All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion VIII: mmvvpp Memorial Thread (No Election Talk)

You may pick only one Thanksgiving food. All others will be erased from existence.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Watched Lady Bird (2017) outside of mine and my brothers list.

Was expecting more to be honest given what I had heard and read.

Maybe I would have liked it more if I was a unremarkable teenage girl from Sacramento with an emotionally abusive mother who is trying to find who they are... but hey.

I did like Saoirse Ronan's performance. She was great. And it has some great lines. And is well filmed. And plus marks for having a Love song in it. It also represents teenage lives pretty well... albeit lame teenagers lives, :laugh: as well as many peoples tendency at that age to try and find who they are and be "someone" or "something".

Just don't see how it was ground-breaking or got the praise and acclaim it did. Like it is "okay" in most aspects really.

Caught it recently. I appreciated just how unlikable the protagonist is written. She's beyond foolish, pretentious, and naive--she's damn near unsympathetic. Considering it comes off as autobiographical, that's a pretty bold choice. It also reminded me quite a bit of my own adolescent foolishness, and I was most definitely not a teenage girl from Sacramento. But yeah, you're right, it was just fine.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Russell Crowe in Unhinged....what a nutjob.

I had to shut it off a few minutes in.

Papillon is a movie I just watched, based on the Novel of a dude that got sent to French Guiana, and his attempts at escape.

Holy shit what a film, and story!

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I had to shut it off a few minutes in.

Papillon is a movie I just watched, based on the Novel of a dude that got sent to French Guayana and his attempts at escape.

Holy shit what a film, and story!

Which version, Steve McQueen?

And like most good stories, there's a lot of fiction there.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The travel thing. Or lack of... Man how I miss it.

B71C566F-9005-41FE-9960-DB12AF73FAB9.png
B4DB8CE2-D0DB-4313-A597-1D3F6FFA9B08.png
9E3F6053-E28B-4C26-8C6F-5D0C1816CC1E.png
0BBD7D41-44FC-4127-9C2D-7C2803DE077F.png

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

Last play of the game.

Basically going for the drop goal to win it when tied as time ran out...

hits the post. That bounce. And that chase to get the ball down without going out.

Does the game not end until the last play finishes even if it's after the clock expires?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Thank god thanksgiving was cancelled

There are pictures everywhere of mall food courts packed to the gills yesterday.

Meanwhile, restaurants in many of the same states have been forced to close or drastically limit capacity.

People obviously want to live their lives & to do so are willing to take the risk of exposure to a virus that for 99% of them poses a risk no greater than the flu. So governments should stop scapegoating the restaurant & bar industry & all of its workers & small owners.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are pictures everywhere of mall food courts packed to the gills yesterday.

Meanwhile, restaurants in many of the same states have been forced to close or drastically limit capacity.

People obviously want to live their lives & to do so are willing to take the risk of exposure to a virus that for 99% of them poses a risk no greater than the flu. So governments should stop scapegoating the restaurant & bar industry & all of its workers & small owners.

Really? So what long-term impacts does a flu have on one's health and mortality?
There are going to be millions of people in a couple decades who are going to be surprised by the aftermath of this "flu."
They're finding more and more evidence of damage throughout the body from COVID.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
The lasting misery of coronavirus long-haulers
Study of COVID-19 Risk and Long-Term Effects Underway at 37 U.S. Academic Medical Centers
Looking forward: Understanding the long-term effects of COVID-19 | NHLBI, NIH

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Really? So what long-term impacts does a flu have on one's health and mortality?
There are going to be millions of people in a couple decades who are going to be surprised by the aftermath of this "flu."
They're finding more and more evidence of damage throughout the body from COVID.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
The lasting misery of coronavirus long-haulers
Study of COVID-19 Risk and Long-Term Effects Underway at 37 U.S. Academic Medical Centers
Looking forward: Understanding the long-term effects of COVID-19 | NHLBI, NIH
So your for closing small businesses down but not for canceling historically cluster f events like Black Friday?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So your for closing small businesses down but not for canceling historically cluster f events like Black Friday?

I'm for closing any event/store/bar/restaurant that's a high risk for spreading the virus.

The Supreme Court logic on its recent decision simply shows that lawyers are mostly ignoramuses, since the Conservative justices who voted in favor of religious institutions ignored the science - people inside for hours, speaking loudly, etc. are a high risk event - and what churches have limited capacity with people praying silently and no social interaction?

There's a huge difference between shopping in a box store with high ceilings and good ventilation, with everyone wearing masks, and what's going on in some of these malls with small stores with bad ventilation and people going maskless. And people crowding food courts is mass stupidity. It's going to be a disaster on top of the Thanksgiving disaster - December is going to be a month of death. We're already at 2,000 dead per day and it's going to get worse.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I'm for closing any event/store/bar/restaurant that's a high risk for spreading the virus.

The Supreme Court logic on its recent decision simply shows that lawyers are mostly ignoramuses, since the Conservative justices who voted in favor of religious institutions ignored the science - people inside for hours, speaking loudly, etc. are a high risk event - and what churches have limited capacity with people praying silently and no social interaction?

There's a huge difference between shopping in a box store with high ceilings and good ventilation, with everyone wearing masks, and what's going on in some of these malls with small stores with bad ventilation and people going maskless. And people crowding food courts is mass stupidity. It's going to be a disaster on top of the Thanksgiving disaster - December is going to be a month of death. We're already at 2,000 dead per day and it's going to get worse.
Inside for hours in a church? How long do you think services are?
Some, not all, churches have ceilings as high or higher than some big box stores.
The simple fact that smaller establishments were forced to close or forced to eliminate an integral part of their business on one of their busiest days of the year while a chaotic event like Black Friday was allowed to be ran full bore is so hypocritical that I cannot fathom how anyone is ok with it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Some, not all, churches have ceilings as high or higher than some big box stores.
The simple fact that smaller establishments were forced to close or forced to eliminate an integral part of their business on one of their busiest days of the year while a chaotic event like Black Friday was allowed to be ran full bore is so hypocritical that I cannot fathom how anyone is ok with it.
As American's we have the God given right to buy extremely marked up yoga pants at 15% off!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I attended a few church services with my in-laws when I was first married, they're not 15 minute affairs, more like a couple hours with numerous hymns, prayers, sermons, etc., and there are crowds in the halls after services with people socializing.

I'd do a little research before making a blanket statement, which malls in which states with which restrictions?
Many of the Red states have limited restrictions despite the pandemic going wild, and in some cases Republican legislatures (Michigan) have blocked attempts to impose restrictions.

In many cases, it's less about hypocrisy than bureaucratic ineptitude in face of a novel situation - no state government was prepared for this circumstance, and few have the expertise or resources to make fine distinctions.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I attended a few church services with my in-laws when I was first married, they're not 15 minute affairs, more like a couple hours with numerous hymns, prayers, sermons, etc., and there are crowds in the halls after services with people socializing.

I'd do a little research before making a blanket statement, which malls in which states with which restrictions?
Many of the Red states have limited restrictions despite the pandemic going wild, and in some cases Republican legislatures (Michigan) have blocked attempts to impose restrictions.

In many cases, it's less about hypocrisy than bureaucratic ineptitude in face of a novel situation - no state government was prepared for this circumstance, and few have the expertise or resources to make fine distinctions.
Yes let’s not generalize and do some research, except for your generalization on church service duration and ceiling height.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I would guess that church services would have to be altered significantly: no singing, shaking hands, receiving communion. So a silent, reduced crowd assembling just to listen to the readings/sermon? I’m less acquainted with the traditions of other religious groups, so I won’t speculate on changes.

I was raised Catholic; most masses were 45-75 minutes—the upper limit accounts for holidays. Some more conservative/orthodox religious communities spend hours in services.

Reactions: Defect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->