AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Truthfully, I have gained just a bit as well since quarantine. Maybe 3 pounds max. My physical fitness doesn't have squat to do with my career though.

I haven't noticed the extra weight, or general dough-factor on the rosters having any impact on the wrestling...until last night. Hager was never expected to put on a 5 star match, but he should at least be serviceable.
My wife walked in during the Omega/Moxley title match last month and the first thing she said was, and I quote, "did they stop going to the gym during quarantine?" They haven't gotten fat, but the tone is missing.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My wife walked in during the Omega/Moxley title match last month and the first thing she said was, and I quote, "did they stop going to the gym during quarantine?" They haven't gotten fat, but the tone is missing.

lol very true. A lot of guys lost that definition. Easy schedule only filming 1 night a week for most of them. Everybody stuck at home otherwise. It's inevitable.

Reactions: Khelandros

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Was that supposed to be a heel turn for the Young Bucks? If so, that was weak.

On top of that, was that an "invasion"? Looks like they treated it as such to some degree, albeit really weakly. I think AEW has potential for more interesting angles.

I still think they need more singles belts. At least 1-2 more, but make them for more mid card guys. Of the two belts, only Omega of the four guys "in contention" last night should really even be in the picture. I'm fine with others getting their eventually, but build them up a bit more slowly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
On top of that, was that an "invasion"? Looks like they treated it as such to some degree, albeit really weakly. I think AEW has potential for more interesting angles.

I still think they need more singles belts. At least 1-2 more, but make them for more mid card guys. Of the two belts, only Omega of the four guys "in contention" last night should really even be in the picture. I'm fine with others getting their eventually, but build them up a bit more slowly.
I hate when there are too many titles.

One world title, one midcard title, one tag title (you can make one for each gender if you build up enough women) and one women's title is all you should have.

The last thing I'd ever want to see is them becoming WWE with 14 titles between Raw, Smackdown, and NXT.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
This week's Dynamite was the first time I ever saw The Acclaimed other than a backstage attack. I got hooked on them after that rap promo. Then I've been looking up other rap promos they (well just Max Caster, but his partner reacts well) have done in AEW. These guys are awesome. And I love their entrance music.

Caster does a better job at that than Cena did.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not a fan of the Brodie Lee Jr stuff. Nothing against the kid of course and I'm fine with him being behind the scenes, but it's a bit much. Also, I can't stand that Angelico guy. I don't like anything about him from his look, his attire to the way he carries himself... Jack Evans was pretty funny in that Dark match, but Angelico...

I hate when there are too many titles.

One world title, one midcard title, one tag title (you can make one for each gender if you build up enough women) and one women's title is all you should have.

The last thing I'd ever want to see is them becoming WWE with 14 titles between Raw, Smackdown, and NXT.

That's why I said 1-2. IMO 1 is needed for sure, but would hold off on a second title. While they don't have to hold a title all the time and they've had their runs, I think you need guys like Cody, Jericho, MJF and Moxley in the title picture and they all currently don't seem to be. I think the roster is there to support it too and they'll probably add more talent to the roster.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not a fan of the Brodie Lee Jr stuff. Nothing against the kid of course and I'm fine with him being behind the scenes, but it's a bit much. Also, I can't stand that Angelico guy. I don't like anything about him from his look, his attire to the way he carries himself... Jack Evans was pretty funny in that Dark match, but Angelico...

That's why I said 1-2. IMO 1 is needed for sure, but would hold off on a second title. While they don't have to hold a title all the time and they've had their runs, I think you need guys like Cody, Jericho, MJF and Moxley in the title picture and they all currently don't seem to be. I think the roster is there to support it too and they'll probably add more talent to the roster.
OK I am going to try and respond to this in a calm matter without flipping out or getting very angry: They are doing this to give this poor kid who just lost his father (who was beloved by everyone in the company and the entire industry) happiness when dealing with the most horrible thing any kid could possibly have to go through.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah.. I won't act like I don't get what @les Habs is saying. We use wrestling as escapism so sometimes its hard when we watch and we get that remembrance of the pain and you just go "Ugh... i tuned in to get away."

But in reality they put a smile on a kid's face who lost his father. Think about that. That is crazy. That kid could have been in a deep dark place. When i saw that smile he had after his kendo stick spot... wow. That is remarkable.

Reactions: CDJ

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Let me clarify. My thought process was two-fold. On the one hand I don't think he can do it forever. Not that he will either, but I think he needs to have a "normal" life at some point like going to school, playing with his friends, etc. I would hate to see him get lost in all of this and then get disappointed down the road if the rug gets pulled out from under him. Also though, and I'm not psychologist nor am I his parent, but I think he needs to mourn. Not that he hasn't, I don't know, but I this will be life changing event for him considering his age. On the one hand you want him to be happy, but I just fear it's not realistic for him if this keeps happening week in/week out. Anyway, I'm not his parent so who am I to say? I actually like what he's done. Loved it when he did that third eye thing or whatever about Luther. That was hilarious. And I'd actually would love to see him do a BTEsque Dark Order segment where he just lays into the guys like his father did.

@sabremike You don't have to explain to me about Huber. I've posted a lot in the tribute thread. He was a top 3-5 guy for me in terms of current wrestlers. I've been re-watching the tributes and BTE segments over and over again, at least five times in some cases.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I've never watched one episode of a game or reality TV show going back to Regis' Who wants to be a millionaire? Like all true AEW fans I dvred Go-Big Show. ;) I'm looking forward to getting stupid with Cody, Snoop, Rosario, and Jennifer Nettles. ;)

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Think it's safe to say Team Taz is nothing more than glorified meathead jobbers that'll never win any legitimate titles in AEW, and will just pass around Taz's pretend belt. Ricky Starks couldn't beat Darby Allen, Brian Cage couldn't beat Darby Allen, and we all know Will Hobbs (never going to call him "Powerhouse") will never beat Darby Allen.

I know you need midcarders who look threatening but don't mean anything in the big picture, but given all the time they put promoting Taz and his crew, their inability to win when it matters means that you shouldn't take them as threats when you know they're going to lose.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I wouldn’t count out big things for Cage or Starks quite yet. Especially Starks

They really shouldn’t have a 60 year old come out and embarrass them every week tho

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wouldn’t count out big things for Cage or Starks quite yet. Especially Starks

They really shouldn’t have a 60 year old come out and embarrass them every week tho

Sting is being used in an okay way... but yeah those are BIG boys out there being scared for no reason. They would wreck house on Sting.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
But in kayfabe?

In kayfabe, Sting is this absolute legend and a force of nature, but for these big slabs of meat to turn tail and run every time snow begins to fall while threatening "Next time... NEXT TIME you won't be so lucky!"... I could buy it once or twice, but it's now a broken record where it happens every single time.

They come off as chickens, which is the opposite of how you are trying to build a heel faction of strongmen. They should be thwarted by their own hubris rather than panic when it gets chilly.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
In kayfabe, Sting is this absolute legend and a force of nature, but for these big slabs of meat to turn tail and run every time snow begins to fall while threatening "Next time... NEXT TIME you won't be so lucky!"... I could buy it once or twice, but it's now a broken record where it happens every single time.

They come off as chickens, which is the opposite of how you are trying to build a heel faction of strongmen. They should be thwarted by their own hubris rather than panic when it gets chilly.

tenor.gif

Because no heel faction has ever been scared of Sting before.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
tenor.gif

Because no heel faction has ever been scared of Sting before.

I think you're missing my point.

They should recognize the threat of Sting, but should still be beaten by him when one of their own (Hobbs, most likely) jumps and leaves them vulnerable, for example. Constantly balking every time he shows up and whining about how unfair it is when he appears, even though you're too afraid to confront him, even with the numbers advantage, does little for you besides make you look like cowards. Given what Team Taz is meant to be, cowardly isn't the end goal.

Also, the nWo were the biggest threat on WCW, complete with the guy in charge on their side. Taz complains on an infrequent basis about his belt having no recognition or his grievances never being listened to... and he's sort of right. As a heel, his argument is supposed to be invalid, but before Sting showed up, you could make the case his guys were being held down.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jericho’s in-ring work has really fallen off a cliff

he’s gonna kill himself trying a lionsault. After the one tonight I wonder if he’s gonna remove that from the playbook. Match got sloppy as hell but the finish was good

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Jericho’s in-ring work has really fallen off a cliff

he’s gonna kill himself trying a lionsault. After the one tonight I wonder if he’s gonna remove that from the playbook. Match got sloppy as hell but the finish was good

Yeah - he's lucky he didn't break his neck tonight. :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->