Which is greatest and best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Here in Australia... Flu like symptoms. Went to the local hospital where they had a separate testing station. Got tested in 20 minutes and given extra masks and told to self-isolate until result.
Result came 25 hours later.. negative. Boss told me to take the next few days off anyway to get better.

Happy to hear that you were cleared.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
A few important points here:

1) Hot roast beef sandwiches >> hot ham sandwiches. Couple some beef with melted provolone and banana peppers and it's game over. Au jour or horseradish based sauce....doesn't matter. See also: Nick's

You've apparently never had a croque monsieur. Or for that matter, croque madame. The nirvana of sandwiches. Excluding cheesesteak and hoagies of course.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I chose Ham based samwiches... since as an Eye-talian it would be sacrilege to disavow pork based deli meats. However, I do like DiNics roast beef sandwiches with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe. Can't wait to eat one of them when Reading Terminal is back....

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Let's focus on some positives to come out of this debacle.

On my end, working from home gave me an extra two hours a day for school and that was a gamechanger. I've been ordered to grow a beard, so we get to find out where that goes. I have time to exercise again. I've seen my daughter more. We've done culinary exploration. I have some time to read. Sure haven't spent much on gas, and we've developed far more efficient grocery habits. I've learned that despite @deadhead having mostly polar opposite hockey views from me, we largely agree on application of historic trends to modern events; remember all, we've all got something in common we can agree on here.
I've realized how much I need sports to stay happy.

I've realized how important it is to shelter yourself from others because they really just don't care.

I too have cooked more. I've spent very little on anything really, especially gas, and that former point will likely continue... especially eating out. My hygiene habits are off the charts so hopefully that cuts down on non-pandemic sickness in the future. I've made nursing friends at the hospital because misery loves company and we bond over the phone and at the window. I've learned a lot of new songs on the piano because I don't have the evening blocked out for sports and I'm proud of all the left handed involvement I've been learning, like in Teo Torriatte. I baked for the first time.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Coronavirus: How the sex industry will operate under Covid-19 level 2

Sex workers and strip clubs are still trying to clarify what they can and can't do when coronavirus restrictions ease.

People working in the industry are eager to return as some hadn't applied for the wage subsidies available due to the stigma attached with their occupation, Prostitutes' Collective national coordinator Dame Catherine Healy told Stuff.

“[They] are afraid to go into a system to declare they are sex workers and that's unusual as that doesn't apply to everyone else.”

Reactions: Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You've apparently never had a croque monsieur. Or for that matter, croque madame. The nirvana of sandwiches. Excluding cheesesteak and hoagies of course.
I actually had one in Quebec. It's just a hot ham and cheese, it was great and I definitely still make hot ham and cheeses at home but...hot roast beef sandwiches are better

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
@Cody Webster y u wish bad thingz on me?

I like this idea. I too, have exercised a lot more since this all hit. I figured since I dont have a commute, I can dedicate at least half an hour a day to doing something physical. I've lost 10 lbs in 2 months (not bad seeing as how my beer consumption has gone up most likely). I've also started being a little more active in the kitchen - albeit still second to the fiance in that department. I've gotten back in regular contact with friends who i used to not talk with all that often through Teams meetings, etc. My fiancee and I found out that after moving in with each other and 2 weeks later being told we were stuck with each other, that we just might be able to make this marriage thing work.

Similarly to you, I've realized that there are bad hockey opinions, and then there are just bad people. Confirmation that some are in one group and some are in the other has been helpful in determining who stays on ignore, who gets a longer leash, and who gets added to ignore. I've enjoyed the banter that we all have on here a lot more since we cant necessarily go and meet up with friends whenever we want. So i guess thank you to all you crazy f***s for helping makie this time a little easier by being a (generally) good group of people.

Oh and also, this whole thing has put HC and I's campaign basically on autopilot, so thats kinda awesome too.

I quit my job for the second time, but somehow landed in a better spot. I quit on March 6th, but then society collapsed a week later. My skill set and knowledge ended up being the perfect combination for our current situation and I ended up essentially running our entire school district for a month. After we were up and running, I helped other districts get their students up and running too. When the dust settled, I quit again.

Turns out I'm "too valuable" to lose. They asked me to make a position that I would be okay with staying. So now I'm going to make more money, be responsible for half of the things I'm responsible for now, have my own team of four people to work for me, I essentially have no boss, and I'm allowed to take days off to do consulting, which will net me even more money.

Holy upper middle class white male privileged, batman. We're in the middle of a global pandemic that has seen unemployment sky rocket and my dumbass quits my job, not once, but twice. Then I end up in a better position than I was before. It is really quite absurd.

Also, I started walking/jogging on most days. I usually go to the gym at least four days a week, so that needed to be replaced somehow. I hate running outside, too much impact on my knee, but I have at least started to enjoy walking each day.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
@Cody Webster y u wish bad thingz on me?

I like this idea. I too, have exercised a lot more since this all hit. I figured since I dont have a commute, I can dedicate at least half an hour a day to doing something physical. I've lost 10 lbs in 2 months (not bad seeing as how my beer consumption has gone up most likely). I've also started being a little more active in the kitchen - albeit still second to the fiance in that department. I've gotten back in regular contact with friends who i used to not talk with all that often through Teams meetings, etc. My fiancee and I found out that after moving in with each other and 2 weeks later being told we were stuck with each other, that we just might be able to make this marriage thing work.

Similarly to you, I've realized that there are bad hockey opinions, and then there are just bad people. Confirmation that some are in one group and some are in the other has been helpful in determining who stays on ignore, who gets a longer leash, and who gets added to ignore. I've enjoyed the banter that we all have on here a lot more since we cant necessarily go and meet up with friends whenever we want. So i guess thank you to all you crazy f***s for helping makie this time a little easier by being a (generally) good group of people.

Oh and also, this whole thing has put HC and I's campaign basically on autopilot, so thats kinda awesome too.

I'm sorry :(

Just looking out for the health of our future VP.

Glad you guys are finding time to workout more. I'm the complete opposite. Since I moved into my place in December, I made a new year's resolution to get up and go to the gym before work. It was definitely a struggle, especially those cold winter mornings, but I managed to do it. I was just getting used to my new routine and then boom, this hit. I just don't have the motivation to workout at home, nor really have any idea what to do. I've done some runs, but the weather has been such shit, that i can't get in a good routine with that. I did just get my bike over to my house, so I think I'll start going on bike rides daily, when the wind isn't blowing 100mph. Other than that, I've just been a lazy pos

Reactions: Starat327

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm sorry :(

Just looking out for the health of our future VP.

Glad you guys are finding time to workout more. I'm the complete opposite. Since I moved into my place in December, I made a new year's resolution to get up and go to the gym before work. It was definitely a struggle, especially those cold winter mornings, but I managed to do it. I was just getting used to my new routine and then boom, this hit. I just don't have the motivation to workout at home, nor really have any idea what to do. I've done some runs, but the weather has been such shit, that i can't get in a good routine with that. I did just get my bike over to my house, so I think I'll start going on bike rides daily, when the wind isn't blowing 100mph. Other than that, I've just been a lazy pos
It is not easy getting motivated to work out at home. I have an underused treadmill in my basement as a result. I have been hiking and bike riding ..with my mask of course and areas where people aren't congregating like they are at an outdoor rave......COVELLA. The weather has definitely limited my regimen. I miss the gym at work and my weight training which wasn't anything like a gym rat but kept me somewhat toned and not looking like the Shmoo. I still can't shed the 10-12 pounds I need to shed and my belly is looking more distended than I want! I swear my 3 flats I got on my road bike are the result of my added weight! 3 damn flats in a span of a week. Screw this damn virus!

Reactions: Cody Webster

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I didn't work out before, and don't now. But I decided to make an effort to eat less potato chips which are my kryptonite. Since Jan 25th I am down 11 lbs. But I have still had chips just not as many. And damn mini eggs....eating/sharing 3 big bags of those in April didn't help the weight loss.

My business....well not many stores are buying licenced hats right now. But I was lucky enough to have a supplier get in 3 layer masks and I was able to help stores like Pharmacies and clinics...and in the end, the public. To date, I have sold over 38,000 masks and also donated a few thousand. I also teamed up with a local skincare company that Health Canada asked to produce hand sanitizer and I have been funneling customers to their website. The result will make this my 2nd best year so far(maybe best) since starting my own business in Sept 2016. I have already passed 2 other years in sales and still have 3 1/2 month left in my fiscal year.

Hockey...miss it like crazy. Other sports, not as impactful on me. Hope the Raptors can defend their title at some point though. ;)

I was a hermit before all this so my social life has not changed at all. The only difference is seeing mom way less. We went and had a visit 10 days ago and that was the 1st time in months. Then came the wife's kidney stone issue and I am being told I would be a good nurse. Certainly in the good graces of the mother-in-law.

We have a golf trip booked for June 25th weekend and that is certainly up in the air. But I get it.

Oh, and Deadhead has received lots of likes from me during all this. I expect he has more from his non-hockey views than his hockey ones!

The real bummer this summer will be no Bachelor in Paradise which @Captain Dave Poulin can attest to.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Daily funny...

1589115693581.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Leaked data from the White House task force shows virus cases are spiking in clusters across the US, contradicting Trump's claims

If you follow the John Hopkins US map on a daily basis, you could see this coming, the less dense areas are starting to approach the coasts in terms of confirmed cases per 100,000 (and one suspects many areas have limited testing). The hot spots started as nursing homes, then shifted to food processing and other manufacturing where the owners took few steps to protect their workers. It'll keep spreading because many people in these areas thought they were immune to what was happening in big cities (oh, it's Chicago and Detroit, won't happen in Grand Rapids and Indianapolis - wrong). Just look at that restaurant in Denver, all it takes is one or two "infectors" and a hundred people will come down with COVID within a week and without contact tracing and testing it'll be thousands in two weeks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The funny thing is, other than wearing a mask in stores (I'm the designated shopper for two vulnerable people), my life has barely changed - I got laid off almost a decade ago and other than some consulting work, all I do is research and write - once you're over 60, age discrimination basically means forced retirement, after applying for over 500 jobs for which I was highly qualified, and getting a couple telephone interviews, I got the message. I had planned to work well into my 70s, I'm in great health and typing on a computer keyboard doesn't strain the back if you have a good chair.

Ironically, COVID may help me get work, now that telecommuting is becoming a norm for white collar work, I'm probably more attractive, no moving expenses, no benefits, I'm lower risk than hiring new people and far more qualified than most people two decades younger than me. So some of the same companies that would have been reluctant to hire me full-time might jump at hiring me as contract labor, and with Medicare I don't need that benefit package anymore. I plan to get back in the job market in June when things settle down.

Other than that, the routine is the same, help the wife, research, write, take the dog for long works, shop once a week to fill in what can't be delivered - and work out six days a week (alternate inclined sit ups/leg lifts, pushups, light weights, and high intensity interval work on the stationary bike). I've got book projects lined up like airplanes over O'Hara, and I'm trying to figure out how to become a freelance writer.

I think I'd better avoid CK, I'd probably become obsessive and get nothing done!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think we have to be as crazy as the Chinese.
I think most of the sterilization procedures are like Homeland Security, overdone to create a perception of safety.
So far, there is almost no evidence of transmission by touching surfaces, and regular hand washing can reduce that threat to near zero.
The primary means of transmission is breathing in droplets, and universal wearing of masks in any situation where you're within a few feet outdoors or with people in an enclosed space (indoors) should be sufficient to reduce R << 1.

So it's not rocket science, if you want to open the economy:

1) testing - tracing - isolation to contain the inevitable hot spots - so government should take the lead in increasing testing capacity and research into faster, more accurate tests, and helping states set up the capability to trace.
2) masks have to be widely available (government should subsidize b/c it's a public good) and USED. No shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service, no exceptions, including the GO.
3) workplaces have to be redesigned to limit exposure to other people for sustained periods, better ventilation and filtering so air is pulled out of tight spaces instead of recirculated, and so on.

Of course, the GO ignores all this and tweets that Democratic Governors who want to follow these rules are trying to sabotage his re-election prospects - that's all you need to know to recognize his contempt for human life other than his own. He's more concerned with economic statistics than the death statistics. Ironically, if he had taken real actions to deal with the crisis he'd probably get re-elected in a landslide.

Imagine if we had real leadership, who started preparing in February, developing contingencies in case what happened in Wuhan was repeated here, and instituted a "Moon Shot" program to expand testing and PPE production by mid-March when it was obvious there was a crisis. We'd be prepared to safely open the country by now. Instead, the Governors were told to get into bidding wars for PPE, and the Defense Production Act was only used to force food processing workers to return to work or lose unemployment benefits while shielding the owners from liability.

Instead, we got Jared. And if Fauci tells the truth today, look for him to be marginalized in the coming weeks.

China’s Coronavirus Back-to-Work Lessons: Masks and Vigilance

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->