All hail Korpisalo

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
He is really demonstrating he is capable of being a #1 goalie, and is getting in the zone at the right time - playoff time.

So, gonna honour him with a song, based on "My name is Jonas" (Weezer)

My name is Joonas
I'm carryin' the team
Like what I've shown ya?
Bet it makes you scream
Take some shots on me, then go have a seat
Just like Tampa's tried, when they couldn't beat (me)
Things are better now, then they've ever been
We're all playing great, like you've never seen

[Chorus 1]
Game's getting hot right on time
Gonna make you lose your mind
The captain said "Hey man, let's go all the way"
A price we are willing to pay

[Verse 2]
My name is Korpi
CBJ and the boys
Chemistry is white hot
And we're starting to make noise, making noise
Don't tell me what to do, got my tank full now
Wheels are spinning fast, and you know what else?
Guess what you'll be getting, in the mail today
Kick-ass saves and clutch goaltendin'

[Chorus 2]
Games giong just as we planned
Torts has injured his hand
CBJ will clear a path
19 wins is the new math

[Bridge 1]
CBJ are sending them home, the CBJ are sending them home
The CBJ are sending them home, the CBJ are sending them home, yeah!

[Outro]
My name is Joonas,

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
All he ever needed was a chance to prove himself.

Just imagine what we could have gotten for Bob last year at the start of the year, or even sooner.

Merzlikins is the goalie you trade.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
YOU DA MAN, KORPI!! KEEP IT UP

I am a CBJ fan for the purest of reasons. And I DO know hockey. My only agenda for hyping up Korpisalo so much over time is that I wanted the team to win hockey games. It’s been clear to me that he had/has ALL the tools to be a GREAT goalie.

It was also clear, even BEFORE last year, that there was some type of disconnect between Bobby and the CBJ team. I saw through the hug and the PR quotes to the media. Sometimes (actually ALWAYS-IMO) the teams relationship with their goalie has to be more than “professional”.

In regards to Elvis, Korpisalo is simply better at nearly everything. Elvis’ play with the puck does not make any sort of positive impact on the CBJ winning games, and Joonas is arguably a cooler name than Elvis anyway. :dunno:

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He is really demonstrating he is capable of being a #1 goalie, and is getting in the zone at the right time - playoff time.

So, gonna honour him with a song, based on "My name is Jonas" (Weezer)

My name is Joonas
I'm carryin' the team
Like what I've shown ya?
Bet it makes you scream
Take some shots on me, then go have a seat
Just like Tampa's tried, when they couldn't beat (me)
Things are better now, then they've ever been
We're all playing great, like you've never seen

[Chorus 1]
Game's getting hot right on time
Gonna make you lose your mind
The captain said "Hey man, let's go all the way"
A price we are willing to pay

[Verse 2]
My name is Korpi
CBJ and the boys
Chemistry is white hot
And we're starting to make noise, making noise
Don't tell me what to do, got my tank full now
Wheels are spinning fast, and you know what else?
Guess what you'll be getting, in the mail today
Kick-ass saves and clutch goaltendin'

[Chorus 2]
Games giong just as we planned
Torts has injured his hand
CBJ will clear a path
19 wins is the new math

[Bridge 1]
CBJ are sending them home, the CBJ are sending them home
The CBJ are sending them home, the CBJ are sending them home, yeah!

[Outro]
My name is Joonas,
This should be renamed the bus propaganda thread.

Seriously. He’s playing well now. He’s doing what I’d hoped he would do when given the opportunity. I’m not ready to anoint him the 2nd coming of Georges Vezina just yet. When the waters run hot, they can also run cold and I think this season has proved the engine runs on the entire collaboration of team defense.

I give ALL goalies credit for the team being where they are. Even Kivlenieks didn’t look terrible when he played and this guy was in the ECHL last year.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
This should be renamed the bus propaganda thread.

Seriously. He’s playing well now. He’s doing what I’d hoped he would do when given the opportunity. I’m not ready to anoint him the 2nd coming of Georges Vezina just yet. When the waters run hot, they can also run cold and I think this season has proved the engine runs on the entire collaboration of team defense.

I give ALL goalies credit for the team being where they are. Even Kivlenieks didn’t look terrible when he played and this guy was in the ECHL last year.
Kiv has worked hard to improve. 2 years ago he was way overmatched in the AHL, but he has worked on his game. Credit also the the goalie coaches in both the NHL and AHL. Brad Theissen has really been a lot of help to Kiv and double V.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Just imagine what we could have gotten for Bob last year at the start of the year, or even sooner.

Nothing, goalies have almost zero trade market.

The time behind Bob was beneficial to Korpi. I think even he would tell you that.

Our system is very goalie friendly, perhaps thats a reason why Bob has had such troubles in Florida. I don't think its a coincidence that all of Korpi, Bob, Elvis, Kiv have had success behind our D and system. Thats not a knock and any of them, but I do think its noteworthy.

And if you made me pick right now, yeah, you obviously trade Elvis. However, unless we're blown away by an offer, there is no reason to trade either of them for at least another year or two. There appears to be no animosity between the two, and its a healthy competition. And as I said before, there is usually no market for goalies thats anything special/more than a 2nd round pick or so.

Korpi Pros:

1. I think he's more athletic
2. I think he's more technically sound
3. I think he portrays confidence in the net, but not cockiness.
4. Makes acrobatic saves

Korpi Cons:

1. Frequently lets in soft goals.
2. Has a hot head if things go wrong, doesn't portray calmness.
3. Gets off his angles sometimes. (which is bailed out sometimes by Pro point #4)
4. Consistency

Elvis Pros:

1. Portrays confidence, and cockiness. Calming presence in the net
2. Good at playing the puck
3. Good technically
4. Doesn't let in soft goals as frequently.

Elvis Cons:

1. Gets adventurous with the puck when playing it.
2. Rebound control is a bit spotty at times.
3. Rides the highs and lows of playing the position.
4. Not the best athleticism

Reactions: Hinterland and Fro

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Calm down now. It's good to enjoy the Korpigod times bu there are a few good reasons why our tandem was rated one of the worst in the league going into this season. He didn't come close to outplaying Bob over the past few seasons.

Reactions: Madifer

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Calm down now. It's good to enjoy the Korpigod times bu there are a few good reasons why our tandem was rated one of the worst in the league going into this season. He didn't come close to outplaying Bob over the past few seasons.
You hit it on the head with the words “going into the season”. That rating was a projection. Over the actual season they outplayed that projection. No, there’s no Vezinas among them and they’ve not surpassed Regular Season Bob. But the Playoff Duo has surpassed Playoff Bob who again was quite ordinary at best.

Reactions: rotsbu and thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You hit it on the head with the words “going into the season”. That rating was a projection. Over the actual season they outplayed that projection. No, there’s no Vezinas among them and they’ve not surpassed Regular Season Bob. But the Playoff Duo has surpassed Playoff Bob who again was quite ordinary at best.
Throw out previous years but don't pretend that Bob was bad last season because he wasn't. Regardless if all the petty locker room contract BS that went on he looked good in the playoffs.

Why did he look pretty good in the playoffs last year? Strong team play in front of him.

With the exception of 5 minutes in game 4 and a lackluster game 2 of the Toronto series, they have had extremely strong play in front of them this year.

Reactions: rotsbu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd like to see a compilation video of the 21 expected goals.

I think you know this, but those expected goals are a lot of 2%, 10% chances added up. Something like 500 shot attempts against. It would be a very long video!

And I think with the Jackets defense getting sticks on sticks, there are some high xG attempts that are really muffin shots for Korpi. He's done an amazing job but the quality against I think is even lower than the xGs suggest. The xG models do a good job of tracking where the shots are coming from but they have no way of tracking where the defenders are on a given chance.

Reactions: Viqsi

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think you know this, but those expected goals are a lot of 2%, 10% chances added up. Something like 500 shot attempts against. It would be a very long video!

And I think with the Jackets defense getting sticks on sticks, there are some high xG attempts that are really muffin shots for Korpi. He's done an amazing job but the quality against I think is even lower than the xGs suggest. The xG models do a good job of tracking where the shots are coming from but they have no way of tracking where the defenders are on a given chance.

Exactly what I expected to see, you're on to me :)

Not as a slight to Korpi, but as a tip-o-the-cap to the Jackets defensive play. Got sucked into the stats vs eye test debate on the mains re: Jones.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Throw out previous years but don't pretend that Bob was bad last season because he wasn't. Regardless if all the petty locker room contract BS that went on he looked good in the playoffs.

Why did he look pretty good in the playoffs last year? Strong team play in front of him.

With the exception of 5 minutes in game 4 and a lackluster game 2 of the Toronto series, they have had extremely strong play in front of them this year.
Good D? You bet. But good goaltending? No question. Through 7 games this year, the goalies have combined for numbers Bob wished he had.

Bob was pretty good in last years playoffs, but well below average every year prior and this year (Living life above the 3.00 GAA line). Small sample indeed, but I’ll take this duo in the playoffs over Bob and in fact as I have no faith in Playoff Bob, unlike my feelings about Regular Season Bob.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Good D? You bet. But good goaltending? No question. Through 7 games this year, the goalies have combined for numbers Bob wished he had.

Bob was pretty good in last years playoffs, but well below average every year prior and this year (Living life above the 3.00 GAA line). Small sample indeed, but I’ll take this duo in the playoffs over Bob and in fact as I have no faith in Playoff Bob, unlike my feelings about Regular Season Bob.
I think all of that also confirms that our team defense has gotten better every year. We've clearly had one of the better d corps in the league the last 2 years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm not going to judge, because until last year's playoffs (where Bob was good) we were running "safe is death" and killing Bob. 2 on 1s versus the prime Pens and Caps, it does not make a goaltender look good.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I really don't think Torts has changed the way this team plays between last year and this year. When they swept Tampa last year, and played Boston fairly well was when guys started buying in to the system. At the beginning of the year when the offense was struggling and the D was keeping us in games they could tell once the O found itself they would get better. It showed with the run they went on in the middle of the year. It showed when they were bringing guys up and plugging them in, and not missing a beat because they are doing the same thing in Cleveland, that the system fits these guys and they bought in more. They stumbled a bit before the shutdown, but found it pretty quickly in the play in round. Had they been just a little better offensively, they would have swept Toronto. If they keep playing their game the way they have been, and just get a little more offense, I think they can get past this round. I still kind of can't believe we are talking about this now because I didn't think they would get this far this year. I figured this would be a down year.

Reactions: rotsbu and thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really don't think Torts has changed the way this team plays between last year and this year.

I think between this playoffs and last year's playoffs it's similar.

The change where "safe is death" was decidedly dropped was in March of 2019.

Reactions: Fro

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
All hail John Robert Tortorella because he is the only MVP of this team!!! You can say all you want.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
All hail John Robert Tortorella because he is the only MVP of this team!!! You can say all you want.

That does a disservice to the underrated players on this team. Werenski just played a monster game. A lot of guys had career worst offensive performances this year because they were implementing the coach's defensive strategy. It makes them look worse and the coach look better, and even though Torts has done a great job, it's a little bit unfair too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad