Is Mayonnaise An Instrument?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have no fear of heights, but I've steadily stopped trusting ladders. I worked as an exterior painted for a summer and too many concerning little things happened. Sitting on a three story ladder as one leg decides to randomly settle a little, or if the wood siding you're on has rot you can't see and it suddenly settles in...those are quick little "am I dying now?" moments.

The thing that kills me is getting back on them from a height. It has been a problem since I was about eight and helping my dad build the extension, shaking like a bastard.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The thing that kills me is getting back on them from a height. It has been a problem since I was about eight and helping my dad build the extension, shaking like a bastard.

Yeah, I guess to be clear, I dont have a problem with Heights as much as I do not having something stable to be on when at height. I can climb a ladder all day long, and am perfectly at ease on planes. But that transition from ladder to roof? F off.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That’s fine, but it’s still a story from a non right wing source. Doctors told abc7 out there that and the right wing website didn’t skew their words.

Whats RT?

Russia Today. The Kremlin-owned English-language propaganda outlet for Russia. They're on the cutting edge of modern propaganda and hit full stride with the Crimea incident, so it's been deeply depressing to watch several news outlets in the US openly begin copying their methods at a greater pace. We do not need that here. Their main "innovation," or rather re-discovery, was looking back at why Soviet propaganda failed and realizing that outright lying is a tricky thing. If you tell everyone the shelves are full and there are no lines, that goes out the window as people wait in lines at empty stores, and in turn the people just reject what you're feeding them. So while RT will outright mislead, they don't risk it with easily disprovable things. Their main method is taking factual reporting and then selectively portraying it to create a different story that backs what the Kremlin wants people to believe rather than what is actually true. It's elegant in a depressing way. So they'd report that the people of Crimea voted overwhelmingly in favor of the already-done annexation; which is true, that was the result. But they'd leave out the part where the polls were administered by overly-enthusiastic gangsters and militias who were directly controlled by Russian spec ops/GRU; and leaving out that bit of context changes the story a lot. Since other reports showed people weren't allowed to vote any other way.

Either way, it's purely anecdotal. And that anecdote was selected by The Blaze to help them build their "this isn't so bad, the cure is actually worse than the disease" narrative.

Reactions: kudymen and Defect

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I started watching "Hunters" last night. It's a great idea and there are some incredibly poignant moments - there's one scene where a matchmaker/fixer ("a professional yenta") says that she has made 300+ matches and those matches are responsible for 900+ new Jewish souls, "but that is still 5,999,000+ short" - but unfortunately, the execution of the rest of it is very meh at best. The lead is a millennial/zillennial pile of puke who is very obviously meant to be a kind of Hebrew Peter Parker sans superpowers, and unwittingly comes off as mewly and pukey as the second millennial Spiderturd, the one who wore that giant oversized jacket in that Mel Gibson war movie, Andrew Barfield.

BuriedInIce

Mar 6, 2010
San Diego
Restaurants for dine-in (with seating time limits) and retail for in-store shopping this weekend here in San Diego. Still under statewide order for physical/social distancing and no gatherings with non-household members. Many restaurants are being given the green light for seating outside on sidewalks. Some areas are proposing closing down certain street blocks to accommodate outdoor seating.

Coronavirus Disease 2019

Decided to book a tee time this weekend (my first round in about 6 years - this isn't going go to well): Coronado Golf Course - Coronado, CA

Reactions: Starat327

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I clean the gutters with a 40' extendable ship ladder my grandfather bought 60 years ago. Pretty sure that's how I'm going out.

Starting this tonight:

10133950.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Restaurants for dine-in (with seating time limits) and retail for in-store shopping this weekend here in San Diego. Still under statewide order for physical/social distancing and no gatherings with non-household members. Many restaurants are being given the green light for seating outside on sidewalks. Some areas are proposing closing down certain street blocks to accommodate outdoor seating.

Coronavirus Disease 2019

Decided to book a tee time this weekend (my first round in about 6 years - this isn't going go to well): Coronado Golf Course - Coronado, CA

I'm surprised they are opening restaurants but don't want you spending time with friends. That makes little sense. It's easier to social distance with a small group of friends in your yard than it is with strangers at a restaurant or store.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Coronavirus Disease 2019

I love Coronado. One of the places I miss the most about living in SoCal.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The only solution to this is doing it so often you stop caring. There are only so many ways to get back on and they all feel awkward to me. And I've done it a lot. It doesn't stop being nerve-wracking, you just give up on caring.

Back in high school I was on the too-small dance committee so I spent many hours on a tall scaffold (Which we removed the safety rails from because they were taller than the gym's girders and working around that slowed us down; we had a firm NO f***ING AROUND rule with only two people up at a time and never left the center. Looking back we were out of our lunatic minds), and getting down was easily the hardest part. We really should have had a harness. Seniors all wanted to write their names on the gym ceiling/girders. I probably could have made a lot of money doing it for them, but if they asked I just did it. A tiny number of guys came up and successfully did it themselves. The troubling group was the pool of macho dudes who had to act tough, and therefore didn't have the wisdom to ask us to do it. They'd climb up, get up top, and freeze. Some of them would manage to crouch and scribble something out. None of them were able to get back on the ladder. Not one. We had to break our Rule of Two several times to safely get those guys back on the ladder. We warned all of them that the scaffold crew had built up to being up there over months or years and that the first time can be terrifying, but nooooo they were too badass for all that.

At least I got to see every cocky fake-badass in my class melt down. I wasn't a dick about it and didn't tell anyone else, it's not a fun thing to go through...but that's still satisfying on some primal level.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I clean the gutters with a 40' extendable ship ladder my grandfather bought 60 years ago. Pretty sure that's how I'm going out.

Starting this tonight:

10133950.jpg

Outsourcing your military rather than building a deep manpower reservoir turns out to be an inferior method. Carthage is Exhibit A for that because they can be handily compared with Rome. Incidentally, Rome is Exhibit B because they can be handily compared to Rome.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
If you can't beat the rain ..sing about it

Led Zeppelin: Rain Song
The Beatles: Rain
Breaking Benjamin: Rain
CCR: Who'll Stop the Rain
Queen: Rain Must Fall
Grateful Dead: Box of Rain
Led Zeppelin: Fool in the Rain