OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love that show Aucoin did when he invited the organist of the Expos. There were so many great anecdotes punctuated by the organist replicating all the in-game special effects and tunes. Aucoin seemed like a kid, laughing and reminiscing, it was if he had traveled back in time.

Reactions: dralaf

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Expos worst trade was probably Ron Leflore. Likely cost us a couple World Series. He bought the coke to the team.

My personal worst trade is giving up Randy Johnson.

Of course, it's obvious why they did it but can you imagine Randy and Pedro as your top two starters of the rotation for a decade. Beasts the both of them.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
My personal worst trade is giving up Randy Johnson.

Of course, it's obvious why they did it but can you imagine Randy and Pedro as your top two starters of the rotation for a decade. Beasts the both of them.
Randy Johnson wasn’t even the key player in that Langston deal, Gene Harris was the deal breaker, player the Mariners coveted the most followed by Brian Holman - RJ was not exactly but almost a throw in. An erratic 26-year old lefty...incredible how things work out..

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Randy Johnson wasn’t even the key player in that Langston deal, Gene Harris was the deal breaker, player the Mariners coveted the most followed by Brian Holman - RJ was not exactly but almost a throw in. An erratic 26-year old lefty...incredible how things work out..

Too bad Langston didn't want to be in Montreal.

Reactions: dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Depends how you choose to look at it.

Mine was a pure in hindsight angle, taking into full account what RJ became and not what he was or projected to be at the time of the trade.

And yes, Langston was a useless putz.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Too bad Langston didn't want to be in Montreal.
Everything was looking good heading into Aug. They almost had him signed to a 3-yr / $9M extension - one more week it would’ve been done. Then they head out on the road trip to play Cubs & NYM and everything collapses...including the extension.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Depends how you choose to look at it.

Mine was a pure in hindsight angle, taking into full account what RJ became and not what he was or projected to be at the time of the trade.

And yes, Langston was a useless putz.
NYM were going to land him, and run away with the division had Dumbrowski not pulled the trigger first forcing the Mets to settle for Frankie Viola. It was the right move to make for the Expos org no doubt about it - that move has to be made 10-times out of-10. Langston was guarantee win night from May thru July. Too bad Tim Burke was the best thing they had for a closer and Larry Walker was on IR the entire season, and wasn’t able to play AAA - his lefty bat would’ve helped even as an Aug call up

Hindsight is a weird thing without analyzing & projecting the asset value at that given moment in time - the NYM once offered up a lanky right handed pitcher with arm & shoulder trouble who could throw hard when not hurt, unfortunately he always seemed to be on IR back then and had missed the entire previous season due to arm issues...who knew Nolan Ryan would build such enormous leg strength & go on to play 20-more seasons and throw even harder.

Instead the best player of the 4-player package the Expos received for Donn Clendenon was Steve Renko...and the Mets went on to win the World Series with that trade.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sorry to bump an old thread.

Anyone watching the Expos special on the MLB Network right now? Really interesting documentary on the team. Gives me hope that they'll return one day.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Anybody knows why Hygrade still has the Expos logo on their wiener packages?

I mean, it's not a problem, really it's kinda cool. But it can't be a sponsorship deal that lasts THIS long, can it?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Lasorda was a star in Montreal in the 1950's, pitching for the Royals, Dodgers farm team. Led them to a couple of championships.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lasorda was a star in Montreal in the 1950's, pitching for the Royals, Dodgers farm team. Led them to a couple of championships.

Lasorda was a regular at Montreal's Casa Napoli restaurant. It was an amazing place. He sure knew how to pick his spots.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Bronfam group expected to request financial assistance from provincial govt for new ballpark.

Stade de baseball | Stephen Bronfman veut une aide financière de Québec

No details, still no general plan for the whole RE development project. Hoping to ride post-COVID recovery spending wave? I'll wait for the whole plan before commenting.
As long as it's from existing programs aimed at any type of investment, I don't mind. If it's a specific help (loan or direct spending) at building a stadium, they can screw themselves. As much as I like baseball and want the return of the Spos, there are more important issues that warrant government help than a billionnaire sport.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
As long as it's from existing programs aimed at any type of investment, I don't mind. If it's a specific help (loan or direct spending) at building a stadium, they can screw themselves. As much as I like baseball and want the return of the Spos, there are more important issues that warrant government help than a billionnaire sport.

The way tax money is wasted in this country & province this would actually be the best thing my taxes could possibly go for.

Reactions: Archy and EXPOS123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad