All Ovechkin Talk (Part II): 50 Goals for #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
All Ovechkin talk part II. "quietly roaring, again"

Last thread reached 1000 posts, let's continue on this.

PUJwYbh.gif

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
This season the play is around him, earlier seasons he was around the play. Now he scores goals AND plays hockey. Can't ask for more.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Best player in the league

-Score goals from everywhere
-Insane playmaking ability
-Hits HARD
-Selke calibur defense
-Leads his team like a true captain

The only thing Crosby has over him is secondary assists

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
-Hits HARD
-Selke calibur defense

Good to see A0 getting the respect he deserves.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I know everyone is wrong time to time.

But this video of Cherry talking about how Ovechkin will have to cool down (all the while praising how smart Crosby is) in order to stay effective.

I know Cherry is a laughing stock of Canada and you guys just like him due to entertainment value. But this is just so absurdly wrong and awkward.

That video was update 6 years a go.

Gary Bets Man

"All bets are off."
Feb 4, 2015

-Hits HARD
-Selke calibur defense

Dont 100% agree, and I do think Crosby has better vision and hockey IQ, but Ovie is the ideal player for fans to watch.

Hits like a wrecking ball and two of the softest hands in the sport. It's like he was born solely to play hockey.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
The biggest difference I see on the ice is Ovechkin's intensity level.

Yes, playing in a properly-coached system works, but it's like Trotz actually gave him the freedom to play like he used to: in-your-face, hitting everything, shooting all over the place etc.

Also, for all the Sid/AO comparison, I think it'd be very interesting to hear guys like Orpik and Niskanen compare the two.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
The biggest difference I see on the ice is Ovechkin's intensity level.

Yes, playing in a properly-coached system works, but it's like Trotz actually gave him the freedom to play like he used to: in-your-face, hitting everything, shooting all over the place etc.

Also, for all the Sid/AO comparison, I think it'd be very interesting to hear guys like Orpik and Niskanen compare the two.

Right now, there is no comparison. However, Orpik's take would be interesting, especially since he played with Sid when he (Sid) was firing on all cylinders, and 8 wasn't--so he could compare their peaks.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
I don't think anyone would argue that Ovechkin is better than Crosby right now, and maybe is the best player in the league. He played very well against the Pens, either he or Letang were the best player on the rink.

The biggest difference I see from Ovechkin setting him apart from Sid right now is, oddly enough, work ethic and drive to win. The 'lazy Russian' is putting in more hard work and it is certainly paying its dividends.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I don't think anyone would argue that Ovechkin is better than Crosby right now, and maybe is the best player in the league. He played very well against the Pens, either he or Letang were the best player on the rink.

The biggest difference I see from Ovechkin setting him apart from Sid right now is, oddly enough, work ethic and drive to win. The 'lazy Russian' is putting in more hard work and it is certainly paying its dividends.

Yeah, I'm getting a little fed up with our lazy Canadian.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Ovie always did what coaches asked him to do, it is not his fault that Capitals went through charade of rookie coaches who didn't understand that good structure and defense wins hockey games

I don't think Ovie was "lazy" or hard to coach, this is just labels invented by Canadian media to blame Ovie for mistakes of his rookie coaches, I am glad that under real experienced coach Ovie now proves all his haters wrong

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Right now, there is no comparison. However, Orpik's take would be interesting, especially since he played with Sid when he (Sid) was firing on all cylinders, and 8 wasn't--so he could compare their peaks.

I wasn't exactly talking about how good they're playing at the time.

I'd be more interested to hear in how someone on the inside perceives them as leaders and colleagues and human beings, rather than just machines for goals and points.

Also, while they're both great, they're very different players, I'd be interested to hear Orpik's take on that - where he can be sincere (IMO) without offending anyone or saying anything controversial.
What the difference is in how they make the team go, etc.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Crosby is an interesting case this season. Obviously i'm propably the worst person to say anything about him this season as i've only seen him 3 times (all against Caps) but he seems so much easier to contain. I don't know if it's the suffocating team defense he's playing against or something about Crosby himself.

The skill set is still there though. You could just see that in that last game where he protected the puck to perfection and drew the penalty on Niskanen.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I know everyone is wrong time to time.

But this video of Cherry talking about how Ovechkin will have to cool down (all the while praising how smart Crosby is) in order to stay effective.

I know Cherry is a laughing stock of Canada and you guys just like him due to entertainment value. But this is just so absurdly wrong and awkward.

That video was update 6 years a go.

He isn't that wrong OV does not play anywhere near as reckless as he did his first couple years.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's off the leash and having fun again.

This. His last two coaches were Dale Hunter, whose strategy consisted of everyone block shots, no one is allowed to carry the puck past center, and hope to win 1-0 on a shot from the point, and Oates, who was the worst coach of all time. Trotz allows Ovie to be Ovie while demanding team defense. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

Also, pretty incredible the turnaround with regards to the perception of AO. Last few years he was a team cancer not deserving of a C and was "untradeable." This year he's a leader, community activist, and the best player in the world.

Sports gods, I just want to see him raise the Cup. I won't ask for anything else ever as a sports fan, I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad