Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Remember this is True North running the show.
The short list to replace Maurice is likely:

Former Moose and Current Vancouver Assistant - Nolan Baumgartner
Former Moose and Current Hershey Bears VP of Hockey Ops - Bryan Helmer
Former Moose and UBC Goalie Coach - Alex Auld
Former Moose and NCAA Div. III Assistant - Lee Goren
Former Moose and Current Utica Comets Assistant - Jason King
Former Moose and Current Winnipeg Blues Assistant - Josh Green

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone who thinks that Chevy would tie the can to Maurice, right now.....is dreaming in technicolor
Agreed, there is 0% chance Maurice is fired this offseason. Chevy and TNSE aren't going to let a guy give a 33 minute state of the union interview on locker clean out day and then can him. It will be interesting though to see how different the make up of the team he has to coach will be come September.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Besides....after listing to Maurice, Chevy and the SOTU........well, this season now feels like some sort of moral victory

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
The following is not directed at anyone in particular and is kind of a little scatter brained, just thoughts rattling around in my brain.

3 out of 5 years making the playoffs with a young developing team, battling for 1st in the Central the last 2 years, Western Conference finals last year, last 2 years finishing with 99 points and 114 points.

You may not agree with TOI distribution, he ran 55 and 26 too hard on the PK and some 5v5 situations before Christmas in my opinion, but hopefully lesson learned.

Also everyone and their dog has an opinion when it comes to line combinations, you can't satisfy everyone of those opinions.

Coaches systems work (we have all seen them executed for most of last year, and games against Nashville and Vegas this year to name a few) when the team puts the effort in on the ice, the players are the ones on the ice not the coach. Players need to play for the guys beside them on the ice and not the individual efforts we saw at times this year.

If you want to blame PM for not getting his group motivated to play, how much time do you think he or any head coach actually spends in the room. He won't be in there on practice days, game day he will be in there for a couple minutes before the game, intermissions, and a couple minutes after the game. The motivation needs to come from leadership group in the room.

Fix the room before you fire the coach.
Has it though? Most of these same criticisms of Maurice have been around for years and he hasn't shown a willingness or a desire to adapt.

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015
Wonder if Laviolette would be available with Nashville out in the first round as well.

Don't think it will matter anyways, Maurice will start the season and Laviolette would be picked up before the Jets (if they even fire him) anyways.

So you want to replace one under performing coach with another under performing coach?

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015
The following is not directed at anyone in particular and is kind of a little scatter brained, just thoughts rattling around in my brain.

3 out of 5 years making the playoffs with a young developing team, battling for 1st in the Central the last 2 years, Western Conference finals last year, last 2 years finishing with 99 points and 114 points.

You may not agree with TOI distribution, he ran 55 and 26 too hard on the PK and some 5v5 situations before Christmas in my opinion, but hopefully lesson learned.

Also everyone and their dog has an opinion when it comes to line combinations, you can't satisfy everyone of those opinions.

Coaches systems work (we have all seen them executed for most of last year, and games against Nashville and Vegas this year to name a few) when the team puts the effort in on the ice, the players are the ones on the ice not the coach. Players need to play for the guys beside them on the ice and not the individual efforts we saw at times this year.

If you want to blame PM for not getting his group motivated to play, how much time do you think he or any head coach actually spends in the room. He won't be in there on practice days, game day he will be in there for a couple minutes before the game, intermissions, and a couple minutes after the game. The motivation needs to come from leadership group in the room.

Fix the room before you fire the coach.

I'm always curious as to what the average fan thinks a coach does? And how much influence they have on an outcome.

Last year he coaches the second best regular season team in the league and makes it to the top 4 in the playoffs annnnnnnnddddddd he gets no credit, a lot of people think the team did it in spite of his coaching. This year, the team hits 99 points and fails to show up in the 3rd and he takes all the blame, nope, the players aren't to blame here, they were just following orders.

I guess people are just looking for a single point of failure and since they spend $200 on a jersey with Maurice on it or $10 bucks on beer to see him play, he's the easy way out.

Reactions: Jets 31

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
There you go. The supposed best coach in the world couldn't get his team (the Leafs) past the first round for the 3rd year in a row. Is our coach really that bad? At least Maurice got the Jets to the 3rd round last year.

:jets

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There you go. The supposed best coach in the world couldn't get his team (the Leafs) past the first round for the 3rd year in a row. Is our coach really that bad? At least Maurice got the Jets to the 3rd round last year.

Just look at all these great , fantastic coaches Chevy has to pick from because they all have to be getting fired , Toronto's , Nashville's , Tampa's ,Vegas's , Calgary's , the list is endless . ;)

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just look at all these great , fantastic coaches Chevy has to pick from because they all have to be getting fired , Toronto's , Nashville's , Tampa's ,Vegas's , Calgary's , the list is endless . ;)

The only 2 coaches I can see getting fired would be Babcock, or Laviolette from Nashville. If I had to bet though, I'd say none of them get fired, as they are all pretty good coaches.

Let's face it --it's not easy to win in the NHL --all the top seeded teams were knocked out in the 1st round.

This is not the "pre cap" era, where big market franchise teams, could literally buy themselves a a "powerhouse" of a team.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

The only 2 coaches I can see getting fired would be Babcock, or Laviolette from Nashville. If I had to bet though, I'd say none of them get fired, as they are all pretty good coaches.

Let's face it --it's not easy to win in the NHL --all the top seeded teams were knocked out in the 1st round.

This is not the "pre cap" era, where big market franchise teams, could literally buy themselves a a "powerhouse" of a team.
Ya i was being sarcastic , i wouldn't be surprised if none of them get fired . How do teams that have such good regular season success lose in the first round ? Must be coaching , couldn't be the players not performing .:naughty:

Reactions: DuckyChuck and GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

I dont think you need the best coach.

You just need the right coach for the team strength and make up.

Right now Maurice only believe in 1 line where Wheeler is playing.
It doesnt help that Wheeler all talk about is Maurice.

Also
I dont think most people here believe Maurice will get fired due to Chevy and Captain having his back.

But many sure hope so.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think firing Mo is the answer, he's a good coach despite what the arm chair experts around here think. You want to see a shake up, you have to make some trades.

I said in another thread that most will attribute the Islanders turnaround to adding Barry Trotz but I think moving Tavares out and adding Filppula, Toews, Komarov, Martin, Kuhnhackl and Lehner had a far greater effect.

This roster needs a shakeup. We have far to much offensive power on it and not enough ice time to go around. We also have some pretty weak guys on defence. We need to make a big shakeup trade.

Reactions: GNP

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Could there be a change among the assistants?

Maurice brushed aside the suggestion when he met with the media on Monday. “Here’s what I’m going to do for you, if all of the coaches that lose that have this meeting after the first round get fired, I’ll resign and take my (coaching) staff with me,” said Maurice. “How about that? So, that’s how I feel about it.”

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Could there be a change among the assistants?

Maurice brushed aside the suggestion when he met with the media on Monday. “Here’s what I’m going to do for you, if all of the coaches that lose that have this meeting after the first round get fired, I’ll resign and take my (coaching) staff with me,” said Maurice. “How about that? So, that’s how I feel about it.”
So, that's a "no" then.

Reactions: DashingDane and GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You know what? Maurice has actually got LESS out of this team in 2 of the last 3 seasons. The team underperformed in 2016-17 - and coach Howbowdah blamed it on youth. They were great last year...all hail the HypnoMaurice. Then they underperformed again this year...and once again it's the maturity level on the team that's blamed.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You know what? Maurice has actually got LESS out of this team in 2 of the last 3 seasons. The team underperformed in 2016-17 - and coach Howbowdah blamed it on youth. They were great last year...all hail the HypnoMaurice. Then they underperformed again this year...and once again it's the maturity level on the team that's blamed.

It's a copp-out for sure but he'd rather blame the inexperienced youth then the veterans for not pulling their weight.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Last year's post season performance was not as great as people want to make it out to be. We were heavily favored to beat Vegas, and got swept 4 straight after winning game 1. Gallant adjusted. Maurice had no answer and decided to keep playing our zone time perimeter game until we were on the verge of elimination where he decides to shake things up by putting in two guys into the lineup that hadn't played in weeks/months.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Last year's post season performance was not as great as people want to make it out to be. We were heavily favored to beat Vegas, and got swept 4 straight after winning game 1. Gallant adjusted. Maurice had no answer and decided to keep playing our zone time perimeter game until we were on the verge of elimination where he decides to shake things up by putting in two guys into the lineup that hadn't played in weeks/months.

We out shot and out chanced Vegas in every measurable way. The difference in that series was goaltending plain and simple. Fleury stopped everything we threw at him and every time we made a mistake Hellbuyck couldn't stop the resulting transition.

As a coach when you are visibily playing better than the other team and being outgoalied you don't change anything. You just hope the goalies horseshoe falls out of his ass at the other end. It was no different in the Knights-Caps series. The Caps dominated play the difference was the horse shoe fell out of Fleury's ass. After that first game Fleury posted a .957 save percentage against us while facing 161 shots. Hellebuyck posted a .907 while facing 118 shots.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Or himself for the decisions he made.

I don't think he made any bad decision outside of not splitting up Scheif and Wheeler. But I hardly think that is the difference between the players on the team actually doing what he wants them to do and not. We made a run last year by keeping shots to the outside and holding down leads. This year the players were not executing the same game plan they did last year. Scheif and Wheeler especially. I think a player shakeup is more in order.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I actually like Maurice. It's the seemingly odd relationship with Wheeler (and to a lesser extent Scheif) that disturbs me.

He needs to think from a team point of view and do what's best for the team results over anyone's feelings, while not being an ass about it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As for Krueger, I really like him as Chevy’s boss as I had discussed at length many years ago.

I've also been pushing this for some time. My fantasy (well one that I can post here, anyway) is to be on an elevator with Chipman when a power outage hits. I would turn to him and say, "Well Mark, since it looks like we're going to be here for a while..." :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad