All-Decade Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I want to find out which players deserve to be placed on an all-time team from every decade, starting from the 60's up until the 90's.
It may be tough to determine what era some players may belong in... so I'll leave that up to you, the poster, to determine that criteria. A player who played a majority of his career during the 80's and the last couple of years in the 90's could be slotted as an 80's era player.
Or if a player enjoyed his most successful and productive seasons during a certain time period, he will belong in the team that represents that era. So Wayne Gretzky for example would be representing the 80's era NHL All-Stars.

Agree or disagree with anyone's list, I just want to see what you think and your rosters, so let's try to cut down on the arguements (I don't want any flame wars!). So with that, I will start with my roster of 20 players (18 skaters and 2 goalies) to represent the 90's and the 80's.

'90s Era NHL All-Stars​
Robitaille-Sakic-Hull
Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure
Shanahan-Lindros-Jagr
Fleury-Roenick-Selanne

Lidstrom-Leetch
Stevens-Blake
Chelios-MacInnis

Hasek-Richter​

'80s Era NHL All-Stars​
Messier-Gretzky-Kurri
Hawerchuk-Lemieux-Bossy
Gartner-Yzerman-Neely
Goulet-D.Savard-Tocchet

Bourque-Coffey
Housley-Potvin
D.Wilson-L.Murphy

Roy-Fuhr​

It certainly isn't easy to come up with these rosters as a lot of great names are to be left out, but I made up my list judged by the production and excitement these players brought onto the ice. I am also aware some players positions in my lineups are off with wingers playing the wrong side or centers playing on wing; I had to place these names on a roster full of stars, so I'm sure you will understand why the lines appear the way they do.
Later on I will try to come up with 20-man rosters for 60's and 70's era All-Stars. 'Til then, please be open to post your 20-man rosters of 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's era All-Stars.

RoyIsALegend*

Patrick Roy was much more dominant throughout the 1990s than the 1980s.

Far, far better.

monkey_00*

Ziggy Stardust said:
I want to find out which players deserve to be placed on an all-time team from every decade, starting from the 60's up until the 90's.
It may be tough to determine what era some players may belong in... so I'll leave that up to you, the poster, to determine that criteria. A player who played a majority of his career during the 80's and the last couple of years in the 90's could be slotted as an 80's era player.
Or if a player enjoyed his most successful and productive seasons during a certain time period, he will belong in the team that represents that era. So Wayne Gretzky for example would be representing the 80's era NHL All-Stars.

Agree or disagree with anyone's list, I just want to see what you think and your rosters, so let's try to cut down on the arguements (I don't want any flame wars!). So with that, I will start with my roster of 20 players (18 skaters and 2 goalies) to represent the 90's and the 80's.

'90s Era NHL All-Stars​
Robitaille-Sakic-Hull
Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure
Shanahan-Lindros-Jagr
Fleury-Roenick-Selanne

Lidstrom-Leetch
Stevens-Blake
Chelios-MacInnis

Hasek-Richter​

'80s Era NHL All-Stars​
Messier-Gretzky-Kurri
Hawerchuk-Lemieux-Bossy
Gartner-Yzerman-Neely
Goulet-D.Savard-Tocchet

Bourque-Coffey
Housley-Potvin
D.Wilson-L.Murphy

Roy-Fuhr​

It certainly isn't easy to come up with these rosters as a lot of great names are to be left out, but I made up my list judged by the production and excitement these players brought onto the ice. I am also aware some players positions in my lineups are off with wingers playing the wrong side or centers playing on wing; I had to place these names on a roster full of stars, so I'm sure you will understand why the lines appear the way they do.
Later on I will try to come up with 20-man rosters for 60's and 70's era All-Stars. 'Til then, please be open to post your 20-man rosters of 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's era All-Stars.

Ziggy Stardust.................

It would be very interesting to see what the teams from the early years (1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s) would look like........even though those teams would be no match for the teams from the 1980s onwards.

Cheers!

RoyIsALegend*

monkey_00 said:
Ziggy Stardust.................

It would be very interesting to see what the teams from the early years (1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s) would look like........even though those teams would be no match for the teams from the 1980s onwards.

Cheers!

I think a 1970s team full of Habs and Bruins would demolish any other team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
RoyIsALegend said:
Patrick Roy was much more dominant throughout the 1990s than the 1980s.

Far, far better.

That is true, but I felt that Hasek's accomplishment's in the 90's were unheard of. I also considered Brodeur for a spot on the 90's team, but Mike Richter didn't get much accolade for his performance during the 90's, and he was one of the most exciting netminders in the NHL.

Therefore I felt it was appropriate to include Roy with the 80's set, balance things out and have a couple of the best netminders in NHL history go head-to-head in a matchup of the most dominant goalies. And I will forever remember Roy in a Canadiens uniform (sorry Avs fans).

monkey_00*

RoyIsALegend said:
I think a 1970s team full of Habs and Bruins would demolish any other team.

RoyIsALegend...........

OK I forgot to include the 1970s...you're right....those guys were great.........I was mainly referring to the EARLY years like the 1920s, 1930s and 40s.......a couple of guys in these Forums seem to think that the players that dominated in the NHL in the 1930s and 40s would also dominate if they were able to play in the present day NHL......what do you think?

Cheers!

RoyIsALegend*

monkey_00 said:
RoyIsALegend...........

OK I forgot to include the 1970s...you're right....those guys were great.........I was mainly referring to the EARLY years like the 1920s, 1930s and 40s.......a couple of guys in these Forums seem to think that the players that dominated in the NHL in the 1930s and 40s would also dominate if they were able to play in the present day NHL......what do you think?

Cheers!

I think it's extremely difficult to compare the players from the 20s, 30s and 40s to the players now-a-days. Absolutely everything from equipment, to training, to body structure, to mentality has changed in regards to hockey.

For fun's sake... I think the massive specimens we have on the ice currently would crush those dudes, for sure. I just think the 70s team would kill everybody because they have the best team of all-time there, the Montreal Canadiens of 73-79.

I'm Portuguese and in Mississauga, too... just felt like adding that in there. ;)

KOVALEV10*

Off the top of my head.

60-s team would have to include Beliveau, Hull, Mikita, Mahovlich, Plante, Harvey, ect.

70-s team:Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne, Larry Robinson and Ken Dryden

80-s team: Gretzky, Messier, Coffee Lemieux, Bourque, Fuhr, Smith.

90-s team: Lemieux, Gretzky, Bourque, Roy, Hasek, Lidstrom.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
KOVALEV10 said:
Off the top of my head.

60-s team would have to include Beliveau, Hull, Mikita, Mahovlich, Plante, Harvey, ect.

70-s team:Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne, Larry Robinson and Ken Dryden

80-s team: Gretzky, Messier, Coffee Lemieux, Bourque, Fuhr, Smith.

90-s team: Lemieux, Gretzky, Bourque, Roy, Hasek, Lidstrom.

That looks pretty good.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
only numbers...

"PLAYERS - MOST PTS/DECADE"

1950-51 - 1959-60

LW

Player - Pts
===============
Lindsay Ted - 557
Olmstead Bert - 463
Stasiuk Vic - 322
Smith Sid - 304
Mickoski Nick - 301

C

Player - Pts
================
Beliveau Jean - 505
Sloan Tod - 441
Delvecchio Alex - 425
Mackell Fleming Mac - 347

RW

Player - Pts
==================
Howe Gordie - 806
Richard Maurice - 552
Geoffrion Bernie - 525
Moore Dickie - 434
Bathgate Andy - 428

D

Player - Pts
================
Kelly Red - 407
Harvey Doug - 360
Gadsby Bill - 339
Stanley Allan - 221
Pronovost Marcel - 213
Mohns Doug - 213

1960-61 - 1969-70

LW

Player - Pts
==============
Hull Bobby - 786
Mahovlich Frank - 636
Bucyk John - 583
Prentice Dean - 449
Pulford Bob - 421

C

Player - Pts
===============
Mikita Stan - 827
Ullman Norm - 675
Delvecchio Alex - 660
Beliveau Jean - 633
Keon Dave - 549

RW

Player - Pts
===============
Howe Gordie - 780
Rousseau Bobby - 522
Bathgate Andy - 501
Wharram Kenny - 481
Nevin Bob - 451

D

Player - Pts
==============
Mohns Doug - 403
Pilote Pierre - 361
Horton Tim - 289
Orr Bobby - 256
Howell Harry - 254

1970-71 - 1979-80

LW

Player - Pts
================
Martin Rick - 674
Cashman Wayne - 605
Barber Bill - 595
Bucyk John - 592
Shutt Steve - 552

C

Player - Pts
===============
Esposito Phil - 1087
Dionne Marcel - 928
Clarke Bobby - 891
Perreault Gil - 869
Ratelle Jean - 861

RW

Player - Pts
==============
Lafleur Guy - 941
Robert Rene - 633
Pronovost Jean - 631
Gilbert Rod - 586
Cournoyer Yvan - 563

D

Player - Pts
==============
Orr Bobby - 659
Park Brad - 574
Potvin Denis - 544
Lapointe Guy - 542
Vadnais Carol - 453

1980-81 - 1989-90

LW

Player - Pts
===============
Goulet Michel - 896
Anderson Glenn - 841
Propp Brian - 785
Ogrodnick John - 699
Tonelli John - 692

C

Player - Pts
==================
Gretzky Wayne - 1842
Stastny Peter - 1059
Savard Denis - 1012
Messier Mark - 937
Hawerchuk Dale - 929

RW

Player - Pts
=================
Kurri Jari - 1043
Gartner Mike - 821
Bossy Mike - 817
Ciccarelli Dino - 745
Taylor Dave - 741

D

Player - Pts
==============
Coffey Paul - 952
Bourque Ray - 775
Murphy Larry - 629
Wilson Doug - 618
Howe Mark - 563

1990-91 - 1999-00

LW

Player - Pts
===============
Robitaille Luc - 756
Shanahan Brendan - 731
Leclair John - 615
Stevens Kevin - 597
Thomas Steve - 575

C

Player - Pts
===============
Oates Adam - 896
Sakic Joe - 896
Gretzky Wayne - 878
Yzerman Steve - 870
Turgeon Pierre - 827

RW

Player - Pts
===============
Jagr Jaromir - 958
Recchi Mark - 864
Hull Brett - 842
Fleury Theo - 818
Selanne Teemu - 729

D

Player - Pts
===============
Bourque Ray - 680
Leetch Brian - 640
Macinnis Al - 598
Coffey Paul - 575
Housley Phil - 572

2000-01 - 2003-04

LW

Player - Pts
===================
Naslund Markus - 353
Bertuzzi Todd - 297
Elias Patrik - 295
Tkachuk Keith - 280
Shanahan Brendan - 272

C

Player - Pts
=================
Sakic Joe - 342
Thornton Joe - 313
Sundin Mats - 301
Modano Mike - 290
Fedorov Sergei - 285

RW

Player - Pts
================
Jagr Jaromir - 351
Iginla Jarome - 307
Hossa Marian - 303
Alfredsson Daniel - 300
Hejduk Milan - 296

D

Player - Pts
====================
Gonchar Sergei - 241
Lidstrom Nicklas - 230
Leetch Brian - 215
Blake Rob - 206
Zubov Sergei - 192

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
mytor4 said:
m.richter being there is a laugh.

not a laugh, because Richter was awesome. but assuming Roy is still listed for the 1980's, i think you've gotta give Belfour the nod ahead of Richter for the 1990's...

1 Calder, 4 Jennings, 2 Vezina's, 1 Cup

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
mytor4 said:
m.richter being there is a laugh.

as much as I hate Richter, and as much as he ran on his name for the last 3 years of his career, he was a damn good goalie and worthy of mention. Not the top two, but probably top 5.

And I have a hard time putting Roenick on an all decade team. The guy has had some good years, but has never been a huge scoring machine to be considered elite imo.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Raider Zero said:
And I have a hard time putting Roenick on an all decade team. The guy has had some good years, but has never been a huge scoring machine to be considered elite imo.

yeah, roenick's been awesome, but i'd put Modano (the biggest ommission on the list IMO) ahead of him and a few other guys

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Raider Zero said:
I think Adam Oates should replace him.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
'80s Era NHL All-Stars

Hawerchuk-Gretzky-Kurri
Goulet-Lemieux-Bossy
Neely-Messier-McDonald
Gillies-Trottier-Carbonneau

Potvin-Bourque
Coffey-Langway
Housley-Murphy

Smith
Fuhr

/edit: missed the ruling on determining player's eras, and have to admit that Yzerman, Stevens, Robinson and Gainey probably don't belong in the 80's.

Last edited:

monkey_00*

RoyIsALegend said:
I think it's extremely difficult to compare the players from the 20s, 30s and 40s to the players now-a-days. Absolutely everything from equipment, to training, to body structure, to mentality has changed in regards to hockey.

For fun's sake... I think the massive specimens we have on the ice currently would crush those dudes, for sure. I just think the 70s team would kill everybody because they have the best team of all-time there, the Montreal Canadiens of 73-79.

I'm Portuguese and in Mississauga, too... just felt like adding that in there. ;)

Agreed..........I too think those guys from back then would be "crushed".......good to know we have some other people that feel the same way about that like I do...........

Cheers!

(I hope Figo plays for Portugal for the next World Cup) :D

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
90's
Shanahan-Sakic-Jagr
Robitaille-Oates-Hull
Yzerman-Federov-Lindros
Brindamour-Roenick-Gilmour

Leetch-Stevens
Lidstrom-Chelios
Blake-Macinnis

Hasek
Roy

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Interesting question. Here’s what I did: every time a player is on the 1st all-star team, they get 2 points. Every time they’re on the 2nd all-star team, they get 1 point. Then I create teams by decade based on their points, so that the highest ranking at each position is on the first line, second-highest ranking is on the second line, etc.

Example: Bobby Hull earned a spot on two first-teams and one second-team during the 70’s so he gets 5 points (2+2+1). This ranks him 2nd among LW’s, so Hull is the left winger on the 2nd line.

All-00’s Team

Markus Naslund / Joe Sakic / Jaromir Jagr
Brendan Shanahan / Mats Sundin / Jarome Iginla
Patrik Elias / Peter Forsberg / Martin St. Louis
Paul Kariya / Steve Yzerman / Todd Bertuzzi

Nicklas Lidstrom / Chris Pronger
Rob Blake / Al MacInnis
Chris Chelios / Ray Bourque

Martin Brodeur / Dominik Hasek

All-90’s Team

Luc Robitaille / Mario Lemieux / Jaromir Jagr
John LeClair / Wayne Gretkzy / Teemu Selanne
Paul Kariya / Peter Forsberg / Brett Hull
Kevin Stevens / Eric Lindros / Cam Neely

Ray Bourque / Chris Chelios
Brian Leetch / Al MacInnis
Scott Stevens / Nicklas Lidstrom

Dominik Hasek / Patrick Roy

All-80’s Team

Michel Goulet / Wayne Gretzky / Mike Bossy
Luc Robitaille / Mario Lemieux / Jari Kurri
Mark Messier / Marcel Dionne / Guy Lafleur
Charlie Simmer / Bryan Trottier / Joe Mullen

Ray Bourque / Paul Coffey
Mark Howe / Rod Langway
Larry Robinson / Denis Potvin

Grant Fuhr / Patrick Roy

All-70’s Team

Rick Martin / Phil Esposito / Guy Lafleur
Bobby Hull / Bobby Clarke / Ken Hodge
Clark Gillies / Bryan Trottier / Mickey Redmond
Bill Barber / Marcel Dionne / Yvan Cournoyer

Bobby Orr / Denis Potvin
Borje Salming / Brad Park
Larry Robinson / Guy Lapointe

Ken Dryden / Tony Esposito

All-60’s Team

Bobby Hull / Stan Mikita / Gordie Howe
Frank Mahovlich / Jean Beliveau / Ken Wharram
Johnny Bucyk / Phil Esposito / Bernie Geoffrion
Don Marshall / Norm Ullman / Andy Bathgate

Pierre Pilote / Tim Horton
Doug Harvey / Jacques Laperriere
Bobby Orr / Marcel Pronovost

Glen Hall / Eddie Giacomin

All-50’s Team

Ted Lindsay / Jean Beliveau / Gordie Howe
Dickie Moore / Henri Richard / Maurice Richard
Sid Smith / Ken Mosdell / Andy Bathgate
Bert Olmstead / Milt Schmidt / Bernie Geoffrion

Doug Harvey / Red Kelly
Bill Gadsby / Bill Quackenbush
Fern Flaman / Tom Johnson

Terry Sawchuk / Jacques Plante

All 40’s Team

Doug Bentley / Bill Cowley / Maurice Richard
Toe Blake / Elmer Lach / Bryan Hextall
Lynn Patrick / Milt Schmidt / Lorne Carr
Sid Abel / Syl Apps / Bobby Bauer

Earl Seibert / Jack Stewart
Emile Bouchard / Bill Quackenbush
Dit Clapper / Kenny Reardon

Bill Durnan / Frank Brimsek

All 30’s Team

Harvey Jackson / Frank Boucher / Charlie Conacher
Aurel Joliat / Howie Morenz / Bill Cook
Dave Schriner / Hooley Smith / Dit Clapper
Paul Thompson / Syl Apps / Cecil Drillon

Eddie Shore / Babe Seibert
Ching Johnson / King Clancy
Earl Seibert / Lionerl Conacher

Charlie Gardiner / Tiny Thompson

Yes, these are just numbers. I’m not taking into account chemistry or anything beyond all-star selections. But I think it’s an interesting way of making teams and the results look pretty good.

jb**

Ziggy Stardust said:

'90s Era NHL All-Stars​
Robitaille-Sakic-Hull
Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure
Shanahan-Lindros-Jagr
Fleury-Roenick-Selanne

Lidstrom-Leetch
Stevens-Blake
Chelios-MacInnis

Hasek-Richter​

'80s Era NHL All-Stars​
Messier-Gretzky-Kurri
Hawerchuk-Lemieux-Bossy
Gartner-Yzerman-Neely
Goulet-D.Savard-Tocchet

Bourque-Coffey
Housley-Potvin
D.Wilson-L.Murphy

Roy-Fuhr​

where is Broduer, Ron Francis, Mark Howe, Lafontaine, Dave Andrechuk?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Like I said... many great names will be left out. I did consider some of the names suggested (such as LaFontaine). I was thinking maybe as a rule of thumb for players to qualify for the 80's All-Stars, they should at least be retired (or on the verge of retirement).

And I should have had a cut-off date for players in the 90's. Going up to the lockout year of 1995. Does that sound fair enough? Either way, I am enjoying everyone elses opinion and take on the subject. Keep them coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad