AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
triple thumbs down on that

Honestly to me this was a disaster of a PPV (again, outside of the Archer and the outcome of the tag title match)

The Matt Hardy shit makes up a large amount of my disdain for it. The decision on the title match is stupid too. Just don’t have MJF go for the title yet if this is what they were gonna do, now they made him look like a total clown.

Jericho/Orange Cassidy was negative 2 stars. Both guys can work, I’m not saying that. Stupid f***ing match.

Good to see Matt Sydal in AEW, bad to see him immediately botch a SSP and become the most memorable part of the battle royal. At least they had the right guy win

The dark order looks like a bunch of chumps. I can never figure out their booking. One week they are the prime NWO, the next they are the Job Squad.

I need to bring up the Matt Hardy thing again though. The fact AEW let him continue was perhaps the most negligent thing I’ve ever seen in the wrestling business from a company that is on TV. For a company that prides itself in caring about their wrestlers they certainly did a poor job of making that apparent

PPV score: D-

I didn’t even realize they said Hardy passed concussion protocol. They need to be barbecued for this. Alvarez is saying the right things about it, Meltzer is predictably condemning them and making excuses for them at the same time. If Vince pulled this he would be talking nonstop about how out of touch he is

I'm probably going to pick through this show tonight... doesn't sound good. If it is bad I'd rather it be spectacularly bad than just plain old bad for the sake of entertainment.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm probably going to pick through this show tonight... doesn't sound good. If it is bad I'd rather it be spectacularly bad than just plain old bad for the sake of entertainment.

It’s exciting bad in that there are multiple botches where you think somebody legitimately died

I guess it was humid, that’s why Sydal botched. Couldn’t get his footing. Hilarious way to join the company, glad he’s not dead or paralyzed

The Matt Hardy stuff is enough to ruin the whole show imo but it wasn’t even good if you exclude that

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think MJF shoulda won the belt but I am biased. Big MJF fan.

Kinda remind me of the Miz. Little bit. In terms of promo. Needs bit more work in ring wise I admit.

Reactions: TD Charlie

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’re taking somebody who should be the cornerstone of their company and turning him into a punchline

Although I guess if the plan was to have Archer get the next shot it was probably best for Moxley to retain. Jake Roberts is Moxley’s favorite so I’m sure he’s going to like this program and deliver some good matches

I would like them to put Archer over and have Jake being Jake every week but I don’t see that happening

Moxley just doesn’t really do a whole lot for me.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't think that that was a terrible show but it wasn't very good. Factoring in the current situation with crowds I'd call it just passable.

I enjoy Baker for her promos but they should probably just avoid having her in matches or pseudo matches for now. Let her fully recover and improve.

Young Bucks match was your standard version of their matches so it pretty much depends on what you think of them. I strongly dislike them so I disliked the match. Not a fan of Jurassic Express either. Having the Young Bucks act heelish is probably a good choice.

I enjoyed the battle royale for what it was. A far cry from the abysmal first (unofficially AEW) battle royale. Unfortunate about Sydal but even worse that Archer won. Still the match did a decent job of furthering some of the angles just a little bit. Kingston was an interesting choice to end up in the final two though he wouldn't be a great winner either.

Hardy and Guevara was trending alright but obviously the second half of the match wasn't great. I didn't think that Hardy looked as out of it as some people online seem to believe and don't have an issue with them continuing the match. The ending bump was poor but I imagine it was quite rushed. I do like Guevara working with Hardy for now.

I enjoyed Shida vs Thunder Rosa. Both are solid wrestlers and the match was paced well. Rosa is better than the vst majority of AEW's women.

The Authority vs Dark Order was alright, though the Rhodes group is clearly heels and Cardona really does suck. Sky should have been used more, especially over Cardona. I'm torn on how AEW books the Dark Order. It's never going to look like a serious threat with the back and forth booking it receives, but then again not every stable needs to be a serious threat at the main event level. It's basically Raven's Flock at this point and that's probably all it will ever be. Credit to Dustin and his late career resurgence as well.

The FTR match was disappointing due to who was involved, but the ending was correct. It was kind of boring but worked for the ending. It's good that the best tag team in the company has the titles and Omega and Page can go back to singles, where they are pretty badly needed by AEW. The biggest plus is that their championship run is over, as it was way too long for two guys who very clearly remained singles wrestlers despite their title. I don't care at all about what happens with Omega and his pals.

Jericho vs Cassidy was a waste of Jericho and time in general. Unfortunate that Jericho isn't being used to boost far better wrestlers.

MJF vs Moxey was pretty much as expected. Neither is great in the ring but they had a decent showing. I'd have liked to see MJF go unbeaten for longer due to some sort of shady ending here, tough not have him win the title yet, and Moxley sort of cheating doesn't cover it for me. Hopefully AEW keeps MJF trending generally upward despite the loss. Moxley's run stumbling along was probably the right decision even if it isn't ideal.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hardy and Guevara was trending alright but obviously the second half of the match wasn't great. I didn't think that Hardy looked as out of it as some people online seem to believe and don't have an issue with them continuing the match. The ending bump was poor but I imagine it was quite rushed. I do like Guevara working with Hardy for now.

If you watch when he first hit his head, he was completely locked up. There's no way they should've re-started that after stopping it. It actually comes off worse than if Guevara would've just f***ed around while they gave him some recovery time.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Rusev/Miro debuted tonight

great acquisition

Strange way to bring him into the company, I def would have chosen something different

Also they made MJF more of a dickhead heel and added some context to the Wardlow relationship. I thought the segment was great at getting MJF his heat back as a spoiled brat kid.

Also I love that Eddie Kingston is on national television

Ricky Starks is great

has the hybrid 2 ever won? Poor Jack Evans and Angelico are booked weaker than Marko Stunt smdh

Lastly they need to not let Archer talk

Some compelling stuff, I may have to watch weekly again

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
How long before AEW starts smoking Raw? It's seriously coming.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Miro is a Twitch streamer.

If Ziggler would man up and quit being such a company man, he could go to AEW and be Miro's caddy again.

kerwin-1477825948-800.jpg

Reactions: CDJ

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm surprised by how well Kingston and Starks have fit in with AEW. Pretty good promos so far. I'm particularly glad for Starks seemingly finding a decent spot as I really liked him in the NWA.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Private Party is getting better imo

Eddie Kingston is still the man

naturally I missed the street fight between Santana/Ortiz and Best Friends- apparently that’s getting great reviews. I’ll have to see for myself

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
TSN5 aired AEW Late Night Dynamite tonight at 10 pm Pacific. Not sure if it was a one time only thing as the show does not appear on next week's schedule on the TSN site or on the zap2it website listings. :dunno:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Mostly good, MJF and Jericho were great

They gave the comedy gimmick more offensive against Lee than their top baby face. They let the vanilla midget hit the monster heel with an air raid crash

Miro match was hot garbaj but I’ll blame Jelly Nutella for that

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've enjoyed some AEW. It's far from perfect. Sometimes a little too Nitro for me. Ultimately it's a good show. NXT moving to live TV is the absolute worst. The f***ing worst. It has ruined my favorite show. :( :(

Reactions: DaaaaB's and CDJ

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The MJF-Inner Circle stuff is interesting

Regardless of what ends up happening there, it's nice having Jericho, MJF, Guevara in the same place. An MJF-Jericho feud down the road could be good, with Jericho as the face. The Inner Circle has cooled a bit but it still holds interest with me.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and CDJ

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
TSN looks at AEW celebrating 30 Years of Chris Jericho. :thumbu:

from tsn.ca:

chris-jericho.JPG

Wednesday night’s edition of All Elite Wrestling Dynamite is slated to be a celebration of Chris Jericho’s 30th anniversary in the wrestling business and a career that has seen him main event WrestleMania, win countless world titles and become one of the biggest stars of the last three decades.

But before he was “Le Champion,” before he was “The Demo God” and before he was even Chris Jericho, he was just Chris Irvine – a kid from Winnipeg who was looking to become a professional wrestler at Calgary’s Hart Brothers’ Wrestling School in 1990.

Another student in that class was Lance Evers and he was having second thoughts about just what he was getting into.

“With wrestling camps, especially back then, you had a lot of people who were dreamers who probably had no business being in wrestling camp and I had met all of them first,” Evers, who would become pro wrestling star Lance Storm, told TSN.ca.

“I was actually second-guessing, thinking of changing my plane ticket and going home and finding a different school and I had walked out onto the fire escape of the hotel we were all staying at to decide what the hell I should do when Chris drove up. I saw another guy who looked like an athlete, a decent-sized guy, who showed up, so I basically ran down to introduce myself to him and we’ve been friends ever since. If not for meeting Chris a day or two before camp started, I might not even have been in that camp.”

Storm and Jericho would not only hit it off as friends, but also in the ring, quickly developing chemistry at the eight-week camp led by Ed Langley. The rapport between the two was evident enough that Jericho and Storm were to work their first ever match against one another – a rarity at the time in the business – in nearby Ponoka, Alta. on the evening of Oct. 2, 1990. Outside of two planned spots the pair had discussed beforehand, the plan was to call the match in the ring.

Full story: Canadian pro wrestling icon Chris Jericho continuing to evolve 30 years into his career - TSN.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->