ALL GOALIE TALK HERE: Bring Chainsaws...pitchforks optional, torches if you wanna see?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think JR will show interest but its not guaranteed that Fleury would come back. He'd be competing for a job here and this is like the 4th time in his career hes been benched in the playoffs. Maybe he thinks hes not a starter anymore but im not sure. I could see him going to Calgary or Carolina.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also think that Lehner contract probably makes it more likely that Markstrom and possibly Holtby re-sign with their current teams. If Lehner is getting $5 million, how can Markstrom reasonably demand $6+ million with term? The market seems kinda shitty for getting a big contract this summer due to the stagnant cap, so I can easily see Markstrom getting a cheaper deal and Holtby gambling on a 1 year deal to try to up his negotiating power, with both of those players staying at their current teams.

This also may make Murray cheaper to re-sign on an extension. How can you justify giving Murray $7 million when Lehner just signed for $5 million?

Reactions: Factorial and ownal

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If he's gonna take a super sweetheart back-up deal, I don't see what the fuss is, but I'm sure it'll be insufferable nonetheless.

Either way, death to all netminders.

Anybody in their right mind would take Flower as a back-up on vet minimum. The issue is these delusional Pens fans wouldn't be able to handle him in back-up minutes. They will ruin Jarry's development like they did MM.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think that, + teams might finally be getting wise to it not being a good idea to sink a ton of money into goaltending these days.

That's what we said after Lundqvist and Price. Someone's gonna do it. Holtby will get something like 6x7 and Murray will get signed to 5 years.

Vegas literally just went from giving MAF tons of money based on some good performance....to watching his job taken (again) - only to turn around and sign another #1 with term ....albeit the term/money aren't as bad. It's the game that must be played because there are other teams out there willing to go that extra million or extra year(s). I think a key with goalies is what the Penguins luckily stumbled in to - and that's having 2 young and relatively inexpensive guys who can play to your system. Going all-in just never seems to pan out.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So Edmonton is interested but JR wants too much. Comical.

We aren't getting a 1st rounder for Murray. And frankly, why in the hell would we trade Murray for a 1st anyway? We had 15 overall and gave that away + a good prospect for a bottom 6 winger with low hockey IQ. Regaining a 1st, unless it's inside the top 10 is moronic for reasons just stated.

We'll be lucky to get a 2nd + a depth player. I really have to laugh at some of the hypotheticals being thrown out around here. Goalies don't return much. That is based on history.

You don't get a premium return for something a goalie did 2-3 years ago. Murray has been, at best, a very average goalie the last 2 seasons. That's what you're going to get in return. Average.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wrong thread...

I'll make use of it...

tumblr_mxyp8bQg401qdee41o1_r1_400.gif

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm starting to get concerned that a deal hasn't happened yet. You have to think all the teams have put their best offers on the table by now. The only dominoes left to fall are the Lehner/Fleury situation and of course free agency. I sure hope they don't wait till free agency, because they need time to close up holes once the return for Murray is known. 3C, RD or picks/prospects. If you don't get the roster players from Murray you need to go get them in further trades or UFA.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm starting to get concerned that a deal hasn't happened yet. You have to think all the teams have put their best offers on the table by now. The only dominoes left to fall are the Lehner/Fleury situation and of course free agency. I sure hope they don't wait till free agency, because they need time to close up holes once the return for Murray is known. 3C, RD or picks/prospects. If you don't get the roster players from Murray you need to go get them in further trades or UFA.

I think teams are waiting to see whether Lehner, Markstrom re-sign and the trade market for Kuemper...perhaps also Fleury buy out or not...I think Murray is not going to be anyone’s top selection for a lot of reasons including the fact that Kuemper and Georgiev might be available for trades...would you have a better goalie in Kuemper signed for a cost effective $4.5 mil for the next couple years or Murray, who might be seeking a $6+ mil long term contract...I’ll be surprised if JR can swing a trade of him much before the draft...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
seems like colorado is our best trading partner. and if so, their gm is famous for moving slow. so can jr wait him out?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
seems like colorado is our best trading partner. and if so, their gm is famous for moving slow. so can jr wait him out?

The problem with waiting is the free agents hit the market, which skews the current supply and demand equation.

The problem with no waiting is you may sell Murray for less than you could get if you'd been more patient.

No way to know for sure, but perhaps there a little bit of a game of chicken going on here with JR and a suitor or two.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The problem with waiting is the free agents hit the market, which skews the current supply and demand equation.

The problem with no waiting is you may sell Murray for less than you could get if you'd been more patient.

No way to know for sure, but perhaps there a little bit of a game of chicken going on here with JR and a suitor or two.
I have very little hope JR will trade MM for the most value possible. If his asset management is anywhere close to as brutal as it has been of late, we're looking at an unremarkable return. And with more Goalies expected to be available, that only exacerbates the matter. I sincerely hope I'm wrong here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad