All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XIV: Enjoy Every Sandwich

Which is greatest and best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
So are you basically the most valuable hockey commodity outside the NHL in Vegas? How many goalies can there be besides you, Fleury, and Subban?

We actually have a decent scene out here. We have three rinks, all with D, C, B, A leagues.

i play in two of the A Leagues.

We have 4, maybe 5, REALLY good goalies. The rest are your normal C/B guys

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hey guy that has me blocked.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/suicide-rates-by-state/
There’s been approx 48k suicides this year. It’s only going to go higher. That’s just suicides.

That's meaningless without context. And there haven't been 48K suicides in the US this year, that's the total for 2018.

Products - Data Briefs - Number 361 - March 2020

Though the highest rates are in Red States that tend to have the most liberal gun laws.
Hmmm, connection between suicides and guns, guess that's a strong argument for gun control?
The question is will there be ADDITIONAL suicides above the "norm".

Without COVID, around 50K would have committed suicide in 2020, so to even be comparable to the COVID death toll without a lockdown (the 80K with a lockdown so far would probably be 200-300K without one and rapidly climbing), the suicide rate would have to double or triple.

So far there is no evidence of an actual rise in the suicide rate.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
How much higher is that than usual?
I’m not sure. I wasn’t debating that. Just saying that other things are killing Americans.
I have heard that suicides are getting a massive bump in numbers but nothing I can quantify.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
That's meaningless without context. And there haven't been 48K suicides in the US this year, that's the total for 2018.

Products - Data Briefs - Number 361 - March 2020

Though the highest rates are in Red States that tend to have the most liberal gun laws.
Hmmm, connection between suicides and guns, guess that's a strong argument for gun control?
The question is will there be ADDITIONAL suicides above the "norm".

Without COVID, around 50K would have committed suicide in 2020, so to even be comparable to the COVID death toll without a lockdown (the 80K with a lockdown so far would probably be 200-300K without one and rapidly climbing), the suicide rate would have to double or triple.

So far there is no evidence of an actual rise in the suicide rate.
BC583693-445B-4A49-8559-07BBEEF579E7.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’m not sure. I wasn’t debating that. Just saying that other things are killing Americans.
I have heard that suicides are getting a massive bump in numbers but nothing I can quantify.

There is a rise in calls to mental health and suicide call centers, but a lot of that is anxiety over COVID.
But the most likely person to kill themselves is a white male in a Red State who owns a gun (seriously). And they don't make those kind of calls.

There are no stats that I can find on suicides in 2020, these numbers are often a year behind, so we may not know until 2021 unless there's a dramatic spike.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
That's the problem. Does the number of lives lost to suicides outweigh the number that would be lost to the virus?

I have no doubt there's going to be an increase in suicides but IMO opening up too early will cost more lives.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He’s basically trying to get in the mud with Trump with that comment. It’s all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Like it doesn’t change what’s currently going on.

It's a shot at the "Blame the foreign non-white Chinese" coming from the nationalist front, and I don't know if it's terribly productive for that to be coming from a governor. It's a bit of smartassery that should be made, but from someone else.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For anyone interested in the next grim milestones, 104,813 deaths is the point where we surpass KIA in the European Theater of WWII.

Or about 92k will surpass Vietnam and Korea combined.

Maybe I'll try putting together a fun positive thing to do in the next thread to balance out...that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->