AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's a shame that those debuts had to come in front of an empty crowd.

Lee is quite a good signing for AEW, filling in a definite roster gap in terms of size and style while it gives him a great opportunity too. I somewhat wish that they had held off on debuting him until there was a crowd but if this goes on for some time the show does have to go on.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Brodie Lee was always going to play a dark character imo, outside of that he seems different than Luke Harper. Wasn’t too surprised by the swerve but I think it’s a good fit. He gives Dork Order much needed credibility. I think I’m gonna like evil uno more now that he’s not the face of group. His promos are typically corny imo

awesome show. MJF continues to be excellent no matter his role. Jericho on the broadcast was amazing.

the show definitely went short and that’s why you saw that Jericho promo at the end....that guys incredible. He made ass clown a thing all those years ago, now he’s gonna make pumpkin-headed dipshits a thing. The inner circle flipping everybody off is a schtick that I find hilarious too. I think I’m 12.

I popped at Chuck Taylor’s promo. He said kick him in the dick on TV. Lol.

Guevara singing Judas was sensational

no marko stunt taking shine away from Jungle Boy (that match was kind of sloppy tho)

Considering the circumstances that show was an A

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The little shot they took at Vince with Lee actually amused me this time, because it wasn't too overt or distracting. I also enjoyed Lee getting a squash match in to kick things off for him.

Reactions: CDJ

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This might be TLDR, but some thoughts on AEW of late.
  • I heard on the Cornette podcast that Jericho said they don't have a booker and they just all sort of book whatever they want. Well it shows. AEW has a good enough foundation that is growing and has the potential for multiple storylines that would make sense. They're all over the place though. One week it's Elite vs Inner Circle, then it's Jurassic Express vs Inner Circle or whatever else, now all of a sudden you've got Jericho vs Hardy... they're really all over the place. I would have had the Elite vs the Inner Circle. Then you have the MJF angle come in and Cody is distracted for a month or two. Inner Circle takes advantage in the short term, but eventually Cody returns and eventually things get settled. Hell, in the meantime you could have Omega vs Jericho so that the US audience can experience it. You could build that for months. That would leave Moxley maybe out of the picture, but you could have him feud with Neville. You're still left with a tag team division, the Dark Order which could build up Darby Allin (ffs Cody just compared him to Sting) and make some storylines with whoever remains. And this is coming from someone who thought they lacked roster depth initially and it would hurt them for a while, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see who they've brought in and experience some of the other guys I was never familiar with which has changed my mind.
  • Like I've said before, I think the Dark Order angle is good idea in theory, however the execution is poor. The looks are just bad. I love Luke Harper, but Brodie Lee looks awful. His attire is horrible. If they really wanted to make a splash I would have cut his hair short, shaved his beard and given him a different look. This week's promo makes me think that even more than I did last week. Now he's in a suit eating a steak? Then change his look. It might sound nitpicky, but the look of a guy makes a big difference. Speaking of the Dark Order, in the current moment they could feud with Matt Hardy. Back to Lee though, while I love the discus lariat and he has a good set of moves, he needs a better finisher.
  • Very underwhelmed by Jake Roberts' showing so far. We know what Jake can do, but his latest promo wasn't very good. I can get over that and they can improve, but I'm not sure about this Lance Archer guy. I know next to nothing about him, but watched a match and wasn't really too impressed. I could be wrong of course, and I get using Jake to build a guy like that up, but if he's not good then it's wasted. What I would have liked was Matt Hardy being the Dark Order reveal and maybe Brodie Lee with Jake. Lee can do a really good promo on his own of course, but if you're going to pair Roberts with somebody then make it worth Jake's while.
  • Saw a few mentions of the Wyatt Family. Well I'd love to see a Wyatt Family reunion in AEW. I'd still want the booking sorted out, but there'd be a ton of potential with that. Doubt it ever happens, but stranger things...
  • Not sure why they still are bothering with the win/loss records.
  • I liked their first show in an empty arena where you had guys ringside. I think they could expand on that and rotate guys in and out depending on the match.
  • I think I've said this before, but they could use another belt. I think that would help with some of the storylines. Something like a US Champion. Maybe even a third belt.
  • Not a fan of Omega or Cody on commentary, but liked the Star Trek reaction.
  • The whole thing where multiple guys are making gestures to Brandi is just dumb. If they actually went somewhere with it or if it was in an actual match that involved Cody, then maybe it'd make sense.
That's not to say there isn't a lot I like. I wouldn't even be bothering if I didn't like it. MJF, Sammy, Jericho, Cody, Darby Allin, the fact you have factions, a real tag team division possibility. A lot to like. I just think they need to bring it together and give it more of a direction.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Brodie Lee’s jabs at Vince McMahon the last two weeks were hilarious

I also like his character and it makes me think the dark order is less lame. Part of the reason why I thought they stunk is that fat dork and beard dork were so corny. Fat dork is a dweeb. Now they are basically Brodie Lee’s lackeys. I like that a lot more.

I’m meh on Matt Hardy. Always have been. Good star power for the brand tho

I like Jake Roberts promos. Archer needs him because while he’s a great worker for a guy his size, his promos kinda stink. He more or less just growls words into a mic, idk if that’s a Japanese style promo thing or what

Cody and Jimmy Havoc went way too long

Waiting for the inevitable Trios belt

Last edited:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The AEW Champsionship is by far the best belt in pro wrestling.

I hate to say it, but Tony Schiavone should be the lead announcer from here on out. The dude still has it on the headset. JR just seems disinterested.

Jon Moxley is amazing.

Jake Roberts can still do amazing promos.

Brodie Lee needs new attire.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hate to say it, but Tony Schiavone should be the lead announcer from here on out. The dude still has it on the headset. JR just seems disinterested.

I'm quite pleased that my favourite wrestling announcer has been garnering some praise after a solid two decades of being shat on by almost everyone who had interest in wrestling.

I'll give the last show credit for at least using Stunt in close to the perfect way as Archer's punching bag basically. You'd rather him just not be there but at least he was taking a beating.

Reactions: CDJ and DaaaaB's

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
now THATS how marko stunt should be used. Good debut for Archer. Love the gimmick. Hopefully he takes out some heels too. Like maybe next time down to the ring he sucker punches and KO’s Kip Sabian standing on the outside or something...kinda like he did with the ringside doctor this time. Reinforce that “Everybody Dies” gimmick. Make him an unbeatable monster. The dude deserves it- he did things the right way. Flamed out in TNA and WWE so he went abroad and honed his craft for 10 years. Glad to see things off to a good start for him

seems like more Vince McMahon shots from Brodie Lee

the atmosphere for this show worked. I like it when they have people on the outside and it has that abandoned warehouse vibe. Way better than an empty, well-lit performance center

jake Roberts is still the man

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like how AEW is presenting Archer. I'm not convinced that he's particular good, but these matches help build him up and Roberts is doing well hyping him. I also like the use of Shida lately as they are possibly finally realizing who their useful female wrestlers are. The blood in her match was obviously surprising.

Reactions: flyersfan187

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
This was another solid show for AEW in front of no fans. Baker went from no one wanting to see her on TV to actually becoming entertaining. Good females match there. Getting Brodie will be great long term and he has always been an entertaining person to watch that can actually wrestle. And with Jericho, what can you say? I don’t know where AEW would be if they didn’t sign him and I can’t believe WWE let a talent like him get away. When he is talking everyone is listening and he never disappoints.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I like how AEW is presenting Archer. I'm not convinced that he's particular good, but these matches help build him up and Roberts is doing well hyping him. I also like the use of Shida lately as they are possibly finally realizing who their useful female wrestlers are. The blood in her match was obviously surprising.
Hikaru Shida should have been the face of the division from the start. Glad they're starting to realize it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hikaru Shida should have been the face of the division from the start. Glad they're starting to realize it.

With Shida becoming a bit more prominent and as noted above Baker doing some good work the division is becoming something other than a bad joke. It's good for the company and the show.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Not a huge Archer fan either, but he did have some good matches in Japan, but they were also against Will Ospreay and the like.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
What a weak ending to the main event. I can't stand Brandi Rhodes. The rest of the show was ok but the jobber got in way too much offense against Omega. Can't wait for shows with fans to return.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Being the Elite actually made me get back into watching AEW instead of just checking in here/there. I hate their decision to go live next week, but this is my first time seeing Archer. Holy shit. Dude has an incredible look. Been a fun show.

Jericho on commentary is mastery. He GETS wrestling. He literally sells people while being a heel. If anyone is like Heenan... it's Jericho. Between he and Nigel for the best color commentary. I really miss Nigel. SELL THE WRESTLER. Take note Graves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad