All Ovechkin talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
If Ovechkin keeps improving defensively, skys the limit.

He's one of the better defensive forwards on the team right now. Back checking is great, consistently cutting off passing lanes and creating turnovers. Kudos to him.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
PUJwYbh.gif

Impressive acceleration

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
It is kinda funny seeing OV perceived in a sort of "pest" role by opposing teams. The best part about it is he is perfectly willing to keep any hitting within the confines of the game. Say what you want about the "slash" on Letang, even biased eyes would say that it is at worst a 2:00 penalty for slashing. He's hurting teams the right way, through hard-nosed play. The only reason this all blew up in the first place was the result of a play that wouldn't get talked about at all if it wasn't OV (or a few other players league wide with the same level of scrutiny).

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Well it looks ridiculous now because Ovechkin is having a better season than last year. Stamkos was tearing it up before he broke his leg last year and looked as good as he ever has. Many people thought Stamkos would pick up where he left off.

Instead, Ovechkin has improved his play this year and Stamkos has regressed a little. At the start of the season however, I think a lot of people thought Stamkos would have a better year, which I don't think was ridiculous. I agree though, claiming Stamkos is better than Ovechkin right now is clearly wrong.

IMO this is just another case of people under appreciating MSL. His play was a big factor in how Stamkos was able to do what he did.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Just squared off VS leagues arguably bests Getz and Crosby's teams, on the road, in a back to back situation in Anaheim...outplayed them, outhit them, managed to get under opponents skin... got W's, and got out of there with 6 points (3+3), not too bad for a washed up OV :)

Thank you BT, this team looks deferent... lets just see...

Thing is, Ovie isn't really an agitator on purpose. He's just big, freakishly strong, and more aggressive on the puck than most guys. It catches them off guard and they don't like the audacity he has to even try some of this stuff. Nobody likes getting schooled.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Can't see how you can dislike this guy. We always bemoan about how professional athletes are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game, Ovechkin seems like one of the only guys in the league who has figured this out, dude is just having a blast playing hockey.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kunitz puts hit forearm behind Kuznetsov's head and faceplants him into the glass. No talk about that. Downie sucker punches Hillen(I mean Hillen?) at the end of the game and about knocks him out. Holmqvist puts his stick up into Holtby's throat and tries to pull his head off on the first shift of the game or so.

Lets not talk about the Penguins as if they were being taken advantage of in that game.

edit: Easy to dislike him. He hits like a freaking Freightliner and targets the good players. He scores and celebrates like he knows you are hating it and you are and he does. He's easy to hate....and he loves it at least to an extent.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
It is kinda funny seeing OV perceived in a sort of "pest" role by opposing teams. The best part about it is he is perfectly willing to keep any hitting within the confines of the game. Say what you want about the "slash" on Letang, even biased eyes would say that it is at worst a 2:00 penalty for slashing. He's hurting teams the right way, through hard-nosed play. The only reason this all blew up in the first place was the result of a play that wouldn't get talked about at all if it wasn't OV (or a few other players league wide with the same level of scrutiny).

You must not have been around here last night. Or ever really

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
I recall this:

http://www.powerscouthockey.com/who-is-the-nhl-fastest-skater-tracking-data-finally-provides-the-answers/

He's not as fast and quick as he used to be (aging does that for sure!) but still...

Really surprised Mackinnon's acceleration is that low down, thought he would be at the top with Ovi and Karlsson in that catagory, but that's impressive.

I must of been one of the only non-caps fans that still was on Ovi's side that he still could be an elite player after the last few years, and turns out I was right. Love the energy he single handedly brings to a game.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I think a lot of people thinking this is a penalty havent actually read and know the NHL rulebook. If I recall, the refs actually got together and discussed the play, I'm thinking they know the rules and decided it was not a penalty based on the bold text taken directly from the NHL rulebook:

61.1 Slashing
- Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an
opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick
contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized
as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an
opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s
hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play
the puck
, shall be penalized as slashing.

It was clearly an attempt to play the puck and I think they all saw that on the ice. Had Letang not tripped trying to get up and gone into the boards, or if it was Crosby doing this to Ovi, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I think my favorite thing about Ovechkin is how ruthless he is, every night it seems he knows who he's playing against. Usually the first shift of the game he'll lay them out whether that's Doughty or Letang or whoever he knows who he's going to be matched against and usually will let them know early there about to have a ****** night.

Or even whenever anyone gets any kind of hit on him (usually a fail) you know later in the game Ovechkins going to knock that player on his ass. His physicality isn't really matched around the league by any other star players

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Kunitz puts hit forearm behind Kuznetsov's head and faceplants him into the glass. No talk about that. Downie sucker punches Hillen(I mean Hillen?) at the end of the game and about knocks him out. Holmqvist puts his stick up into Holtby's throat and tries to pull his head off on the first shift of the game or so.

Lets not talk about the Penguins as if they were being taken advantage of in that game.

edit: Easy to dislike him. He hits like a freaking Freightliner and targets the good players. He scores and celebrates like he knows you are hating it and you are and he does. He's easy to hate....and he loves it at least to an extent.

Hillen took the first swipe.

HOLDITHERE*

I think my favorite thing about Ovechkin is how ruthless he is, every night it seems he knows who he's playing against. Usually the first shift of the game he'll lay them out whether that's Doughty or Letang or whoever he knows who he's going to be matched against and usually will let them know early there about to have a ****** night.

Or even whenever anyone gets any kind of hit on him (usually a fail) you know later in the game Ovechkins going to knock that player on his ass. His physicality isn't really matched around the league by any other star players

Which is why I'm astonished so many people hate him. In a game like hockey, this guy should be everyone's dream player. On top of scoring oodles of goals, exciting ones, he hits harder, and more often than pretty much anyone in the game.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad