All Elite Wrestling #1: AEW announced TV deal with TNT, partners with B/R Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Id agree with what others have said is that AEW might have like 4-6 PPVs instead? If the TV product can grab you I wonder if you'd change your tune on $35 for a good PPV buildup every few months? I think it would definitely change my tune as opposed to a monthly PPV.

Every few months sure. I would be a lot more open to that!

I guess what I'm saying is if is a monthly thing, I'm definitely out.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Every few months sure. I would be a lot more open to that!

I guess what I'm saying is if is a monthly thing, I'm definitely out.

Yeah $35 monthly for PPVs I would probably be out too due to what you mentioned, lack of friends to splut costs with who watch wrestling anymore or who live nearby.

Every few months with a good TV product? I am most likely in for it.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
If I were DragonGate, I would've countered that Kenny can beat PAC, but only if Kenny comes over and returns the favor in Japan on one of their shows.

AEW wouldn't have gone for that for a myriad of reasons, but at least DG can say they tried to work something out.
Dragon Gate don't need to try and do anything. It is not their show or promotion.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah $35 monthly for PPVs I would probably be out too due to what you mentioned, lack of friends to splut costs with who watch wrestling anymore or who live nearby.

Every few months with a good TV product? I am most likely in for it.
I know at some point there was talk about maybe having some big shows on TV as specials, but I've no idea if that is still on the table. It'll all depend on the TV deal they made, which still doesn't have the details yet so we might not find out for a while.

Oct 18, 2011
Dragon Gate is not going to let their top champion eat a pin. That’s just dumb, especially with what they’re trying to do with PAC and building the next star.

I don’t understand why you don’t get that promotions don’t ordinarily let their champs eat pins if they’re being shared to someone else.
All I'm saying is the DG fans know the biz is a work, this is as much exposure as they'll ever get. If it's a competitive match who cares, there's no proof that Pac losing would hurt their business

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
its an AEW match. DG wins absolutely nothing if people buy Double Or Nothing.... its AEW getting the exposure.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
also it was mentioned in Rey De Reyes. But only confirmed today. its officially in spanish too. with my man Hugo Savinovich
ATANGANA!

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Dragon Gate don't need to try and do anything. It is not their show or promotion.
lel never said they did, it's just a compromise for the sake of playing ball and for them to try to actually get something out of it.

Imagine if AEW went for it for some reason. Have your guy beat the man that just headlined the Tokyo Dome for the #1 promotion in Japan?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
lel never said they did, it's just a compromise for the sake of playing ball and for them to try to actually get something out of it.

Imagine if AEW went for it for some reason. Have your guy beat the man that just headlined the Tokyo Dome for the #1 promotion in Japan?
Why play ball? There is no playing going on. There is no two-way street here. It's all AEW.

AEW wanted Pac, they got Pac with the standard conditions. They later decided that they no longer wanted Pac, so he's off the show. The end.

This wasn't a relationship with Dragon Gate. This was just AEW hiring a guy who works for Dragon Gate to work their show. Dragon Gate was never trying to get anything out of it, nor do they seem interested in doing so.

It would be different if Dragon Gate and AEW were going to work together going forward, but as they are not there's no reason to get anything out of it.

And in the general case, any exposure or whatever Dragon Gate might get doesn't matter if they are not intending to (or able to) make use of it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Apparently PAC was scheduled to beat Page, to set up Omega vs Pac, where Omega would go over, which is what PAC had an issue with.

Since he wouldn't do that, they scrapped the Page match from this weekend as the purpose was to set up the match with Omega.

If they can get Moxley, I wonder if they do Page vs Moxley and then Moxley vs Omega instead.

Reactions: TimeZone and Fro

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Apparently PAC was scheduled to beat Page, to set up Omega vs Pac, where Omega would go over, which is what PAC had an issue with.

Since he wouldn't do that, they scrapped the Page match from this weekend as the purpose was to set up the match with Omega.

If they can get Moxley, I wonder if they do Page vs Moxley and then Moxley vs Omega instead.
This is brand new information.

Reactions: Fro

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Why play ball? There is no playing going on. There is no two-way street here. It's all AEW.
lel because there is the opportunity to turn a negative (it's not DG's negative, it's AEW negative and it's a big negative because we're days away and it's all anybody is talking about in regards to their first show) into a positive, get something out of it and, on the off chance AEW would've agreed, benefited huge?

Any theoretical perception damage of their champion losing would be offset and then some if they could've swung a one-time trade off where there guy beats Omega in Japan. Omega/PAC would be huge business for them.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I couldn't remember :laugh: I nearly put a " @M.C.G. 31 may have posted this" on that post.
I posted it days ago, then someone else, then you lol.

It’s good they weren’t thinking of Page over PAC, but the Omega one was always going to be the obstacle because PAC isn’t eating pins as champ, plain and simple.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
lel because there is the opportunity to turn a negative (it's not DG's negative, it's AEW negative and it's a big negative because we're days away and it's all anybody is talking about in regards to their first show) into a positive, get something out of it and, on the off chance AEW would've agreed, benefited huge?

Any theoretical perception damage of their champion losing would be offset and then some if they could've swung a one-time trade off where there guy beats Omega in Japan. Omega/PAC would be huge business for them.
It doesn't matter if it's a big match or not if you don't want it or are unable to make use of it. A taking a gain just because it's a gain doesn't always mean it's worth doing. It's perfectly reasonable to not do something when you already want to do something else (and aren't looking to bring in outsiders).

Dragon Gate are more than fine doing what they are already doing. They are in the middle of a regime change, and probably have their plans already in place. No need for a random match for the sake of having a it when they can instead focus on themselves and still do fine.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Some credit to AEW if it is true that the plan was for Page to lose. The issue still should have been avoidable ( or at the very least something that could have been mitigated weeks ago) and still doesn't look good for the company but it's not as bad as if they just dug in their heels on Page.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Dragon Gate are more than fine doing what they are already doing. They are in the middle of a regime change, and probably have their plans already in place. No need for a random match for the sake of having a it when they can instead focus on themselves and still do fine.
lel they could 100% use the business. The regime change is struggling.

Their Kobe Festival last year did literal 50% less than 2017. This year who knows if it dips or stays stable. They're not as comfortably in the #2 spot in Japan as they once were.

With Omega/PAC, they could run Sumo Hall with a match like that. Have your guy beat the guy who just headlined the Tokyo Dome as IWGP Champion? Stuff like that matters in Japan. That would mean nothing but big gains for Dragon Gate.

Last edited:

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I wouldnt have a problem with PAC going over Omega. AEW needs to be careful not to book Omega to be too unbeatable

Reactions: El Dandy and Fro

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
All I want from AEW is to be an alternative.

The minute they start making the same mistakes TNA made, they're done.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
All I want from AEW is to be an alternative.

The minute they start making the same mistakes TNA made, they're done.

To be fair, TNA tried to compete with the WWE.

AEW has made it a point they aren’t going to compete or be the same as the WWE.

Oct 18, 2011

Imagine not wanting to work with arguably the best wrestler in the biz bc you aren't going to win. Pac comes off badly here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->