All encompassing Barabanov thread

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think he was fine yesterday. Had a few dangerous looks but that is the first time I've seen that from him. I don't think he has any business playing for this team going forward. He just doesn't do anything particularly well.

First time all season he showed anything dangerous. Looks to me he needs to be in the top 6 to be effective. I am not sure there is a place here for him... Some guys are not able to be effective other than in one specific role. Unfortunate but worth the chance for us. He can go back to the K to great success I am sure.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
At least he wasn't hopelessly outmatched last night, for the first time.

still not actually "good", but at least he kinda looked like an nhler.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
At the very least, he's a cheap waiver exempt option to plug in and will be accessible to the Leafs all year because of both of those aspects.

The question really becomes does he want to stick around as a pure depth option and does a team like Arizona (who offered him in a better deal filled with bonuses) come in and offer something worthwhile enough, while giving Barabanov a clearer NHL shot.
Or more likely he'll just go back to the KHL where he made more money, excelled and won Gold medals and Gagarin Cups.
I don't imagine he will stick around long.

The Arizona thing sounds interesting, to say the least, and the KHL is a tried and true option for him.

At any rate, I don't think either of the Leafs or Barabanov are getting what they hoped for from this contract.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think he is a winger who is very replaceable ... i wish he had some size on him and could do what he does but also bring a more physical element to open up more ice for our skilled guys ... he is more reliable than Vesey but size is a big limiting factor for me ... Vesey is at least a big body ... but really we can do better than both these guys and save some CAP $$$ too

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Barb , Vesey , Engvall have literally done nothing , and I mean nothing at all , it’s like we don’t have a entire line , like playing 3 men short off the bench
I have never encountered 3 men with the lack of scoring , toughness , energy , nothing nothing
I have been the biggest supporter of Dubas and Keefe , but man o man .
There’s usually a whipping boy on each team but these three all at once , and then you add the lack of production of JT and WN and AK that’s now 6 that aren’t producing at all , then the unfortunate injuries of key players and we now have a AHL team with 2 elite players , then you have a game like last night ( which happens to all teams ) that your star players don’t score and you get what we got “0” that’s what you get nada !
And don’t get me started on that joker Engvall, and his game last night of being the most timid player I’ve ever seen in my life , the other teams scouting are laughing at us with this waste of a player , if I was playing against him , I would just hit him once and he’s done for the night as he was last night , pathetic pathetic player , he’s on my list as top 10 worst players to ever wear our beautiful Leaf on his chest , get him the hell out of town

Reactions: Cobra777

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think he holds onto a Taxi Squad spot for most of the year, but if Robertson starts playing well in the AHL his days could be numbered.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thrown into a top 6 role after not playing for a bit and he did well. Could be a case that he just performs better with skilled players in a complimentary role.

He definitely looked better in that type of usage.

Though quesrion emerges is if even then is he better than other options in thag role.

He's shown enough glimpses of good play that I'm still intrigued though

Reactions: BertCorbeau

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I thought Barabanov looked decent in the top 6 last night. With key guys injured wouldn't hurt to keep giving him top6 mins and see what we have.

Hey if he goes on a hot streak may be we can can get a solid pick out of it if we don't want to retain him.

Its not like JT-Nylander are lighting it up and their chemistry might be ruined due to Barabanov lol

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And don’t get me started on that joker Engvall, and his game last night of being the most timid player I’ve ever seen in my life , the other teams scouting are laughing at us with this waste of a player , if I was playing against him , I would just hit him once and he’s done for the night as he was last night , pathetic pathetic player , he’s on my list as top 10 worst players to ever wear our beautiful Leaf on his chest , get him the hell out of town
What is it about the Leafs that attracts this type of player. He's the reincarnation of Freddy Gauthier. They get bullied on the ice by guys half their size.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
What is it about the Leafs that attracts this type of player. He's the reincarnation of Freddy Gauthier. They get bullied on the ice by guys half their size.
I have no ideas what so ever , but if you have the stomach to watch that game again , pay attention to him and his shifts , it’s literally disgusting
I know I come from a different generation and , tougher meaner hockey was prevalent, and I’m not asking for that , but that scared timid goof that plays like him is inexcusable and I’m done with him and Vesey but his play was just a joke

Reactions: Cobra777

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
He sucks, but I’d play him over Petan.

the last game was the first time he was noticeable/ had a few dangerous moments. He will fill a spot until others come back from injury / force themselves into the lineup.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He looks like he could be a Kerfoot clone. A small guy who can buzz around, skate well and handle the puck, but not necessarily have any kind of payload by the time you get to the net.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think he has more finish than Kerfoot... we haven't seen it yet but it feels like it is there. He has way more skill that Kerfy too, hands, vision...

If he can play every game like these last two, I'd keep him in the lineup. Wouldn't mind seeing him with 34 & 16 for a period or two... or 91 & 88 for that matter.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think they told him before last game he should start packing his bags if he didnt pick his game up.

Certainly has looked better as of late.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I've liked his last 2 games and could see him playing up the lineup in the top 6 effectively.

Push Hyman and Mikheyev to the 3rd line with Kerfoot, give more balance to the lineup when everyone is healthy hopefully.

Thornton - Matthews - Marner
Barabanov - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Hyman
Spezza - Boyd - Simmonds

I think Barabanov has some good edgework and can control the puck pretty well, really wouldn't mind him being given a bigger role to test it out over a period of time. Seems decently tenacious on the puck, he isn't Hyman/Mikheyev, but he should be able to force some turnovers for that second line.

Ice-time related, Keefe shuffles lines, don't worry Hyman can still play 20 mins a game, Keefe can make it work.

Having said all that, would be interested to see a line of Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Barabanov, I think it'd be annoying to play against.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He just needed opportunities and some time to adjust. He clearly has talent. I hope when the team gets healthy he takes Vesey's minutes

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
That between the legs dangle on his first shift had me pressing rewind a few times...it was unexpected and a sweet move.
He seems to be over the stage fright and I was looking for him tonight.
Mind you my old eyes had troubles finding anyone with those jerseys. END THE REVERSE RETRO JERSEY EXPERIMENT PLEASE!!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
For everyone who is rushing to replace Vesey with Barabanov (or literally anyone), remember that despite how much you hate Vesey's offense, he has not really been a liability at ES (especially in his own end) and is one of the best PKing forwards in the league to this point (small shoutout to Kerfoot for being top 5 in the league in xGA/60 on the PK for forwards over 15 minutes played thus far).

Last time I checked, we need great PKers. People wanted guys who would do the little things if they were not scoring. Vesey is pretty much embodying that to a tee. Obviously I would still like Vesey to be on pace for more than 6 points this year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I actually noticed him last night, he actually did thing, he still didn't score but he did create some quality chances for himself it was by far his best game

Reactions: TopChedder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad