AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Pretty big faction in the bucks, good bros and omega.

who do they add to Eddie and Mox to go 5v5 here with the feud?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
That Jericho promo was maybe the best I've seen in 10 years about MJF. Jericho killed that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll be honest, this is the first I've really sat down and watched a whole AEW. I feel like I'm on speed and red bull. Is that normal?

Everything is a 5-8 person stable and everything is always happening.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'll be honest, this is the first I've really sat down and watched a whole AEW. I feel like I'm on speed and red bull. Is that normal?

they typically open the show with a tag match, or a group v group match. They do a nice job of hooking viewers in the opener and they know it. First match is often the best of the night.

To answer your question more blunt, yes.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Give Christian Cage more mic time.
Been there 6 weeks, finally talks in ring, and he & Taz produce gold.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

it’s definitely a lot

I prefer it to WWE tbh, it’s more organic. It has plenty of flaws and I don’t think Tony Khan is a great booker but for the most part it’s entertaining and they aim to please their fan base

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They want to get as many people as possible on each show and you can’t get 1000 people over at the same time because less of it feels important.

Mike Tyson was on this show, he needed to be the main event. Especially since they had like a 40-minute opener so everyone else got crammed in at the end.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Always entertained by Cornette ranting even if I don't agree with him.

I do agree with him on a lot of things re: the silly shit in pro wrestling. I also think he goes too far in the other direction in terms of wanting to go back to pretending it's real. Back when he was involved in rasslin' in the 1970's, we didn't have UFC. You're not going to push a fighting product these days and be able to compete with actual fighting.

Reactions: CDJ

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I do agree with him on a lot of things re: the silly shit in pro wrestling. I also think he goes too far in the other direction in terms of wanting to go back to pretending it's real. Back when he was involved in rasslin' in the 1970's, we didn't have UFC. You're not going to push a fighting product these days and be able to compete with actual fighting.

I was like 12 when I first started watching Wrestling and at that point I knew at a certain level it was not legit, and I had fully realized that it was the equivalent of a Rocky Movie Boxing match(or magic is another way I would like to describe it) by time I was 15-16. There is a certain level of "realism" that Wrestling now is missing that seem to get progressively worse over time due to poor booking. If they want to treat wrestling like a TV show I have 0 issues with it but how many tv shows break that imaginary 3rd wall which wrestling has done way to much in the past 20 years

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was like 12 when I first started watching Wrestling and at that point I knew at a certain level it was not legit, and I had fully realized that it was the equivalent of a Rocky Movie Boxing match(or magic is another way I would like to describe it) by time I was 15-16. There is a certain level of "realism" that Wrestling now is missing that seem to get progressively worse over time due to poor booking. If they want to treat wrestling like a TV show I have 0 issues with it but how many tv shows break that imaginary 3rd wall which wrestling has done way to much in the past 20 years
Right, like, I want the characters, and the gimmicks, and the entrances, and the pageantry because that's what separates it from a shoot but when they start in with that wacky Bliss/Orton/Wyatt shit, for example, it's like "oh, we're not even trying anymore."

The best description of wrestling I've ever heard is that it's a tv show about a wrestling show. Ideally you maintain both. I like Bray Wyatt the character because this is not a guy I'm going to see doing boxing or MMA. But at the same time, I don't feel Bray Wyatt has ever cared about winning a wrestling match and that's where they lose me.

Or let's say Dexter Lumis. I like him. He legitimately feels menacing and he's done some entertaining stuff. I don't think he's damaged yet because he literally hasn't said a word and we don't know his motivations.

He has to talk eventually, and when he does, I guarantee you it will be some cryptic spooki shit that doesn't mean anything and they'll never acknowledge that the character competes in a kayfabe sport like they never did with Wyatt.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The thing I find hilarious is that he grew up on Memphis Wrestling that was looked down upon by many in the business as hokey and unrealistic (if you drew in Memphis it wasn't taken seriously in many territories). But it was still amazing and drew tons of money, sad Corny can't see the similarities between how people viewed Memphis being the same as he views modern wrestling (and both are wrong).

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
it’s definitely a lot

I prefer it to WWE tbh, it’s more organic. It has plenty of flaws and I don’t think Tony Khan is a great booker but for the most part it’s entertaining and they aim to please their fan base

Does Tony Khan actually book? I thought he's just the money behind it while Omega, Cody and the Bucks are booking.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Does Tony Khan actually book? I thought he's just the money behind it while Omega, Cody and the Bucks are booking.

They have influence but I’m fairly certain Khan is the lead booker (or the modern day equivalent to a lead booker, whatever that is)

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dustin is moving better than he’s ever moved

Wardlow is a better talker than I anticipated

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
A couple of things. I love the chemistry between Penelope Ford and Kris Statlander. If there's a feud that has the potential to match Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker, this is the one. Ford and Statlander work quite well together. If AEW is smart, they're going to take advantage of that. Miro is looking like the menacing monster he was initially booked to be during his time in the e. He should continue his elevation and yes, he should be booked as a legitimate threat to Kenny. Forget about Darby. It's time to aim high with Miro. I love how they're building up The Factory. Nick Comorato reminds me of Bruiser Brody and if done right, he and Wardlow should be the standard bearers of how big men work. As well, Anthony Ogogo's booking looks really good so far. He's going to be a star if they do it right. Kudos to that. And finally, there should be no doubt that The Pinnacle and the Inner Circle are the best run factions in the company. Jericho and MJF need to be commended for their work so far and dare I say it, MJF looks like he can carry a company if given the opportunity.

As for the bad from AEW, I can't stand Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks and the Good Brothers. It feels so forced, like a Roman Reigns face push. It just doesn't work. If Kenny would have done things on his own, I could probably get behind that. But this whole thing is just a waste of time. It's kind of like Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page. I just don't get the pairing. There's no story line behind it. It's just really random and forced. I'm also tired of the 'superstar' gimmick of Cody coming in to save the day at the very last minute. And one last thing - why are they wasting Lance Archer? He should be a monster machine and they have no idea how to use him. He should be the big man that Wardlow and Comorato try to knock off, but they've blown it. It might be time to take him off TV and repackage him.

There's some good with AEW, no doubt. But some of it is really bad, like WCW towards the end bad. They're making mistakes that simply shouldn't be made. They really need someone on the booking committee who's going to be the final say and they need someone who can identify who to build around and who's going to be used to elevate those. I don't see that happening and it's starting to become a fustercluck. This might be the time to have Jim Ross come out from behind the commentary desk and let him run the booking of the company. He might be the one guy that could get them to straighten out story lines and help book better stories. Let him be the final say on everything.

Reactions: Jussi and Kaner9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad