt owns the land the Bronfmans are after. I believe market value is $50 million.

The Big O is goona be totally redone...just intime for a return of the Expos in 2024...When people get the first tour ,the jaws will drop at how nice it looks.. then the talk will begin ...IMHO

Just look at the Oilers new building..built in a dumpy part of the city..then they totally remade that area..new condos /skyscraper office buildings /restaurants...multi billion dollar developments...etc....

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The Big O is goona be totally redone...just intime for a return of the Expos in 2024...When people get the first tour ,the jaws will drop at how nice it looks.. then the talk will begin ...IMHO

Problem is, it's not just the stadium that needs a major pimp job. It's like trying to pimp out a trailer trash hoe, only, you have to pimp up her whole family and neighborhood too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad