Speculation: All-Canadian Division for 2021?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015

If this is true, then logically, you'd split the remaining 24 teams into three divisions of 8. Some dude on Reddit mocked it up.

6aky3hl045t51.png

Pacific: LV, LA, ANA, ARI, SJ, COL, MIN, DAL

Central: STL, CHI, DET, CBJ, FLA, TB, CAR, NSH

Atlantic: BUF, PHI, NYI, NYR, NJ, BOS, WSH, and us.

So, theoretically, our division would be mostly unchanged save for swapping Columbus and Carolina with Boston and Buffalo. Do you think that improves or worsens our chances of making the playoffs next year? I don't think it changes much. Columbus is probably a lock for the playoffs. Boston is getting older and slower but they are still a playoff contender. Carolina and Buffalo could go either way. So I don't think this makes the 'Metro' division significantly worse or better.

The All-Canada division looks super interesting though. Besides Toronto and Vancouver, every other team is decidedly 'meh', so it could be a relatively easy playoff spot for Edmonton, or Calgary.

New Pacific division is soff. Vegas, Dallas, and Colorado run away with it. Actually, if the Canada division is considered "western" and the playoff format is unchanged, I could see Five Canadian teams making it.

If they are planning on making four 'bubbles', with no inter-divisional play, then I guess the playoffs would need to start with the top 4 teams in each division with no wild cards. If THAT's the case, then we could be royally screwed as every team besides NYR and NJ are solid playoff contenders.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
How does an all-Canadian division make sense? I don't get it.

Canada won’t let teams cross without a 14 day quarantine.

Although they could set up a North Eastern hub in say Toronto.

With COVID the way it is I imagine there will be 4-6 hub cities and teams will rotate (2 week quarantine per rotation)

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Geographically I wouldn't be surprised if the Penguins ended up in the Central division.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I would so much rather be in that mock “Southern” division.The mock “Eastern” looks hellacious.

I don’t think this will be popular- but if this was the alignment for 48 games imo there should be another 24 team tourney. The divisions just aren’t fair enough to give each 3 slots and then 2 wild cards per conference.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Columbus and Carolina both should be locks for the playoffs... would be much less concerned facing Buffalo (goaltending/depth) and Boston (injuries)

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Geographically I wouldn't be surprised if the Penguins ended up in the Central division.
Why? The travel would be totally choice for us! Every team in the eastern division is a short distance. That would be ideal for us.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Well, this will be awful, but you know the NHL will never have us in another division because they pump the hell out of "rivalry", and will probably do so even more in a shortened season. Gotta have us play the Caps, Rangers, Flyers 500 times.

Whatever, its probably the best of a bad situation.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If your goal is to just deal with the Canadian border, that makes sense. If your goal is to limit travel, you could go one step further and split it into 5 divisions. 3 playoff teams per division, 1 wildcard.

Canadian ( 7 teams): TOR, MTL, OTT, WPG, CAL, EDM, VAN
Western (6 teams): LAK, ANA, SJS, VGK, ARI, COL
Central (6 teams): MIN, DAL, CHI, STL, NSH, DET
Appalachian (6 teams): PIT, CBJ, BUF, CAR, TBL, FLA
Eastern (6 teams): NYR, NYI, NJD, PHI, BOS, WASH

This is probably too weird to work, but whatever. The smaller divisions mean more games played against each team. You could work some kind of doubleheader system where you play against a team Fri/Sun in their building, and then later in the season do the same at yours. Some of those second games would get nasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->