OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Great news.Not much Bring back the Expos news .Is this dead in the water?

I think if you were to bring anther major league sport to MTL, basketball is the sport to go. As much cool as it would be to have the Expos back, basketball is growing in Canada. I’m 28 and my memories of the Expos are Guerrero and Jose Vidro at the Big Owe :laugh:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's pretty much inevitable at this point it feels like. The league wants it, the city wants it, business people want it, the Rays organization seems all for it. The city of Tampa is the only obstacle left and they can only do so much to stop it .

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It's pretty much inevitable at this point it feels like. The league wants it, the city wants it, business people want it, the Rays organization seems all for it. The city of Tampa is the only obstacle left and they can only do so much to stop it .

Not sure if fans or Union want it.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I was talking about the fans in Montreal ! The PA will get on board in the end I think, if the team does better it's better for the players .

Are Montreal fans supporting? I thought most were lukewarm at best given expectations of a full team. Bronfman claims he doesn't have enough $$$ for a full franchise. Perhaps he wants to gain support by going "it's either this or nothing".

As for PA there is potential for extra revenues but the whole split city will be challenging for players and families. I think PA would much rather have an expansion.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I remember there were talks of it last year with the 32 teams scenario, Montreal being the other city coming in . There would be a pretty natural rivalry with Seattle for you guys, I'd be all for it !

Yes, although Portland and Seattle are on good terms as cities, there is a fierce rivalry in MLS and the Winterhawks and the Thunderbirds in the Western league although they are from Kent, it is not that far, about 20 miles from Seattle. I am hoping that Seattle gets another NBA team so that can continue with the rivalry with the Trailblazers. The Sounders get lots of people in their home games, even by international standards.

Reactions: Runner77

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
NO NO, I don't want baseball in MTL. I lived through all this before. We had a team, every year rich teams like NY Y simply out bid every other team to get our best players. Sure we had a team but no chance to win a WS unless its once in 200 years. I went to games knowing we only had a 25% to win the game.. so less and less fans less and less tickets sold leading to howels about the system and then 3-4 years of PROMISES that a CAP and even playing field is about to happen, well NEVER DID and the expos went bye bye. NOW just to the math. this promise was how many years ago? STILL NOT DONE. lies lies and more lies. Fool me once not going to fool me twice.
NOT ONE DIME until a full level CAP on ALL TEAMS is locked in and running. NO MORE BULL SHIT PROMISE.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
NO NO, I don't want baseball in MTL. I lived through all this before. We had a team, every year rich teams like NY Y simply out bid every other team to get our best players. Sure we had a team but no chance to win a WS unless its once in 200 years. I went to games knowing we only had a 25% to win the game.. so less and less fans less and less tickets sold leading to howels about the system and then 3-4 years of PROMISES that a CAP and even playing field is about to happen, well NEVER DID and the expos went bye bye. NOW just to the math. this promise was how many years ago? STILL NOT DONE. lies lies and more lies. Fool me once not going to fool me twice.
NOT ONE DIME until a full level CAP on ALL TEAMS is locked in and running. NO MORE BULL SHIT PROMISE.
MLB does need a CAP, there is zero doubt about this. The other major sports have it, and MLB will have to lose a FULL season like hockey did, and it will happen. Agents like Scott Boras need to be told, he does not drive the bus. The owners and players do....
The CAP system will be the only way to save that sport also...players and agents are out to lunch in their line of thinking.

As for the Spos, it sure does seem like a pipe dream right now, even though the Commish seems to be wanting Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->