Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
thanks for that, enjoyed the read

nice stat from the above article

"As NHL.com’s Corey Masisak noted, he needs eight more to join Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mike Bossy and Marcel Dionne as the only players in NHL history with seven 45-goal seasons."

...in other words, the only player who didn't play in the insanely high scoring 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Coming from an irrational, uncompromising, devoted long-time Pens fan: Ovie is the best player in the league right now and, as they say, it ain't even close.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
PUJwYbh.gif

How embarrassing is that for Kunitz?
Tries to play the tough guy role, Ovie laughs at him as he cross-checks him trying to hurt him, then Ovie rams him into the boards on a legal check, dumping him on his backside.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Really, that gif does a fantastic job of describing the Pens as we saw them last night. A bunch of wanna be tough guys who can't back it up.

Last edited:

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Coming from an irrational, uncompromising, devoted long-time Pens fan: Ovie is the best player in the league right now and, as they say, it ain't even close.

:laugh:

I think Malkin still isn't 100% since returning from injury. At the same time, I respect Sid's talent far too much to ever fully count him out.

As an Ovie fan, I'm just glad to see him finally have an experienced NHL coach for a change and it seems to be paying off dividends for him and the Caps.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I am really, really impressed with how Ovechkin has bought in and adjusted his game this season.

Credit to Trotz and Ovie (and some credit to Holtby too, since part of Ovie's problem last year was Holtby couldn't stop a puck when he was on the ice for whatever reason).

He looks as offensively dangerous and energized as he ever has, and now he's actually contributing somewhat to a 200 ft game. He's never going to be a Selke candidate, but who cares, that's not his job. As long as he's just decent at contributing all over the ice, that's all they need.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Hillen took the first swipe.

Hillen used the standard two hands on the stick bad attitude shove that happens 50 times a game. Downie threw a punch. Hillen embellished it for sure but in a game like that, you can't force the refs to make the easy call. Same stupid that Brouwer did when he pushed MAF.

I am really, really impressed with how Ovechkin has bought in and adjusted his game this season.

Credit to Trotz and Ovie (and some credit to Holtby too, since part of Ovie's problem last year was Holtby couldn't stop a puck when he was on the ice for whatever reason).

He looks as offensively dangerous and energized as he ever has, and now he's actually contributing somewhat to a 200 ft game. He's never going to be a Selke candidate, but who cares, that's not his job. As long as he's just decent at contributing all over the ice, that's all they need.

Ovy has always bought into what ever his coaches has asked of him. Remember, Oates last year asked him to move to the right side and stop hitting. Trotz has turned him loose offensively but also demanded AND has taught him more responsibility in all zones.

This Ovechkin is far more entertaining and a far bigger threat than he has ever been. He may not get 65 again but who cares.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
The bald clown on tsn studs and duds copied my ovi/trotz to yzermam/bowman comparison

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Really, that gif does a fantastic job of describing the Pens as we saw them last night. A bunch of wanna be tough guys who can't back it up.

Then Kunitz smoked Ward and was penalized for a noise violation. Not understanding your point.

David Krejci*

Not an Ovechkin fan, but Pittsburgh is just next level scum. lol at that whole incident. Ovechkin just smiles and destroys Kunitz. Loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Which is why I'm astonished so many people hate him. In a game like hockey, this guy should be everyone's dream player. On top of scoring oodles of goals, exciting ones, he hits harder, and more often than pretty much anyone in the game.

It's funny to me the hate he gets from Canadian media, because he plays like their idea of an ideal Candian, except he's Russian, so they take that as an insult and try to drag him down...

KnoccOut

Dec 23, 2008
Toronto
It's funny to me the hate he gets from Canadian media, because he plays like their idea of an ideal Candian, except he's Russian, so they take that as an insult and try to drag him down...

Its just the media though ... everyone around here loves him though.. a lot of kids love Crosby but anyone else prefers Ovechkin thats what ive come across.. its mainly because of his tough play..

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

He's a giant ****** bag... that's why.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think my favorite thing about Ovechkin is how ruthless he is, every night it seems he knows who he's playing against. Usually the first shift of the game he'll lay them out whether that's Doughty or Letang or whoever he knows who he's going to be matched against and usually will let them know early there about to have a ****** night.

Or even whenever anyone gets any kind of hit on him (usually a fail) you know later in the game Ovechkins going to knock that player on his ass. His physicality isn't really matched around the league by any other star players

Agreed. Ovechkin is exactly the kind of guy old time Canadian hockey guys rave about. Big, fast, strong, scores goals, plays physical, is not afraid to hit the biggest stars in the game, will not back down when challenged and is willing to push the limit of rules when trying to win.

I am serious when I say this, some of the fans would be in awe of Ovechkin had he been born in Canada. I know most people understand that nationality is not up to you and don't hold it against anyone. But not all understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad