All-Purpose Advanced Stats, Player Usage, etc. Thread

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
So the last project in the Analyzing the NHL Organization class I'm taking this summer is to look at NHL rosters using some advanced metrics. I've been looking through the effect on individual Corsi based on how much a team leads or trails. Basically, when a team is in the lead Corsi falls significantly and when they are trailing it goes up. For example Risto's Corsi leading 5v5 is 41.0 and when trailing it is 48.2; Cam Fowler's are 42.6 and 52.6; Jonas Brodin 38.5 and 50.2; PK Subban 48.3 and 58.8. There's a stat to track it called SAwSH (score adjusted weighted shots) or SAC (score adjusted corsi). I was wondering if anyone knows of a cite that specifically tracks those stats or do I need to do the calculations myself?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
So the last project in the Analyzing the NHL Organization class I'm taking this summer is to look at NHL rosters using some advanced metrics. I've been looking through the effect on individual Corsi based on how much a team leads or trails. Basically, when a team is in the lead Corsi falls significantly and when they are trailing it goes up. For example Risto's Corsi leading 5v5 is 41.0 and when trailing it is 48.2; Cam Fowler's are 42.6 and 52.6; Jonas Brodin 38.5 and 50.2; PK Subban 48.3 and 58.8. There's a stat to track it called SAwSH (score adjusted weighted shots) or SAC (score adjusted corsi). I was wondering if anyone knows of a cite that specifically tracks those stats or do I need to do the calculations myself?

http://www.corsica.hockey/skaters/

This is the best I could find, I don't know if you can use it though. If you do to the adjustments tab you can adjust by score and venue but not just score. Venue refers to whether the game is home or away, not a specific arena.

eperry

Jun 27, 2016

Micah McCurdy's score-adjustment method is detailed here: http://hockeyviz.com/txt/shiftsArticle/senstats.html

http://www.corsica.hockey/skaters/

This is the best I could find, I don't know if you can use it though. If you do to the adjustments tab you can adjust by score and venue but not just score. Venue refers to whether the game is home or away, not a specific arena.

I use McCurdy's method on the site. If you download the raw Play-By-Play files you'll find the weighted value of all shot events. "weight2" columns are McCurdy-adjusted (score and venue) and "weight1" are additionally adjusted for zone starts. The prefixes indicate which shot class the weight corresponds to, where c = Corsi, f = Fenwick, etc.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Giving this a bump. Was just perusing Corsica, and some of the highlights (score, venue, zone adjusted):

-Over 50% in CF% (50.48%), which is good for 12th in the league
-11th in league in Scoring Chances For(SCF)/60
-7th in league in Scoring Chances Against(SCA)/60
-7th in league in Relative (to opponent) SCF% (54.55%)

Encouraging numbers for sure, especially without Jack and Kane.

On the flip side, Nic Deslauriers has, by far, the worst CF% in the NHL at 30.68% (min. 50 ES minutes). The next closest skater is Eric Fehr at 36.31%, nearly six full percentage points ahead of Des. There is truly no reason for Des to ever appear in a Sabres jersey again, especially what some of the young guys have shown. Also, Gorges is about where you'd expect him as the 4th worst CF% defenseman in the league (min. 100 minutes).

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/04/04/identifying-player-types-with-clustering/

Ryan Stimson made a new toy based on his passing project, looking into how different types of players contribute to offense and what combinations of these types are the most effective.

Most of the data is from last season but there is some from this year as well. Here's how Sabres players stack up:
fbff42b1e304a6756fa0aa321be7762b.png

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Ryan Stimson made a new toy based on his passing project, looking into how different types of players contribute to offense and what combinations of these types are the most effective.

Most of the data is from last season but there is some from this year as well. Here's how Sabres players stack up:

No big surprises there... although, i wonder why Kane didn't fall in the volume shooter bucket.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
A couple more snapshots

one of these players is being paid 4.6M
ce8e058f5cb45f0f47ba5269534d5040.png

offensively, FLG is more like 0LG
8d8289127d4f6e6e9e44a709fe960f3f.png

someone tell ROR to shoot more
88a86c09a0b183b7445cfb13660a64ba.png

edit:
one more straight from the article; Chris Tanev, ladies and gentlemen
tanev_hjalmarsson1.png

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
A couple more snapshots

one of these players is being paid 4.6M
ce8e058f5cb45f0f47ba5269534d5040.png

offensively, FLG is more like 0LG
8d8289127d4f6e6e9e44a709fe960f3f.png

someone tell ROR to shoot more
88a86c09a0b183b7445cfb13660a64ba.png

edit:
one more straight from the article; Chris Tanev, ladies and gentlemen
tanev_hjalmarsson1.png

Thanks for sharing.

Remember when the narrative was "Foligno is the driver of the FLG line".... glad that died an appropriate death.

And the impact of Tanev....
especially when compared to Ristolainen....:cry:

It's nice to see something that represents the influence/impact guys like Reinhart and Larsson have.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

The problem with this data seems to be this:

All data is from 5v5 situations from the 2015 – 2016 and current season

And the sample size for example for Matthews is only about 250 minutes - out of his all almost 1200.

This is pretty interesting tool (assuming the data is collected correctly), but with the sample size being so random with a pretty wide time frame, it is still pretty limited for an actual use.

Thanks for sharing.

Remember when the narrative was "Foligno is the driver of the FLG line".... glad that died an appropriate death.

Not surprised that you bursted out here with your agendas first... But considering that the time frame of "Foligno driving the line" was the start of the passing season, and that Foligno has been more or less worse outside of that time frame, that data proves pretty much nothing (because the data is collected from random games (we have no idea which ones) during 2015-2017). That data might prove something, if you could isolate the whole sample from that given timeframe. But you can't.

If something, this seems to be another great display of your lack of competency regarding statistics.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not surprised that you bursted out here with your agendas first... But considering that the time frame of "Foligno driving the line" was the start of the passing season, and that Foligno has been more or less worse outside of that time frame, that data proves pretty much nothing (because the data is collected from random games (we have no idea which ones) during 2015-2017). That data might prove something, if you could isolate the whole sample from that given timeframe. But you can't.

If something, this seems to be another great display of your lack of competency regarding statistics.

Your positions display your lack of competency regarding hockey.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Just out of curiosity, where is everyone going for individual player stat breakdowns now that puckalytics has gone dark? I can't seem to find WOWY breakdowns anywhere else...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Eichel vs Mathews.
These charts you guys are all showing, I tried to get one to work and it wasn't happening. Boston fans seem to think Pasternak is on the level of Eichel. I am curious to see Eichel vs Pasternak, can someone do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad