All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have always been a proponent of a percentage of I guess revenue would be the right word. Basically both teams get the same percentage of revenue their teams bring in. Just to keep numbers simple for me say both teams get 10% of the money they bring in. USMNT brings in $100, they get to split $10 between their players. USWNT brings in $200, they get to split $20 between the players. I feel like that’s the only way to properly have equal pay. Whether the women’s or men’s team brings in more money (which I think is the women’s recently) I don’t believe it’s right for the other side to profit off of that. Maybe it’s just me and I’m entirely in the wrong here because I haven’t thought about it too much.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They had two claims rejected. Unequal pay and unequal playing surfaces.

The third, unequal access to trainers and hotel accommodations, wasn’t outright rejected.
Yeah, the third is one that I always thought was legitimate, and they'll probably make some gains there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I have always been a proponent of a percentage of I guess revenue would be the right word. Basically both teams get the same percentage of revenue their teams bring in. Just to keep numbers simple for me say both teams get 10% of the money they bring in. USMNT brings in $100, they get to split $10 between their players. USWNT brings in $200, they get to split $20 between the players. I feel like that’s the only way to properly have equal pay. Whether the women’s or men’s team brings in more money (which I think is the women’s recently) I don’t believe it’s right for the other side to profit off of that. Maybe it’s just me and I’m entirely in the wrong here because I haven’t thought about it too much.
The thing is always that the WNT gets the bulk of their pay through the NT, not their club, where with the men, the NT pay is all gravy for them as they make their main pay with their clubs, so they can have their NT pay be more bonus structured and less guaranteed. It's all about stability vs risk. And if you choose the stability structure over the risk structure, you can't complain that the risk structure would've made you more money in a given year.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Didn't realize this whole time they actually negotiated the CBA structure that they're now litigating against.

Weird.

Reactions: Rob

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It’s worth noting that neither the judge nor US soccer said that the women were offered an identical CBA to the men. They simply noted that the basis of the women’s complaint was “sure we got paid the same (more actually) in totality and per game, but that’s only because we won more. If we had the men’s CBA we’d have made way more/if the men did what we did they’d have way more”

The judge correctly noted that the women rejected that type of CBA so they can’t use it as the basis for a claim. They specifically negotiated away higher potential for higher guarantees and thus having a lower potential is the result of bargaining, not discrimination.

Things don’t actually have to be equal, they just can’t be unequal because of discrimination.

Reactions: Rob

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It’s worth noting that neither the judge nor US soccer said that the women were offered an identical CBA to the men. They simply noted that the basis of the women’s complaint was “sure we got paid the same (more actually) in totality and per game, but that’s only because we won more. If we had the men’s CBA we’d have made way more/if the men did what we did they’d have way more”

The judge correctly noted that the women rejected that type of CBA so they can’t use it as the basis for a claim. They specifically negotiated away higher potential for higher guarantees and thus having a lower potential is the result of bargaining, not discrimination.

Things don’t actually have to be equal, they just can’t be unequal because of discrimination.
If they rejected that type of CBA, that's close enough to being offered what the men got. It might not confirm the exact same, but it makes it clear that a higher bonus structure was on the table or available to be negotiated for. Seems like they just don't like the deal that they negotiated and agreed to.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Testing for COVID-19 will be “regular,” but the exactly frequency is yet to be determined. Players and staff won’t be quarantined, but will have restrictions on what they do off the field.
Teams will stay in the dormitories near RSL’s training facility and at some hotels. Training sessions will be held mainly at the Herriman facility, with some at America First Field, where the Royals practice.

Whether spectators will be allowed is still to be determined. The hope is a small, possibly previously selected group of fans can attend to start, with numbers growing as restrictions in the state continue to lift. Most of Utah is currently under “yellow” risk level, but certain cities, like Salt Lake, are still in “orange.”

Not officially quarantined, but they will all stay together in facilities away from the public and have at least some restrictions, so it's pretty close to a quarantine.

Sounds like if fans are allowed, it'll be a small group that are tested, and I imagine they'd be spread out. It's not like they are going to be slammed together in an indoor arena.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
EYedhncUwAA5kSj

Portland Thorns new kits are absolutely fire

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Big news for the NWSL. Orlando Pride pull out of the NWSL tournament that was due to start again in 6 days. 6 players and 4 staff members were confirmed positive.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Australia and New Zealand awarded the 2023 World Cup over Colombia. Glad FIFA actually made the right decision to not give it to a country that did not deserve it. Colombia can't just decide they suddenly care about the women's game when Australia has actually been investing their women's team.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Courage playing the Thorns on CBS right now. Thorns are missing Tobin Heath because she opted out of playing. I have the Courage taking this one and are still the front runners to win this tournament.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Racing Louisville FC the newest edition to NWSL. Will be playing their games (eventually) at Louisville City FC's USL stadium. If they get the support that Louisville City FC has been getting they will do great. Originally the name was going to be Proof Louisville FC, but they listened to supporters and went in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad