ALL GOALIE TALK HERE: Bring Chainsaws...pitchforks optional, torches if you wanna see?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He works at Golf Galaxy in Robinson.

I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is...just how?

The dude played professional hockey in North America for 12 years, was in the NHL for a majority of like 7 of those years and then played an additional 6 years of pro hockey in Europe. Why does he need to work at Golf Galaxy? :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The dude played professional hockey in North America for 12 years, was in the NHL for a majority of like 7 of those years and then played an additional 6 years of pro hockey in Europe. Why does he need to work at Golf Galaxy? :laugh:

Not sure if it applies to him, but athletes making millions and going bankrupt is a tale as old as time. Extremely sad but true.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Not sure if it applies to him, but athletes making millions and going bankrupt is a tale as old as time. Extremely sad but true.

Could also just be to keep himself busy. Or maybe it's benefits related? Not sure how ex-players may be compensated insurance-wise.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Could also just be to keep himself busy. Or maybe it's benefits related? Not sure how ex-players may be compensated insurance-wise.
Cap Friendly says he earned roughly $4.5 million as a player. So take home after taxes and agent around $3 mil?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Cap Friendly says he earned roughly $4.5 million as a player. So take home after taxes and agent around $3 mil?

So I just looked this up on Linkedin and...yup. He works at Golf Galaxy.

The problem is that an athlete's career is short and the money is really good when you get it. If you think of that $3M as an annuity you can yield $100K/year or something like that. But when you're probably taking home 4-5x that amount...very tempting to live like it. Especially when you're early-mid 20s.

Reactions: EightyOne

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
"I'm responsible to repair customers golf clubs. So, I replace worn grips with new ones. I do extensions on shafts or cut them if they are too long. I change shafts if they are broken. And I fit customers for the right golf clubs. I also work as a salesperson if help is needed."

Still associated with the Penguins, though.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
"I'm responsible to repair customers golf clubs. So, I replace worn grips with new ones. I do extensions on shafts or cut them if they are too long. I change shafts if they are broken. And I fit customers for the right golf clubs. I also work as a salesperson if help is needed."

I'm just here for the golf references.

I also think if there were an "all 3C talk here" thread, it'd be just as contentious.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man, the post sporting life “where are they now” segments are just getting grimmer and grimmer.
IjFY8TB.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So I just looked this up on Linkedin and...yup. He works at Golf Galaxy.

The problem is that an athlete's career is short and the money is really good when you get it. If you think of that $3M as an annuity you can yield $100K/year or something like that. But when you're probably taking home 4-5x that amount...very tempting to live like it. Especially when you're early-mid 20s.

Or he is retired and is just working at Golf Galaxy because he’s bored.

Just peeped an interview with him:

Jean-Sebastien Aubin: I‘ve never left Pittsburgh since I played here. We always came back in the summers, in between seasons. So I always kept in touch with the Alumni all along. When I finally retired a few years ago, after playing 6 years in Europe. I got more involved with it. (Speaking on the Pens ambassador role.)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Makes sense to grab a low stress job post-NHL career. Some people need to stay busy.

Tbh. Sounds like a dream job for a person like him, probably makes enough to give some money to his kids or wife or stabilize the bills, talk golf, and get recognized as Penguin sometimes. And PITT doesn’t seem like a fanbase that would rib on him if they knew he who he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->