All Purpose Coronavirus thread - NHL suspends season (March 12, 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I gave up on gas years ago, if you're gonna hassle with a grill, go charcoal and get some tasty carcinogens.

A gas grill is basically just moving a gas stove outside.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
I don’t think we’re getting games with crowds again this season, if we get games at all.

Eight weeks from now is May 10th.

Originally, I was pissed that the season was postponed.......but over the last few days it has shifted to, "I hope my parents don't catch this thing." They're both in their 70s. It gives me cause to worry.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
My Giant didn't even bother to try and compete directly with Wegmans when it opened here. They switched their inventory to focus on stuff Wegmans doesn't have; it's nice. They have a fantastic hot sauce and condiment selection now.
My local ACME is the same way with the condiments. The place is a garbage can otherwise, but I'll make a special trip just for the succulent sauces. I'm unashamed to admit I'm a condiment whore.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I gave up on gas years ago, if you're gonna hassle with a grill, go charcoal and get some tasty carcinogens.

A gas grill is basically just moving a gas stove outside.

I've got a small charcoal smoker I use when I need the carcinogens really roasted into the meat.

I'm hoping for some extended telework so I can have meatfests.

Reactions: klutch and BiggE

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
tenor.gif

Reactions: SnS

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My local ACME is the same way with the condiments. The place is a garbage can otherwise, but I'll make a special trip just for the succulent sauces. I'm unashamed to admit I'm a condiment whore.

Acme has those sausage ropes. Lancaster brand? That I love, I've got nothing like it here. Though these days you've gotta call and ask them to get it.

And you can order some kickass filet roasts from them too.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As for the NHL/NBA, I suspect that ban on mass gatherings may end up being longer than 2 months. MLB is gonna end up playing most of a season to empty parks is my bet.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
I've got a backup. It's empty of course, which is a shame because the easiest way to figure out if the tank is the issue would be swapping out. If the current tank were lower on gas I'd just get a new one but this thing is still pretty fresh so I've gotta discount other stuff first.
Exchange your empty backup now and futz with the defective one later. JMO.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
My gym has been closed since Thursday. I have been doing home workouts since, mostly with resistance bands. Because I usually use free weights, the workouts are a fun change.

Tomorrow I am going to train legs. Gonna have to get creative without a barbell for squats and deadlifts.
Lunges (forward and back), body weight squats, squat jumps, etc.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As for the NHL/NBA, I suspect that ban on mass gatherings may end up being longer than 2 months. MLB is gonna end up playing most of a season to empty parks is my bet.

2 months is also still a long time for things to change. The NHL doesn't really have to think about cancelling games they've postponed until May. It's a very optimistic view, not really cautious, to take. I just think the league provided they get the green light, are going to be very aggressive and very creative in putting together the end of the season, and they can and should shorten next season to do it if necessary. These guys are going to try everything to make their money back.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
My gym has been closed since Thursday. I have been doing home workouts since, mostly with resistance bands. Because I usually use free weights, the workouts are a fun change.

Tomorrow I am going to train legs. Gonna have to get creative without a barbell for squats and deadlifts.

I dont want to get on a soapbox here because I talked about this briefly in another thread a while back, but if you have a Switch, RingFit Adventure has been a great way to do workouts without access to a gym.

Reactions: VladDrag

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I don’t think we’re getting games with crowds again this season, if we get games at all.

Eight weeks from now is May 10th.

My gut feeling, assuming a bunch of players don’t come down with this is:

The regular season is done and final standings will be determined by points percentage.

After a week of practices, playoff games will begin in mid to late May. The first 3 rounds will be reduced to best of 3 and the SCF will be best of 5. This would allow the entire playoffs to be completed in 30 days.

If they can’t start the playoffs by June 1st, they simply cancel the season and no Cup is awarded. It would suck, but it is what it is.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So is the NHL f***ed for years.

If season gets cancelled, 50 mill cap next year ?

Potentially.

The bright side is that most teams got ~35 home games at this point so it's not total doomsday but a loss of playoffs gate revenue will certainly hurt a ton. I imagine the league will do everything they possibly can to get playoffs to happen with fans in the stadium. Probably will do something like allowing 24 teams.

1M - Bye
1A - Bye
2M - Bye
2A - Bye

3M - WC5/6
3A - WC5/6
WC1 - WC4
WC2 - WC3

Maybe have the "first round" be a best of five series or something to cut down on time a little but it would allow a team to get a few more games of revenue to cover for the lost regular season games.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
At this point I'd almost rather them cancel the season because I feel like winning a cup final with a cut-short season, shortened playoffs, and empty arenas would have too many asterisks next to it to really feel like a win.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Re MLB, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them cut the regular season down to 100 games and start it in early June.

The only league that won’t be too badly hurt is the NFL. They may have to cancel a few early minicamps and do the draft online, but that should be about it.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I sense a plot to get the Penguins Lafreniere. The trade for Zucker had these conditions: If Pittsburgh misses the 2019-20 playoffs, Pittsburgh has the option to send their 2021 1st round pick instead.

They'll give all teams an equal shot in the lottery if they don't have the playoffs and the Penguins will without a doubt win.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I got a set of these:

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells

They work really well and take up almost no room. Very convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->