All-encompassing anti-Pittsburgh thread

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well the Penguins may be ruining our lottery pick, but maybe we can take solace in the fact that Brandon Dubinsky just triggered every Penguins fan in the world to have a meltdown with a single tweet.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Pittsburgh is now the top of the East.

Still pissed that the NHL modified the trade agreement without giving any compensation to the Wild. The Wild should have lodged a formal complaint.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Pittsburgh is now the top of the East.

Still pissed that the NHL modified the trade agreement without giving any compensation to the Wild. The Wild should have lodged a formal complaint.
Who what? When did that happen and what was it?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
its all guerin's fault we didn't get last years pick. i have to believe pens wanted zucker and approached guerin with the trade proposal and he just said sure whatever. now we get a lame mid to high 20's pick. (instead of 14 or 15). can judd work some magic? sure its possible.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
its all guerin's fault we didn't get last years pick. i have to believe pens wanted zucker and approached guerin with the trade proposal and he just said sure whatever. now we get a lame mid to high 20's pick. (instead of 14 or 15). can judd work some magic? sure its possible.
It wasn't Guerin's decision? I don't know why Guerin is to blame for the Pens CHOOSING which pick they wanted to give us.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If we had the pick last year, I don't doubt we would've found a way to move up to 12 and get the player they were targeting (likely Lundell), but we didn't. It's too bad in hindsight, but I'm still more than happy with the deal. I'm confident in Brackett's ability to get as an NHLer in the 25-31 range. Not to mention, Zucker's contract is quickly becoming a pretty bad deal.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Who what? When did that happen and what was it?

NHL modified the trade due to the Coronavirus:

Minnesota will receive Pittsburgh's own first-round pick in the 2020 draft if the Penguins make the Stanley Cup Playoffs. If Pittsburgh does not qualify for the postseason, it will have the option to instead give Minnesota its first-round pick in 2021. The option will expire at 5 p.m. ET on June 1.

The NHL basically had its cake and ate it too; they considered the Play-In Rounds both Playoff Games and not Playoff Games. (Stats would count toward the Playoffs, but the games weren't considered Playoffs...however bizarre that is). But the NHL modified the expiration date of the trade agreement, which means they had modified the trade. All of the other trades that were modified were arbitrated by the NHL - the biggest being the Neal/Lucic trade (though the Kings/Maple Leafs and I believe the Hurricane/New Jersey trade got modified?).

This was a HUGE deal, because Guerin probably knew the 2021 season was going to be weird, but also the 2021 wasn't as deep as the 2020 draft.

As it stood at the end of the season, Pittsburgh was a shoo-in for the playoffs. They were 7th overall in the league in terms of points%. It was only a couple of fringe teams that was going to be an issue.

Well then if the Pens tanked this year Guerin would be blamed for not getting this pick. No matter what he does, he can't win.

A bird in the hand...Honestly, I would have preferred getting Dawson Mercer, Connor Zary, Radion Amirov, or whoever over what we may get this year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
i dont need a pat on the back to know when im right. we have a pick probably 10 spots worse in a weaker draft , you tell me how guerin gets a gold star for that.

Because we are getting a top 32 selection in the draft + Calen Addison...all for giving up a player that we have no use for. That's why.

Ask Penguins fans what they think of that trade.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
i dont need a pat on the back to know when im right. we have a pick probably 10 spots worse in a weaker draft , you tell me how guerin gets a gold star for that.

I don’t recall seeing this being a weaker draft, it just doesn’t the the high high talent a draft normally produces. If anything, this may be a godsend to us as the year has been weird and a good player may drop further than they normally would

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i forgot to add we lost a year of player development not that anyone cares. as for zucker maybe he really enjoyed playing in minny.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don’t recall seeing this being a weaker draft, it just doesn’t the the high high talent a draft normally produces. If anything, this may be a godsend to us as the year has been weird and a good player may drop further than they normally would

Eh, 2021 is considered a weak draft. When guys like O'Rourke and Khusnutdinov drop to the 2nd round - mid too, that's a pretty deep draft.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
i forgot to add we lost a year of player development not that anyone cares. as for zucker maybe he really enjoyed playing in minny.

Irrelevant. I'm sure he would rather be here than in Pittsburgh for family reasons, mostly. But the Wild simply had too many wingers to justify keeping Zucker on the roster. He was the odd man out.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Eh, 2021 is considered a weak draft. When guys like O'Rourke and Khusnutdinov drop to the 2nd round - mid too, that's a pretty deep draft.

I agree with Minnewildsota. This is one of the most "underscouted" group of prospects for any draft in recent memory. While there might not be the top end talent like we saw in the last draft, there will still be some really good NHL players taken. And because of the scouting challenges, the draft boards for the 32 different teams will be all over the place. Guys who we though would go in the top 10 could very well slide all the way down to where we will be picking.

This is where Brackett could make some magic happen.

It will make for a very exciting 1st round I believe.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is one of the most "underscouted" group of prospects for any draft in recent memory.

How is this under scouted? I mean, there are some odds here and there, but it's not like scouts didn't check out these kids before this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad