AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bringing over the last couple posts:

I buy that that is the reasoning, but it's pretty poor reasoning when TV is the most important element of the promotion. It's been a decent angle regardless but drawing it out more would have been nice rather than throwing in a ball shot after MJF had already "screwed" Rhodes much worse. I will look forward to what should be some very strong promos coming up.

They never explained on TV why MJF was Cody’s guy either, especially when he was still working as a heel anyways.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think AEW is running into a little issue of what is on tv vs. what is on oen of the youtube channels that may have not been seen. The MJF thing needed a better full story. Lots of minor moments but only the diehards really understood that turn. Without the context from even before AEW took off, it feels crazy rushed.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
They didn't set up MJF enough on TV. We only really saw him once and he beat Cutler and cut a heel promo. Then he is saving Cody. How about some promo time, build up the towel throw. Give MJF a match or two.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I cannot believe the reviews of the Mox/Omega match. Some are loving it. Some are calling it absolutely brutal. Omega is the one guy they really need to get right to continue to build steam. I've said it a million times... if casuals tuned in to see what Omega is all about, they are probably not sticking around and that guy has A LOT of special stuff to show off. They need to build him up to be the guy to take down Jericho and run wild.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They didn't set up MJF enough on TV. We only really saw him once and he beat Cutler and cut a heel promo. Then he is saving Cody. How about some promo time, build up the towel throw. Give MJF a match or two.

That's it basically. I've seen some (definitely not all) of the internet stuff and that's fine, but that cannot be the primary medium for storytelling on an angle. MJF as a heel who is face when Cody was looking was like a better version of WCW's Sting and Luger angle, and throwing the towel in could easily be justified even if we know that he did it because he's a bastard. Playing it up just for a ball shot when MJF had nothing to gain is a bit of a whimper. I still look forward to the followup promos.

I also agree that Omega needs to be built up better. They talk him up as if he's the best, but his record and performances at AEW events don't really show that. He should be the next viable face candidate to take the title off Jericho. As a somewhat related point, I fully expect AEW to stop showing each wrestler's record as over time they will probably suspiciously start looking like 50/50 records unless a bunch of jobbers get brought in.

Reactions: scrubadam

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You're probably going to see a lot of that off-site vignettes and such on social media (or AEW Dark, which is social media), because their ratings (and thus analytics) are telling them that running video packages on the show is losing viewers. That doesn't mean they should never do any of it, because they are still doing it, but it's a lot more important to them to keep the viewers they have on their station.

Reactions: TD Charlie

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

My main problem with MJF turn is he was a heel like a month ago... and like the most hateable, punchable heel. So it made it more predictable he would turn back. It would've been a better moment if he was pure face from the start. Some people tried to tell me that AEW has a complex face and heel system where people are faces and heels depending on the situation.. But I suspect it's more that they turned MJF briefly face strictly so he could turn on Rhodes.

Last edited:

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I loved the Moxley and Omega match personally due to not being exposed to death matches before, but my question is how do you follow that up for your next hardcore matches? Is Moxley going to have a hardcore match where he throws someone on thumbtacks? It will feel tame in comparison.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
My main problem with MJF turn is he was a heel like a month ago... and like the most hateable, punchable heel. So it made it more predictable he would turn back. It would've been a better moment if he was pure face from the start. Some people tried to tell me that AEW has a complex face and heel system where people are faces and heels depending on the situation.. But I suspect it's more that they turned MJF briefly face strictly so he could turn on Rhodes.

The heel turned wasn't earned, and I don't see the set up for it aside from MJF saying DUH I am a bad guy. There wasn't any hints that MJF was doing this for nefarious reasons or was jealouse of Cody, at least on Dynamite. It would of made more sense if he turned and joined the Inner Circle saying that Jerhico would make him a star and he has a connection to him because of their scarves.

Just kinda feels like an unearned heel turn. We will see what he says at Dynamite. Also they should of set up the towel throw at the contract signing by making a big deal out of the corner men and maybe Jerhcio could of goaded MJF by saying he won't be able to watch Cody be beat with in an inch of his life and maybe MJF won't be able to handle it. Can MJF live with Cody's blood on his hands?

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
It's not a heel turn when he was always a heel. He was just pretending to be Cody's friend. I know most people don't watch BTE for some reason let along go back and watch old episodes but he's always been a heel to everyone but Cody. He's threatened Brandi. Taunted and even tried to feed brownies to Pharaoh.

Reactions: Duddy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I loved the Moxley and Omega match personally due to not being exposed to death matches before, but my question is how do you follow that up for your next hardcore matches? Is Moxley going to have a hardcore match where he throws someone on thumbtacks? It will feel tame in comparison.

It will be difficult to escalate things in the violence sense, but time helps. If there isn't a serious, lengthy hardcore match until next summer for instance it should be fine. If Moxley or the mid-card hardcore stooges do hardcore matches regularly it will take the shine away pretty quickly. Hopefully they space things out nicely.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can personally do without any more "unsanctioned matches"...my kids were like "ummm dad, isn't that attempted murder??" lol....no son, it is cool to take an ice pick out and try and stab someone with it!! outside of that, I think Mox and Kenny can do far better than that..their talents just weren't utilized properly in that match - I was ok with it, but I can see why some hated it as well.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
That's it basically. I've seen some (definitely not all) of the internet stuff and that's fine, but that cannot be the primary medium for storytelling on an angle. MJF as a heel who is face when Cody was looking was like a better version of WCW's Sting and Luger angle, and throwing the towel in could easily be justified even if we know that he did it because he's a bastard. Playing it up just for a ball shot when MJF had nothing to gain is a bit of a whimper. I still look forward to the followup promos.

I also agree that Omega needs to be built up better. They talk him up as if he's the best, but his record and performances at AEW events don't really show that. He should be the next viable face candidate to take the title off Jericho. As a somewhat related point, I fully expect AEW to stop showing each wrestler's record as over time they will probably suspiciously start looking like 50/50 records unless a bunch of jobbers get brought in.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I see. That sounds dumb unless they are going for a season gimmick, but I don't really see a way around the problems that arise from showing the records.

Dark Order vs Jurassic Express, with Stunt wrestling, is a channel changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->