All Elite Wrestling #1: AEW announced TV deal with TNT, partners with B/R Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
So who are the main eventers looking like in this promotion so far?

I assume Omega, Jericho, Rhodes, and Poc(?). Anyone else?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Yeah im just a little worried that they're starting live right away. TNA had opportunities to be competitive and squandered it... you only get 1 first impression so they've got to nail this. I do think in terms of viewership they can challenge WWE if they do this right. Not saying revenue wise or brand wise they can challenge them but the audience is not hungry for something different

I think that's part of the reason why JR is going to play a huge role in the company. If it's one thing the man knows, it's wrestling and he knows what does and doesn't work. It also helps that he has a very keen eye for talent and that he'll be a big voice on the booking committee. I'm just waiting to see who the road agents are going to be and who composes the booking committee. I hope Cody and company are smart enough to realize that they can't be on the booking committee though because the optics of that will be awful to the wrestling fan. Let JR and company do their thing and trust the committee.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that's part of the reason why JR is going to play a huge role in the company. If it's one thing the man knows, it's wrestling and he knows what does and doesn't work. It also helps that he has a very keen eye for talent and that he'll be a big voice on the booking committee. I'm just waiting to see who the road agents are going to be and who composes the booking committee. I hope Cody and company are smart enough to realize that they can't be on the booking committee though because the optics of that will be awful to the wrestling fan. Let JR and company do their thing and trust the committee.

I saw a Khan interview where they discussed Ross. It sounds like he has a lot of respect for Ross, even citing being a big fan of his work from Mid South wrestling and of his general wrestling experience. I don't know if he's going to be involved in booking though, and to be honest I'm not sure that he should be. If he's motivated and involved with the product I think that he could still be a quality announcer though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I saw a Khan interview where they discussed Ross. It sounds like he has a lot of respect for Ross, even citing being a big fan of his work from Mid South wrestling and of his general wrestling experience. I don't know if he's going to be involved in booking though, and to be honest I'm not sure that he should be. If he's motivated and involved with the product I think that he could still be a quality announcer though.

Jim Ross should exclusively be involved with their broadcasting/production

Have him be on Gorilla for the weekly shows, and put him behind the desk for the PPV's.

Heck, wasn't he VP of Talent Relations for WWE before Larengitis took over? He could perhaps help in that regard if needed, though I think the Bucks, Cody and Omega are sorta gonna share that role together.

Reactions: Fro

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Jim Ross should exclusively be involved with their broadcasting/production

Have him be on Gorilla for the weekly shows, and put him behind the desk for the PPV's.

Heck, wasn't he VP of Talent Relations for WWE before Larengitis took over? He could perhaps help in that regard if needed, though I think the Bucks, Cody and Omega are sorta gonna share that role together.

Yeah I agree. Ross was the VP of talent relations for quite a while before Big Johnny and was pretty well regarded in that role. I do think that there is a risk in having some of the wrestlers have too much control in personnel matters. Even if they do a great job there will inevitably be wrestlers who feel that they are biased. Certainly those guys are going to be heavily involved regardless of title though.

Reactions: Cor

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah I agree. Ross was the VP of talent relations for quite a while before Big Johnny and was pretty well regarded in that role. I do think that there is a risk in having some of the wrestlers have too much control in personnel matters. Even if they do a great job there will inevitably be wrestlers who feel that they are biased. Certainly those guys are going to be heavily involved regardless of title though.

Yeah, perhaps it's wise to give Ross that role, and obviously with large input from Cody, Bucks, Omega, Page, Khan.

Like, when Ross did it with the WWE, obviously Vince and others also gave their input as well, so it'd be similar.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Solid promos by the Rhodes brothers, much better than the foolish NWA title chase. I like the ambition to go right at big storylines, though it's too bad that they don't have TV yet.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Just watched the promos. Incredible stuff.

where can you find the promos? edit: think I found something

Yeah those two promos sold me on this match already, not that they were the greatest promos in the world they were definitely good, but hell when I am stuck watching what the WWE shovels out, this is a complete breath of fresh air.

"I am not here to kill Dustin Rhodes, I am here to kill the Attitude Era." Perfect.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
where can you find the promos? edit: think I found something

Yeah those two promos sold me on this match already, not that they were the greatest promos in the world they were definitely good, but hell when I am stuck watching what the WWE shovels out, this is a complete breath of fresh air.

"I am not here to kill Dustin Rhodes, I am here to kill the Attitude Era." Perfect.
And it makes complete sense for someone from Cody's generation to want kill it off and they didn't do the lazy thing of fighting over their father

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
mind blown that people wanna see Goldust vs Cody match in 2019.
its not a critic. its a praise to AEW. the promos are really good, but when you have Fenix, Omega and the Bucks this is just two terrible wrestlers.
shows how fun the direction will be.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
its not a critic. its a praise to AEW. the promos are really good, but when you have Fenix, Omega and the Bucks this is just two terrible wrestlers.

People pretty much always buy in more due to stories and promos than in ring work. Hopefully AEW will have a good mix. The Rhodes match may not be great given that it's the 2019 version of Dustin, but at least the promos make it seem interesting.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i guess... but i dont.
i wont deny a great build will hype people up. but i dont speak japanesse and look foward great matches when announced.

i watch wrestling. give me wrestling.
this is why im excited about AEW..... i know it wont be sports entertainment

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yea we know though we will get better wrestling than wwe but this is showing we can get better stories and equal production as wwe. There’s a reason to be excited for this

Oct 18, 2011
But it's not Goldust. It's Dustin, the modern fan only knows him as Goldust

I think based on the promos that Dustin is the baby face, while Cody is the heel that also uses bits of truth in what he says
Also Cody name dropped Punk in his promo, coincidence?

Reactions: Fro

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The only slightly concerning thing for me is we still have no idea where to watch this event and were into May, and what the cost is going to be. Get on that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad