All encompassing Barabanov thread

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Hey guys so I know how everyone likes to make “appreciation” threads for the guys but I’d like to make one where we put everything in one place...good bad and ugly for Mr. Barabanov it seems like we are split with this guy...some people seem to think we were getting a guy similar to Panarin (expectations wise)

Personally I like his game he does the little things right and doesn’t look out of place anywhere in the lineup whether it be playing a checking role or with some more skilled guys...he’s a gamer and I hope we can keep him because he already has the IQ that you can’t teach a player

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Can we stop with experiment? The best best thing he's done is hit the crossbar last night he's pathetic

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Cant play on 4th line. Give him a chance on 2nd line or send to marlies

I’m all for giving him a shot with some more talented players and maybe some time with Barb to see if she can pull a little more explosiveness out of his skating...all in all the guy doesn’t look out of place anywhere except maybe on our 1st line although he could be the defensive conscience with MM and AM but I don’t think he’d ba able to keep up with them (very few players can)

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
No, they are good players, that are in somewhat of a slump.

Barabanov has done nothing

We disagree there and that’s fine...no he hasn’t lit the lamp but he’s done a ton of things that don’t make it to the scoreboard...he’s hard on the forecheck (for a small guy) he finishes his checks, plays really well within the system and doesn’t look out of place...he’s no AM or MM but he isn’t out of his depth either which is more of a good thing than I was expecting...keep in mind he’s still young and adjusting to life in NA

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wouldn’t say Barabanov has been good. He looked a little better than usual last night. I’d give him another game playing with Nylander and Tavares and if he can’t really muster anything up then I’d replace him with Galchenyuk.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Personally I like his game he does the little things right and doesn’t look out of place anywhere in the lineup whether it be playing a checking role or with some more skilled guys...he’s a gamer and I hope we can keep him because he already has the IQ that you can’t teach a player

I was hoping for a Hyman-lite that could play in our top 9, and up until last night was fairly disappointed. Seemed like he just didn't have the physical ability to play his game on small ice against NHLer's. Last night though he definitely showed a glimmer of delivering and IMO earned another top 6 look. I agree about the little things and IQ.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We disagree there and that’s fine...no he hasn’t lit the lamp but he’s done a ton of things that don’t make it to the scoreboard...he’s hard on the forecheck (for a small guy) he finishes his checks, plays really well within the system and doesn’t look out of place...he’s no AM or MM but he isn’t out of his depth either which is more of a good thing than I was expecting...keep in mind he’s still young and adjusting to life in NA

There is more to hockey than scoring although it is true you can't have a player that gives you nothing offensively not anymore this isn't the year 2000 where you could get away with having a guy That's just there.

It would be different if he didn't score but you could say that he hits, but he doesn't, not really, or that he blocks shots, but he doesn't not really, or that he helps the PK but he doesn't, or that he stands up for his team but he doesn't.

So if he doesn't score, hit, fight, block shots, PK then what DOES he do?

Because even Jimmy Vesey who is also just there is on the PK he does SOMETHING.

I'm not asking Barabanov to be a star but I am asking him to do SOMETHING

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t see it, was a warm body last night filling in for an injury riddled lineup. He was okay, which was better than invisible I suppose.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think a 27 y.o. KHL vet needs to shine a little brighter to make it to the big show.

There's not a lot of upside here. What you see is what you get, and what the Leafs are getting from that roster spot is not that impressive. Okay -- that's all.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think a 27 y.o. KHL vet needs to shine a little brighter to make it to the big show.

There's not a lot of upside here. What you see is what you get, and what the Leafs are getting from that roster spot is not that impressive. Okay -- that's all.

Yeah, I think what we see is what we get. If he can't play PK or PP and not good enough to make our top 6 he is strictly DEEP depth a Marlie.
He has been in NA skating and training and is not a young player.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think he was fine yesterday. Had a few dangerous looks but that is the first time I've seen that from him. I don't think he has any business playing for this team going forward. He just doesn't do anything particularly well.

Reactions: stickty111

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
At the very least, he's a cheap waiver exempt option to plug in and will be accessible to the Leafs all year because of both of those aspects.

The question really becomes does he want to stick around as a pure depth option and does a team like Arizona (who offered him in a better deal filled with bonuses) come in and offer something worthwhile enough, while giving Barabanov a clearer NHL shot.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
At the very least, he's a cheap waiver exempt option to plug in and will be accessible to the Leafs all year because of both of those aspects.

The question really becomes does he want to stick around as a pure depth option and does a team like Arizona (who offered him in a better deal filled with bonuses) come in and offer something worthwhile enough, while giving Barabanov a clearer NHL shot.
Or more likely he'll just go back to the KHL where he made more money, excelled and won Gold medals and Gagarin Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->