AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The Dark Order stuff isn't for me. They don't have the production value or thr name yet to pull it off. And AEW seems to loooooooooove their creepy stables.

That's what I said "idea", because I think you need the names/talent to do something like that. Perhaps a year down the road would work better after some of the guys are more established, or maybe it'd work better in an organization like WWE where you have unused roster guys. Still like the idea.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I look forward to Guevara's picture in picture cards more than anything else in AEW. Second, of course, is more Brandi Rhodes wrestling.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Outside of the women’s tag match, I thought tonight was a really strong episode.

The opening men’s 4 way tag was great.

Darby Allin is going to be a major star.

Guevara looked REALLY good in the loss. He got a ton of smooth offense in on Moxley.

Allin, same thing.

My only real gripe is the lack of pool.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The one thing that really gets to me is JR comparing Moxley to Austin too often. Even if he doesn't say his name he hints towards it. Let him be his own wrestler please.

I like the other two commentators but JR should go.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Moxley is no Austin. He's been a bit disappointing to me since arriving in AEW (and New Japan) but people make him out to be a blistering promo or something. Hopefully he keeps improving, but either way he's still very much needed in AEW given the quality of the roster.

Ross is alright for some stretches but clearly isn't fully prepared. He was the best but if he can't keep the names straight and can't bring the energy that is needed then AEW should get rid of him. I'd rather they go with two people (Exhibit and Schiavone would be fine) but Rhodes has said how he prefers three man booths. I'd rather Ross stay than see AEW bring in a Ranallo type though.

Last edited:

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
Outside of nostalgia, I don't feel that JR brings much to the booth. I'd be fine without him.

Also, I would have been fine without the endless camera pans to the bikini girl in the chair. That's 2000's WWE crap.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Outside of nostalgia, I don't feel that JR brings much to the booth. I'd be fine without him.

Also, I would have been fine without the endless camera pans to the bikini girl in the chair. That's 2000's WWE crap.

Totally agree but really shocked with how good TS is.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like unique wrestling settings. Wrestlemania 9, WCW from the Mall of America, AEW on a cruise ship.

I also agree that AEW could use a mid card belt, provided that it doesn't make the 2000s WWE or recent New Japan mistake of having top wrestlers compete for either singles title basically at random. Consistent storytelling has not been an AEW strength yet and adding a new title at least mitigates that issue a bit.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I like unique wrestling settings. Wrestlemania 9, WCW from the Mall of America, AEW on a cruise ship.

I also agree that AEW could use a mid card belt, provided that it doesn't make the 2000s WWE or recent New Japan mistake of having top wrestlers compete for either singles title basically at random. Consistent storytelling has not been an AEW strength yet and adding a new title at least mitigates that issue a bit.

Even though 9 was HORRIBLE, as a kid I rented it from the video store because it had that one of a kind outside venue. I used to love it. I totally agree about this setting.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So did the dentist girl get cut off and go to commercial on purpose because she looked to be having a breakdown or so?

I really enjoyed that promo, though I understand why most people seemingly didn't. Sounded more like a 28 year old woman getting drunk and losing it a bit than a wrestler going through the motions of a typical heel promo. I'm not sure that that is what they were going for but I'm good with it.

Reactions: flyersfan187

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I really enjoyed that promo, though I understand why most people seemingly didn't. Sounded more like a 28 year old woman getting drunk and losing it a bit than a wrestler going through the motions of a typical heel promo. I'm not sure that that is what they were going for but I'm good with it.

I liked it as well. I just think they might have cut it on purpose. Hard to say. Plus, I’m glad they got Priscilla now because they needed to add a bit of hotness to the division. She would be solid with Brandi.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Might be one of my favourite wrestling shows of all-time. It’s up there with Nitro (95-98) and Saturday Night’s Main Event (85-92). I look forward to it every week.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Might be one of my favourite wrestling shows of all-time. It’s up there with Nitro (95-98) and Saturday Night’s Main Event (85-92). I look forward to it every week.

Not that you said they are the same or anything, but there is a touch of the Nitro vibe with AEW.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Not that you said they are the same or anything, but there is a touch of the Nitro vibe with AEW.

Absolutely. Dynamite is produced by the same guy who produced Nitro. Plus there’s the Tony Schiavone connection.

I was completely done with wrestling until I checked out Double or Nothing in May 2019. Pretty much instantly became a wrestling fan again.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Absolutely. Dynamite is produced by the same guy who produced Nitro. Plus there’s the Tony Schiavone connection.

I was completely done with wrestling until I checked out Double or Nothing in May 2019. Pretty much instantly became a wrestling fan again.

Schiavone was always my favourite announcer even when he was regarded by many as a joke in the late 90s and beyond. I'm glad that he's come back to wrestling and is doing pretty well. I'd be happy if AEW built up some of the Nitro-esque elements going forward.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

That would be my exact hope. Other talent competing for a belt thus creating a storyline. However that hasn't really been the case much at all with the other belts so that's probably misplaced.

I quite like it myself and I loved Nitro back then. I actually watched both Dynamite and NXT this week and it was interesting to compare them. I felt as though the actual wrestling on NXT was better, but I generally preferred the roster on AEW. Either way both are good and have taken my interest in wrestling from reliving the past on YouTube to at least checking highlights every week.

Schiavone was always my favourite announcer even when he was regarded by many as a joke in the late 90s and beyond. I'm glad that he's come back to wrestling and is doing pretty well. I'd be happy if AEW built up some of the Nitro-esque elements going forward.

I liked the WCW Nitro crew. Schiavone, Tenay, Zbysko and of course the Brain. I also like JR with Lawler too. Not really into the newer guys at all.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Schiavone, Tenay and Zybysko together is guaranteed to make me fall asleep. Something about their voices together is very dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->