AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Rumor is they are retiring the current design of the TNT championship and giving it to Brodie's kid. If well done.

Khan handed him the title and said he was the TNT Champion forever. To me it sounded like they were retiring the belt and it belongs to Brodie Jr.

I’m almost expecting a totally new belt in the coming months. They can call it the TNT Dynamite Champion or something.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
There can’t be any questioning the difference between how AEW conducts business and how other promotions do it. I said this day 1, and doubled down after attending the second Dynamite show, there is no doubt in my mind that they care. They care to grow the company sure, but they care about everyone’s success and they care to deliver a fun product catering to their fans. They get it. I don’t know how else to describe it. They just get it.

Reactions: CDJ

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Haven’t watched pro wrestling in years. When I heard about Brodie Lee’s passing on the weekend, I had to tune in to this week’s Dynamite.

What a beautiful show. AEW should be very proud of him and how they honoured him. The tribute at the end broke me. Life isn’t f***ing fair.

RIP Jon Huber

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
AEW did well with the tribute show. Struck the right tone for me. I don't think that the Dark Order should be in line for a bit push or anything but for one show that was solid. That was also one show where it would have been great to have fans in attendance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkman

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I have to echo the opinions of everyone else in this thread: the tribute show was wonderful. Tony Khan and everyone else involved deserve all the praise they've received in the last two days.

So many memorable moments: Lance Archer dressing in Luke Harper ring gear, Erik Rowan fighting back the tears as he he held up his sign, and the whole sequence between MJF and Brodie's son. I wasn't sure where it was headed with he started yelling at the kid, but the ending was worth it.

Also very glad to hear Jericho state on the air that Brodie's wife and children would be looked after.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If AEW just simply keeps pushing with long storylines and consistent work.. they will grow and grow and grow. More and more WWE fans will come over. More and more wrestling fans will give it a shot. They have VERY talented young guys. Their "in prime" guys have like 5-10 years still. All they simply have to do is STAY the course.

Reactions: CDJ and Hawkman

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’re simply a better product at this point and it’s starting to reflect in the 18-49 demo

not saying they’re perfect- but they listen to their fans and it’s a much more organic product

I think Page-MJF will ultimately be this generations Rock-Austin. It will never be of THAT magnitude- nothing will be ever again I reckon- but if they continue to build these guys properly it will be the best thing going in this hemisphere....I don’t want to speak to Japanese wrestling as that’s not my forte

Hell we will probably see NJPW in AEW this year anyway

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from today's pwinsider.com:

Wednesday night's edition of AEW Dynamite featured a show-long tribute to the late Jon Huber (Brodie Lee). According to a report from the Pro Wrestling Torch, the show drew 977,000 viewers on the night, which was a large increase over what the show drew one week earlier (775,000). The number was also significantly higher than the viewership that WWE NXT drew over on the USA Network head to head (586,000). Due to the nature of the show, AEW was expected to win the viewership battle on the night in dramatic fashion.

In the coveted 18-49 age group ratings demographic, AEW Dynamite drew a 0.40 rating, which was up from the 0.32 the broadcast last week did. NXT did a 0.12 rating in this demo.

Reactions: TD Charlie

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
They’re simply a better product at this point and it’s starting to reflect in the 18-49 demo

not saying they’re perfect- but they listen to their fans and it’s a much more organic product

I think Page-MJF will ultimately be this generations Rock-Austin. It will never be of THAT magnitude- nothing will be ever again I reckon- but if they continue to build these guys properly it will be the best thing going in this hemisphere....I don’t want to speak to Japanese wrestling as that’s not my forte

Hell we will probably see NJPW in AEW this year anyway

I agree that they clearly have the best young (under 30) stars on the men’s side in wrestling what they need to do is find more guys that can float in and out do the top scene as well so programs don’t get boring aka find their Kane, HHH,Kurt angle etc.

You need more than just two big names to make it work.

oh and fix their women’s division because at this point they need to get that in gear soon

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I agree that they clearly have the best young (under 30) stars on the men’s side in wrestling what they need to do is find more guys that can float in and out do the top scene as well so programs don’t get boring aka find their Kane, HHH,Kurt angle etc.

You need more than just two big names to make it work.

oh and fix their women’s division because at this point they need to get that in gear soon

yeah the women’s division is just not good, that’s where the WWE still spanks them

I do like Britt baker a lot though

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
yeah the women’s division is just not good, that’s where the WWE still spanks them

I do like Britt baker a lot though

Well the talent in the wee women’s division spanks them; their usage brings it a lot closer cause there’s way too much Nia Jax and Lana on my tv

I do wonder how much the loss of the Japanese women has effected their women’s division plans but at this point they need to pivot to figure it out anyway

Reactions: CDJ

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wtf happened to Swagger/Hager? He is so slow and not good. The dude has one heck of a run in WWE 10 years ago. He was fast and had great wrestling moves.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wtf happened to Swagger/Hager? He is so slow and not good. The dude has one heck of a run in WWE 10 years ago. He was fast and had great wrestling moves.
I mean... he's 6'7, almost 300 pounds and nearing 40 years old. It's not surprising to me whatsoever that he's slowing down.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

looks to me like the easier schedule let him totally fall off the wagon. He just doesn’t look like he’s in shape whatsoever.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
looks to me like the easier schedule let him totally fall off the wagon. He just doesn’t look like he’s in shape whatsoever.
This is how I feel about 60% of the male roster. They all seem to be packing on weight..

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This is how I feel about 60% of the male roster. They all seem to be packing on weight..

Truthfully, I have gained just a bit as well since quarantine. Maybe 3 pounds max. My physical fitness doesn't have squat to do with my career though.

I haven't noticed the extra weight, or general dough-factor on the rosters having any impact on the wrestling...until last night. Hager was never expected to put on a 5 star match, but he should at least be serviceable.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Was that supposed to be a heel turn for the Young Bucks? If so, that was weak.

I THINK that heel turn happened a long ass time ago when they were super kicking reporters backstage. They've done a decent job of putting them over as heels in one segment and then pretending like nothing happened 15 minutes later. I'm half expecting the Bucks to play the babyface role next week again, pretending like they didn't just join the Good Brothers and Kenny/Callis last night.

It's been a strange, slow burn heel turn, and I'm still not entirely sure it happened. I think it did, but I'm not sure. AEW blurs the lines a lot of the time anyway, so as long as the best are put in compelling matches I will watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->