Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm also of the opinion that Krueger would make much more sense in a management position rather than coach. Don't think that will ever happen though as Chevy is not going anywhere. The only scenario I can think of that could work is the Jets creating a new upper management title of President. Promoting Chevy to that role and having Krueger work under him as GM

I would do the opposite. Krueger at the top of the food chain. He gets to decide if Chevy stays or goes.

Reactions: blues10

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Ken Wiebe said today that it's believed Maurice has 2 more years left on his contract.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We out shot and out chanced Vegas in every measurable way. The difference in that series was goaltending plain and simple. Fleury stopped everything we threw at him and every time we made a mistake Hellbuyck couldn't stop the resulting transition.

As a coach when you are visibily playing better than the other team and being outgoalied you don't change anything. You just hope the goalies horseshoe falls out of his ass at the other end. It was no different in the Knights-Caps series. The Caps dominated play the difference was the horse shoe fell out of Fleury's ass. After that first game Fleury posted a .957 save percentage against us while facing 161 shots. Hellebuyck posted a .907 while facing 118 shots.

Our perimeter game made life on Fleury easy. We had fewer quality shots on net than Vegas. There is no better way to boost a goal tenders save % than to throw a bunch of lower quality perimeter shots at them. The above narrative that you state has been thoroughly debunked and proven to be superficial and simply factually wrong time and time again.

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Flaherty avoided all criticism this year, but we need to talk about Huddy. Jets defense was terrible this year and not stellar during his tenure.

It truly boggles the mind trying to figure out how Flaherty and Huddy have kept their jobs thru 2 head coaches... when it obvious to anyone that goaltending and defense have more or less been the biggest weaknesses for this franchise since it started.

Huddy almost makes sense... my guess is ownership is blinded by his Stanley Cup rings , forgetting that Huddy had very little to do with actually getting them. A blind monkey playing defense on those Oilers teams would have gotten a ring.

Flaherty... who knows what this organization sees in him. More so that the best year Helly had was when he went and got goaltending direction from someone else.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It truly boggles the mind trying to figure out how Flaherty and Huddy have kept their jobs thru 2 head coaches... when it obvious to anyone that goaltending and defense have more or less been the biggest weaknesses for this franchise since it started.

Huddy almost makes sense... my guess is ownership is blinded by his Stanley Cup rings , forgetting that Huddy had very little to do with actually getting them. A blind monkey playing defense on those Oilers teams would have gotten a ring.

Flaherty... who knows what this organization sees in him. More so that the best year Helly had was when he went and got goaltending direction from someone else.

I believe Flaherty has certain connections. Nothing I can verify but some others have mentioned it before. I’d imagine Huddy isn’t much different.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I believe Flaherty has certain connections. Nothing I can verify but some others have mentioned it before. I’d imagine Huddy isn’t much different.

Flaherty has connections to the org from his days as a player on the Moose. No real shock that he was brought in based on his history. As much as I'm not the biggest fan our goaltending the last few years hasn't been at all a problem. While all our goalies go to the same consultant in the summer, from what I recall Wade attended with them to learn how to impliment those teachings. So at least he's trying to grow as a professional and our team goaltending has been a strength the last few years. Not sure he needs to be replaced if the results continue.

Huddy on the other hand can be replaced imo.

Reactions: Duke749

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Flaherty has connections to the org from his days as a player on the Moose. No real shock that he was brought in based on his history. As much as I'm not the biggest fan our goaltending the last few years hasn't been at all a problem. While all our goalies go to the same consultant in the summer, from what I recall Wade attended with them to learn how to impliment those teachings. So at least he's trying to grow as a professional and our team goaltending has been a strength the last few years. Not sure he needs to be replaced if the results continue.

Huddy on the other hand can be replaced imo.

Yeh we may have turned a corner when it comes to goaltending.

Defense is still another issue. We’ve seen a lot of the same issues since the team moved.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Let's just say Maurice gets fired and we get a new coach , what happens if we get worse with this new brilliant minded coach ? What if our players aren't as good as everyone thinks ? I like Maurice and think he is a smart guy , the Schief and Wheeler thing has to come to stop though . If we struggle out of the gate next season and he still has Schief and Wheeler attached at the hip then i would consider a coaching change .

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Flaherty avoided all criticism this year, but we need to talk about Huddy. Jets defense was terrible this year and not stellar during his tenure.
Huddy is in charge of the d-men but not the overall defensive structure. That comes from Maurice.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Let's just say Maurice gets fired and we get a new coach , what happens if we get worse with this new brilliant minded coach ? What if our players aren't as good as everyone thinks ? I like Maurice and think he is a smart guy , the Schief and Wheeler thing has to come to stop though . If we struggle out of the gate next season and he still has Schief and Wheeler attached at the hip then i would consider a coaching change .
Why did the media not once this season ask Maurice why he never splits those two up? Are they scared? They shouldn't be as it is a legit question.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Ugh, another reason added the many why this coaching staff sucks.

upload_2019-4-24_16-29-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-24_16-28-45.png
    upload_2019-4-24_16-28-45.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 1

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Anybody that thinks Maurice is going to be fired should watch Chevy's interview...for better or worse, Maurice is not being fired and if you think Chevy is being fired, you should open your eyes AND your ears.

Reactions: Jets 31

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think firing Mo is the answer, he's a good coach despite what the arm chair experts around here think. You want to see a shake up, you have to make some trades.

I said in another thread that most will attribute the Islanders turnaround to adding Barry Trotz but I think moving Tavares out and adding Filppula, Toews, Komarov, Martin, Kuhnhackl and Lehner had a far greater effect.

This roster needs a shakeup. We have far to much offensive power on it and not enough ice time to go around. We also have some pretty weak guys on defence. We need to make a big shakeup trade.

There's a good chance Trouba forces our hand into something similar you are describing.

If Chevy can make lemonade out of a lemon it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

If we can keep CLT, Myers and Chiarot at reasonable AAV and term, plus add a pick and gain cap space... that could be a greater gain than the downgrade from Trouba to Myers.

That's my opinion though I know many aren't fans of Big Myers and his Big Corsi :laugh:

As for Maurice, he will be on thin ice if things dont go well early on. He will get a token extension, but if the team looks bubble or worse, Chevy and Chipman wont wait too long.

If Maurice can do everything in his power to get better as a coach, that's all he can do. The results will speak for themselves.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016

It would be extremely difficult to hire a worse coach than Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->