All Hail Shero: The Best Damn GM In The Business

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not so sure I'd give as much praise to Shero as some of you give him.

Let's be honest, we only got Iginla because Jarome wanted to come here and he jinxed the trade with Boston. If not for him doing that, Boston would've gotten Iginla. Shero basically offered an underwhelming package however overpaid for 2 pluggers like Morrow & Murray.

I don't buy that he lucked into Iginla. He built the roster that Iginla wanted to come to. He made it abundantly clear that he was going for it this year by signing Morrow and Murray. And I fully believe Shero had plenty of reason to believe Iginla would in fact pick us over Boston. If he thought we needed to offer more, I think he would have. He knew he could win the deal with what he offered though, so why give up more?

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Wow people complaining about the same thing over and over, Michalek-->Semin-->Strait-->Iginla. Rinse lather and repeat.

Doesn't matter anyways since we should have gotten Clowe and Jagr :sarcasm:

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Wow people complaining about the same thing over and over, Michalek-->Semin-->Strait-->Iginla. Rinse lather and repeat.

I really don't think anybody is complaining. They just aren't genuflecting to Shero either. He makes mistakes just like every other GM. Thankfully he makes less than every other GM too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really don't think anybody is complaining. They just aren't genuflecting to Shero either. He makes mistakes just like every other GM. Thankfully he makes less than every other GM too.

a few people are complaining. but for the most part you're right. This board (the internet in general) does not take disagreement well. Middle ground is usually frowned upon.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I love Shero, but part of this is because I want to love Shero. I blame every issue this team has on the coach, when in reality, he's not the person responsible for bringing in talent. Now, I do believe that Shero, by-and-large, brings in guys Dan wants, but if Shero doesn't agree, then he and Dan need to sit down and get on the same page philosophically.

That said, I also love his work because I'm making some assumptions. These assumptions will be proven or debunked in exactly 3 months. See, I'm assuming that he knows what Letang and Malkin are doing. I'm assuming he didn't trade for Iginla just to let him walk in the off-season. And I'm assuming he didn't take on Jokinen's superfluous salary without knowing how all of these pieces fit together.

If July 4th (or whenever FA opens this year) comes and goes without the Pens roster falling into place like a perfect, well-laid plan, I'm going to allow things like Tanner Glass and Morrow - Morrow to carry more significance in my opinion-forming than they currently do.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Pens_Money.gif

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Again, the Michalek trade was a salary dump. It was made with the intention of clearing cap space for Parise. We ended up not getting him, but that space that was opened up has since been put to good use anyway. So to say you loved the Iginla/Jokinen/Vokoun deals but hated the Michalek deal doesn't really make any sense because they kind of go hand-in-hand.

As for Boychuk, I don't really see how such a completely risk-free, harmless experiment is something to hold against Shero. He took a shot at something and it didn't work. Unfortunate, but no harm done.

The other criticisms are fair, even though I don't agree with all of them. I like the Murray deal and I think it's too early to tell about the Morrow deal. I do agree that losing Strait for nothing and signing Glass were both bad moves though.

He didn't need to move Z to sigh ZP, he had enough space to sigh him then move Z for peanuts if he got him. People need to remember GMs can go over the cap by 10% in the summer.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I love Shero, but part of this is because I want to love Shero. I blame every issue this team has on the coach, when in reality, he's not the person responsible for bringing in talent. Now, I do believe that Shero, by-and-large, brings in guys Dan wants, but if Shero doesn't agree, then he and Dan need to sit down and get on the same page philosophically.

That said, I also love his work because I'm making some assumptions. These assumptions will be proven or debunked in exactly 3 months. See, I'm assuming that he knows what Letang and Malkin are doing. I'm assuming he didn't trade for Iginla just to let him walk in the off-season. And I'm assuming he didn't take on Jokinen's superfluous salary without knowing how all of these pieces fit together.

If July 4th (or whenever FA opens this year) comes and goes without the Pens roster falling into place like a perfect, well-laid plan, I'm going to allow things like Tanner Glass and Morrow - Morrow to carry more significance in my opinion-forming than they currently do.

I'm a little more interested to see what happens in the playoffs and what Shero does if things don't work out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's one and 2 again we have no idea if Michalek asked to be moved

Who said Michalek asked to be moved? The only thing that was said was that he wasn't happy here (not on a personal level, but in terms of how he felt he fit on the ice). I am sure that Shero went to him, like he did with Paul Martin (it's public record that he did that with Martin), and asked him if he wanted to be moved. Whether or not Michalek said 'yes' or 'if something makes sense', it's pretty clear that he didn't say 'no'.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Do people miss Michalek that much?

No they just like having a legit-sounding excuse to complain about Shero. Clearly the man has no vision for this team and should be fired after we lose 3 in a row tonight.

15 Wins, players doing great.
3 Losses, blame Shero for not trading for my pet winger of choice (this time of year anyway).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No they just like having a legit-sounding excuse to complain about Shero. Clearly the man has no vision for this team and should be fired after we lose 3 in a row tonight.

3 Losses, blame Shero for not trading for my pet winger of choice (this time of year anyway).

no dude, he traded for too many

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think it's safe to say that for a team with Cup aspirations this year Shero did the best of anyone. That's not the end of the story though. These things still need answers come playoff time:

-Is Murray fast enough?

-Does Morrow have anything left?

I'd say the jury is out on Jokinen too but they got him for almost nothing so if all he does is kill penalties and win faceoffs I'm fine, but those are two legit questions above given what we gave up for those guys.

Fire Shero*

Michalek was unhappy in Pittsburgh. Shero did him a favor.

He's a top pairing defenseman in the nhl and we traded him as if he was a fringe nhl player.

He's better than half of our defensemen. I'd take him over Orpik, Murray, Engelland, Despres (for this season at least) and maybe Niskanen. Basically anyone but Letang and Martin. (Yes even Robert Bourtuzzo the future solid bottom pairing dman)

He had one poor season. Orpik has had like 3 straight poor seasons and people (not as many thankfully) still love him because he checked a bunch of people during one shift of the playoffs 3 years ago.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Michalek was unhappy in Pittsburgh. Shero did him a favor.

He could have moved him and gotten something of value back.

OTT wanted him but the Pens would have had to get a NHL player back so Shero nixed it because of ZP. Had he waited till he lost on ZP to move Z he could have gotten something positive for him.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm a little more interested to see what happens in the playoffs and what Shero does if things don't work out.

Tough to say. I will say this: The players seem to love him, but Malkin in particular. Of all the things I've heard people say need to happen to make Geno re-sign, I'm surprised "keeping the coach whom he loves" doesn't top the list more often.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

BS.

If he had held onto Z there would have been no need to trade 2 2nds for Murray. Or if he had moved him for a 3rd liner on OTT there would have been no need for the Morrow trade.

And how many times to ppl need to say that we're not worried about the Pens in the reg season? 15 game win streak is great but it really doesn't mean much in the POs.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I'm more impressed with Murray than I ever was with Michalek. No hate towards the player, I'd just rather see a defenseman knock the opposition over and take the puck, than keep backing up and drop himself to the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad