All Elite Wrestling #1: AEW announced TV deal with TNT, partners with B/R Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AEW fans are fans of AEW entirely because they’re fans of the Elite. That’s why it’s All Elite Wrestling.

If I had a concern about that it would be that the top talent in the company are also juggling managerial positions and when that may become too much. The only person they’ve made it known that they’ve hired to be a non-talent is Billy Gunn.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
AEW fans are fans of AEW entirely because they’re fans of the Elite. That’s why it’s All Elite Wrestling.

If I had a concern about that it would be that the top talent in the company are also juggling managerial positions and when that may become too much. The only person they’ve made it known that they’ve hired to be a non-talent is Billy Gunn.

Sure are a lot of "non-talents" in WWE, too. Can't we share the wealth? :sarcasm:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If this thing really takes off, there's going to be a lot of butterfly effect hindsight that will be very interesting to dissect. I mean, there's any number of things that happened that was a case of Vince and WWE being too proud compared to the vast number of things they try to do to make sure everyone else is held down.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm just hopeful that they stop being complacent now that there may well be viable competition in the works. Might lead to some better storylines and better programming, from the powers that be, just to keep viewers interested.

Intergender matches between Dean Ambrose and Nia Jax just doesn't cut it, IMO. :laugh:

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
because Nia sucks. intergender matches, like many of them do in the indys, can be pretty fun.

-Fenix botched a move last night apparantly and landed on his neck. matched stopped and he was stretched out.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As Disclose said - it's the fact that Nia sucks. The best thing to do is take one of your best women's wrestlers and let them WRESTLE a good 15-20 minute match with a good male wrestler. That is what fans like to see. They don't want to see Nia move like a glacier and possibly hurt people. We want to see good fast pace action.

Honestly Flair could have really nailed this gimmick. She could have believed she was so good that she started challenging guys. Ambrose/Flair would be so dope if Ambrose was a bit psychotic. Flair could have been over the top cocky. The match could have been actually good. Then it makes intergender matches so much fun.

I'm one of the few that really love those type of matches. Let 2 people wrestle a hell of a match and it is good no matter what.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The last time they made a female wrestler look good against male wrestlers (outside of Becky slapping HHH, or Ronda at WM the first time), was Kharma in the Rumble.

She was even bigger than Nia, physically, but WWE at least built her up the right way, chose to keep the mic away from her, and she wasn't universally hated for multiple botches like Nia is. Such a shame she had to ruin that push by having a kid. Or trying to, anyway. :help:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't see why WWE thinks only the large obese women are the ones who can compete with Men.

As others have said, Charlotte could put on a hell of an intergendered match. Heck, Natalya probably could as well.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That said, if WWE feels they can put on an intergender match that'll actually entertain the fans, here's the bar:

:sarcasm:

Can't seem to find the full match on YouTube anymore, might've been pulled. But damn if that's not impressive. He made her look good, AND kept her safe the entire match.

Somewhat better than "Nicolas's Wrestlemania moment", methinks.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That said, if WWE feels they can put on an intergender match that'll actually entertain the fans, here's the bar:

Can't seem to find the full match on YouTube anymore, might've been pulled. But damn if that's not impressive. He made her look good, AND kept her safe the entire match.

The hilarious thing is, Braun has no apparent angle heading into Mania.

It would be hilarious if they did a Braun & Nicholas squash match again. Maybe not for the titles this time though lmao

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Men vs women matches are a terrible idea outside of specific angles, but I have to admit that I do very much enjoy that matchup between Kenny Omega and Haruka. I read a year or two ago that she took up wrestling again but I don't know if it's true. I would legitimately pop for a Haruka run-in on Omega.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Men vs women matches are a terrible idea outside of specific angles, but I have to admit that I do very much enjoy that matchup between Kenny Omega and Haruka. I read a year or two ago that she took up wrestling again but I don't know if it's true. I would legitimately pop for a Haruka run-in on Omega.

Oh I reckon anyone familiar with their match would mark the **** out for that. :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Oh I reckon anyone familiar with their match would mark the **** out for that. :laugh:

35cr8kk.gif

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hell, even if Haruka showed up in NXT in a few years, that'd be pretty cool.

How many others already in the business could say they wrestled their first pro match before they finished grade school? :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Mixed whatever challenge was the perfect time. Something you never see and people MAY tune in just to catch a couple matches. AJ/Flair vs. Asuka/Anyone... Yes. All 4 competitors can go against one another. I'd mark the f*** out.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Mixed whatever challenge was the perfect time. Something you never see and people MAY tune in just to catch a couple matches. AJ/Flair vs. Asuka/Anyone... Yes. All 4 competitors can go against one another. I'd mark the **** out.

I watched some of the mixed challenge matches that WWE has put on. Good fun in some cases. There is no good reason for there to be a credible sequence between Asuka and Styles though in a match that is presented in a serious manner though. That isn't even meant to be a shot as Asuka, in my eyes the best woman in WWE and easily a better wrestler than many of the men in WWE, but simply an acknowledgement that wrestling takes place in at least a mildly realistic setting. Some fans will like it and others won't, though a lot who won't probably already stopped watching wrestling or won't give AEW a chance anyway, if it tried something like that.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I watched some of the mixed challenge matches that WWE has put on. Good fun in some cases. There is no good reason for there to be a credible sequence between Asuka and Styles though in a match that is presented in a serious manner though. That isn't even meant to be a shot as Asuka, in my eyes the best woman in WWE and easily a better wrestler than many of the men in WWE, but simply an acknowledgement that wrestling takes place in at least a mildly realistic setting. Some fans will like it and others won't, though a lot who won't probably already stopped watching wrestling or won't give AEW a chance anyway, if it tried something like that.
I fall into that camp. Any man vs woman stuff completely ruins my suspension of disbelief, especially when you have guys the size of a lot of WWE guys.

It's worth pointing out, that when LU did man vs women stuff their audience significantly dropped. And that was a setting where you might have been able to get away with it too.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I fall into that camp. Any man vs woman stuff completely ruins my suspension of disbelief, especially when you have guys the size of a lot of WWE guys.

It's worth pointing out, that when LU did man vs women stuff their audience significantly dropped. And that was a setting where you might have been able to get away with it too.

I thought they did it well, it was after the sexy starr trying to murder ppl and then put in a prominent spot tanked it

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i also enjoyed LU intergender stuff.
but im just simply a fan of it.

here locally they do alot of that in the indys. the men and women are one division only.
we had local awards this week (quebec indy). Evil Uno's feud against women wrestlers was one of the top.
i guess they did it right, but when youre fighting Vanessa Kraven, i believe she could beat anyone. (and of course im not talking bout Brock Lesnar/WWE size guys)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cody is having knee surgery tomorrow, so it seems unlikely that he’ll wrestle at Double or Nothing

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

I mean, a lot of Kana's intergender stuff in Japan was about 80% shoot. You can have a good, even stiff intergender match.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, a lot of Kana's intergender stuff in Japan was about 80% shoot. You can have a good, even stiff intergender match.

Stiff yes. Not close to shoot, at least the things that I have seen. The stuff with Suzuki is also the uncomfortable other side of the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad