All Hail Shero: The Best Damn GM In The Business

Fire Shero*

The Shero lovers just need to relax. No one is saying that he's a bad GM. He's a very good GM but the perception around here is that he's some sort of legend.

But what do you expect from a fan base who praised Eric Tangradi for 2 years because he stood in front of a goalie once that resulted in a goal. Or a bunch of posters that glorified Zach Boychuk when it was apparent to even Stevie Wonder how much of a joke he was.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
This.

Why are people acting like Shero worked some crazy magic to get Iggy for a pile of garbage. BOS made a slightly better offer and Shero lucked out that Iggy chose PIT. If Iggy would have accepted going to BOS he'd be a Bruin right now because Shero wouldn't outbid the Bs weak offer.

The Juice deal was great, the Murray deal is pretty good but not awesome and the Morrow deal is terrible. I love that Shero is going for it, but had he had a better off season he wouldn't have had to give up so many picks in a deep draft and Joe ****ing Morrow.

Pittsburgh is 1st in the East and we've been that way before Shero made all the moves he did. So, in addition to building a team thats good enough to place first in the East, he went out and added Morrow, Murray, Iginla, and Jokinen. He turned a 5th into a 3rd, and gave up a conditional 6th/7th, 2 2nds and Morrow, plus two D rated prospects that'll probably never see the light of day in the NHL.

People that don't give Shero credit for landing Iginla, saying he was just lucky becasue he wanted to come here, then go and blame Shero for missing out on guys like Parise and Suter because they wanted to go close to home are ridiculous.

Patience is a virtue. He could've gone out and signed Plan D after missing out on Parise, Suter, and Semin, but he choose to stand pat with a TON of cap space, and now it's paid off. You don't make moves just to make moves. The scrapes that were left in the offseason would not have made this team better than it is now. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Iginla, Kunitz, Letang, and Fleury. We have 7 (6 when Kunitz doesn't play like he is this season) All Star players on this team. Show me another team in this league that can boast that.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
The Shero lovers just need to relax. No one is saying that he's a bad GM. He's a very good GM but the perception around here is that he's some sort of legend.

But what do you expect from a fan base who praised Eric Tangradi for 2 years because he stood in front of a goalie once that resulted in a goal. Or a bunch of posters that glorified Zach Boychuk when it was apparent to even Stevie Wonder how much of a joke he was.

Boychuk was acquired for literally nothing lol. How you can find reason to even mention him in a negative light baffles me.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Pittsburgh is 1st in the East and we've been that way before Shero made all the moves he did. So, in addition to building a team thats good enough to place first in the East, he went out and added Morrow, Murray, Iginla, and Jokinen. He turned a 5th into a 3rd, and gave up a conditional 6th/7th, 2 2nds and Morrow, plus two D rated prospects that'll probably never see the light of day in the NHL.

People that don't give Shero credit for landing Iginla, saying he was just lucky becasue he wanted to come here, then go and blame Shero for missing out on guys like Parise and Suter because they wanted to go close to home are ridiculous.

Patience is a virtue. He could've gone out and signed Plan D after missing out on Parise, Suter, and Semin, but he choose to stand pat with a TON of cap space, and now it's paid off. You don't make moves just to make moves. The scrapes that were left in the offseason would not have made this team better than it is now. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Iginla, Kunitz, Letang, and Fleury. We have 7 (6 when Kunitz doesn't play like he is this season) All Star players on this team. Show me another team in this league that can boast that.

I honestly don't care how well the Pens do in the reg season because of the last 3 years of PO disappointments.

I don't blame him for not getting ZP, I blame him for not haivng a back-up plan. Plan A-Z was go hard after ZP, there were no other options for him.

He's too patient. How long has Sid been in the league and how many games has he played with a legit top tier winger?

And he didn't miss on Semin, he chose not to pursue Semin because he's not a "Shero" type player.

As for your list of players, he was gifted all except Neal who was traded for a player he was also gifted.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He could have moved him and gotten something of value back.

he did get something of value back. Ray Shero very clearly values Harrison Ruopp more than you do.

BS.

If he had held onto Z there would have been no need to trade 2 2nds for Murray. Or if he had moved him for a 3rd liner on OTT there would have been no need for the Morrow trade.

Michalek does absolutely nothing to help the problem that Murray was brought in to help solve

I honestly don't care how well the Pens do in the reg season because of the last 3 years of PO disappointments.

I don't blame him for not getting ZP, I blame him for not haivng a back-up plan. Plan A-Z was go hard after ZP, there were no other options for him.

Plan B seems to have been to use the trade deadline to his advantage. Mission accomplished.

He's too patient. How long has Sid been in the league and how many games has he played with a legit top tier winger?

Kunitz is a very good wing. He's played with him since 2009 now. He had Guerin in 2009; he wasn't bad. Hossa in 2008. Recchi before that. Sully was a solid pick-up last year. Oh, and we currently have Jarome Iginla.

He hasn't had amazing wings. But they aren't the nightmare group that a lot of people seem to believe they were.

And he didn't miss on Semin, he chose not to pursue Semin because he's not a "Shero" type player.

do you have any proof of this or is it pure speculation?

Last edited:

Karnage420*

he overpaid for Morrow.

he paid a steep price for murray

he got a good deal with iginla - tho he didnt have to do much.

he was patient with jokinen to get some money off his contract.

all in all we got what we wanted but we paid a lot for it... lets just hope morrow pays off in the playoffs.

Lets stop fellating until we get a cup ok? this is a pretty pathetic thread, i hate celebrating before anything happens - its pretty much a self curse that can be avoided.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Shero clearly disagrees with you. Harrison Ruopp is not a throw-away prospect at this point and Shero admits to having wanted to draft him in the 2nd round.

Trading a top 4 Dman for a mediocre D prospect that is 3+ years away, only to trade two 2nds to get a Dman at the TDL is terrible asset management.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

the confidence that the anti-Shero crowd has in their assessment of the situation is staggering. time and time again i see the same phrase brandied about: 'he had no back up plan to Parise'

for all we know Plan A was Parise, Plan B could have been Doan, Plan C could have been Damien Brunner, and Place D could have been Setoguchi. those names were linked to the Pens all off-season. based on what we know, it's equally likely that he had many back-up plans and was foiled at every opportunity. it's certainly as likely a scenario as the one wherein he sits on his fat-ass after Zach bolted for the lush forests of Minnesota.

Shero's done a solid job. he isn't without fault and even his most ardent supports are willing to acknowledge that some of his 'asset-management' has been troubling. then again, Dean Lombardi probably wishes he had't let go of a pair of 50 point wingers in Moulson and Purcell and while Rich Peverley lifted the cup i'm willing to bet the current iteration of Blake Wheeler wouldn't look too shabby in the Bruins top six.

the real test will occur in the next few months. if the team collapses again we'll be able to see what Shero is really made of.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Trading a top 4 Dman for a mediocre D prospect that is 3+ years away, only to trade two 2nds to get a Dman at the TDL is terrible asset management.

Again, he clearly valued the cap space he got too. Obviously missing on Parise wasn't his plan when trading away Michalek. But he did get some value back for him. Basically the value of a 2nd who was already a year into development.

And again, Michalek was a bad fit here. We don't want him here. He wouldn't have changed our need for Murray one bit. We would have still traded those 2 2nds.

What would you say if we lost Bortuzzo to waivers? Because had we kept Michalek, that would have probably happened.

Karnage420*

people seem to be missing the point with getting rid of michalek.
people also seem to be missing the point with not just signing some random idiot if we missed out on parise.

we were able to acquire 4 players this deadline because we had plenty of cap space at the start of the season - much because of the above two "issues"

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the confidence that the anti-Shero crowd has in their assessment of the situation is staggering. time and time again i see the same phrase brandied about: 'he had no back up plan to Parise'

for all we know Plan A was Parise, Plan B could have been Doan, Plan C could have been Damien Brunner, and Place D could have been Setoguchi. those names were linked to the Pens all off-season. based on what we know, it's equally likely that he had many back-up plans and was foiled at every opportunity. it's certainly as likely a scenario as the one wherein he sits on his fat-ass after Zach bolted for the lush forests of Minnesota.

Shero's done a solid job. he isn't without fault and even his most ardent supports are willing to acknowledge that some of his 'asset-management' has been troubling. then again, Dean Lombardi probably wishes he had't let go of a pair of 50 point wingers in Moulson and Purcell and while Rich Peverley lifted the cup i'm willing to bet the current iteration of Blake Wheeler wouldn't look too shabby in the Bruins top six.

the real test will occur in the next few months. if the team collapses again we'll be able to see what Shero is really made of.

For all we know, the past 2 weeks was the backup plan. And what's wrong with that? If he wanted ZP and no one else on the market, I see nothing wrong with that. The team was clearly good enough for the regular season. He saw that it wasn't good enough for the playoffs and filled every hole. It's now up to the coach and the players to make it happen. If you're unhappy with how Ray Shero approached the last 12 months and your argument is Doan and Semin, I think you're just looking for things to complain about.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

He seems to have had a back up plan for Parise. It was to see how Tangradi worked out, and if poorly then use the trade deadline. Or maybe it was Semin and he wanted nothing to do with us. Who the hell knows.

Again Shero isn't perfect. But if the Michalek deal, missing Semin and signing Tanner glass are three of his worst moves, he's doing a damn good job.

Fire Shero*

Again Shero isn't perfect. But if the Michalek deal, missing Semin and signing Tanner glass are three of his worst moves, he's doing a damn good job.

You should probably mention the Morrow trade.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Again, he clearly valued the cap space he got too. Obviously missing on Parise wasn't his plan when trading away Michalek. But he did get some value back for him. Basically the value of a 2nd who was already a year into development.

And again, Michalek was a bad fit here. We don't want him here. He wouldn't have changed our need for Murray one bit. We would have still traded those 2 2nds.

What would you say if we lost Bortuzzo to waivers? Because had we kept Michalek, that would have probably happened.

Martin was terrible last year too, and now look at him.

Also, look at what Dmen went for at the TDL and try to tell me that trading Z (with time left on his deal @ 4M) for Roupp was a good deal.

kshinkman*

Shero clearly disagrees with you. Harrison Ruopp is not a throw-away prospect at this point and Shero admits to having wanted to draft him in the 2nd round.

Nonsense. Shero said that he was thinking of drafting him. Just like he was thinking about drafting lots of other players.

kshinkman*

How can you say that now, we have no idea how Joe Morrow will turn out

Classic two-faced attitude of the Shero worshippers. Shero trades Morrow, it's who know how he will turn out. Shero drafts Pouliot, it's a great pick. I don't here any, well who knows how he will turn out then.

No matter what Shero does, he is a genius in the eyes of people like you. You can always twist the future, because by the time you are proved wrong, bno one will remember this post.

kshinkman*

people seem to be missing the point with getting rid of michalek.
people also seem to be missing the point with not just signing some random idiot if we missed out on parise.

we were able to acquire 4 players this deadline because we had plenty of cap space at the start of the season - much because of the above two "issues"

Oh, he couldn't have traded Michalek at the deadline for a lot more than he got? That's news.

kshinkman*

He uses the extra cap space to trade a top prospect for an aging 3rd line and two 2nds for a #7 defenseman? And you call that paying off?

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Anyone still whining about the Michalek trade and 2013 free agency after seeing how the team has played this year and the deadline moves is someone who deserves to be dismissed outright.

There are surely legitimate criticisms of Shero, but these are the bottom of the barrel for only the dreariest Chicken Littles on the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad